Xssights   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Truck made it to a milestone

Cool

Toyota (no name compact pre-Tacama) 1988 I4 5SP 4X4.
    389K with original engine and transmission.

Current Driver?
    Toyota Tacoma 2013 I4 5SP 4X4.
    Go Figure?

Take the valve covers off an engine with conventional oil and then the ones with synthetic oil then decide which oil you'd rather have in your engine.

If properly maintained, there's no reason any modern car or truck shouldn't do 200K w/o major problems.

Currently my three cars are low mileage, but I have driven a 89 and 94 Astro van to over 170K miles, a 98 Blazer to 150K, and an 02 Santa Fe to 120K with few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTana View Post
    Take the valve covers off an engine with conventional oil and then the ones with synthetic oil then decide which oil you'd rather have in your engine.
    Only run full synthetic - Final Answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    Only run full synthetic - Final Answer.
    I agree! Ford, GM, Mercedes, and BMW all specify synthetic. Ford, GM, and Mecedes recommend Mobile One and BMW Castrol or Shell.

I'm a synthetic oil psycho. Read piles of literature on the oil. Really is superior in every way compared to conventional oil. I put it in everything, cars, trucks, lawn mowers, 1955 Ford tractor. Need conventional only for new engine break-in, synthetic is too slippery for that.

Funny, my 2000 Chevy Blazer owners manual makes no mention of using synthetic oil, just lists the weight of the oil you should use. I have used synthetic only in the 2006 Monte Carlo and the 1998 Camaro SS, though. The 1990 C1500 I had went over 300,000 miles and only used conventional in it.

I've found unscientificly that conventional oil is good at clogging leaks on worn seals when used from day one. Put synthetic in an engine that always used convensional that has 100k plus miles and watch it start leaking. (Dont ask me how i know this but it has happened twice to me.)

I have a camry that I bought with 104k on it that always had used conventional oil and that's all I'll run in it and its up to 145k now. Everything else runs Mobil 1.

My story tells me don't switch back and forth, just stick to one or the other.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    Toyota (no name compact pre-Tacama) 1988 I4 5SP 4X4.
    389K with original engine and transmission.

Current Driver?
    Toyota Tacoma 2013 I4 5SP 4X4.
    Go Figure?
    Now thats cool there.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Have been puttin' around in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport for almost 17 years, but am 8,000+ miles shy of 100,000.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling