Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What self defense rounds are you using?

Default What self defense rounds are you using?

I recently picked up a CM9 that, according to the seller, has 300 "break-in" rounds through it. It feeds ball ammo just fine, but when I tried running some Winchester 147g JHP white box, it jambs when trying to feed the 1st round. On a good note, although I have yet to fire it, it does feed Federal Personal Defense 124g ok which is obviously what I will keep in it if it cycles properly.
    Here is what happens every time I try and load a Winchester round....

So, this is using the sling shot method to chamber the first round? If so, try Kahr's recommendation of locking the slide back and the using the slide release to chamber the first round from the top of the magazine. Also, you probably already know, but 147 grain is longer OAL than 115 and 124. That extra length may be contributing also. However, I personally carry 147 grain standard pressure Federal HST in my CM9. I can sling shot the first round of those (and any other ammo) into the chamber with ease now after changing to a Lakeline metal magazine follower. Prior to changing the follower I could only sling shot range ball ammo, not hollow points.

Yes, slingshot method. It seems impossible to load it any other way since the slide will not lock back with rounds in the mag, it automatically shoves a round in the chamber when I pull the slide back. Plus I am a lefty so using the slide release is pretty awkward. However, it will lock back with any empty mag. BUT, for whatever reason, it is now feeding the Winchester after numerous attempts before I posted. When the temps warm up, I will get it out and see if it cycles properly with both defense rounds I have.

I use Golden Saber 124 grain anyways. The gun might not have as many rounds thru it as claimed...nor do you know how it was cared for. I usually clean and lube a used gun real well then break it in just like it was new (it is to me ). At some point if the break-in progresses normally, your gun should feed most any round and you should be able to slingshot the first round. I hope that helps.

P.S. some guns never shoot some particular ammo and that discovery is part of the break-in IMHO.

P.S.S. +1 Lakeline LLC followers.
    ​O|||||||O

It should sling shot just fine. The trick is there's no room for error in your slingshot technique. It needs the full travel of the slide which is why using the slide stop is recommended.

I slingshot mine with no trouble, you just can't ride the slide or fail to pull it completely back.

Some have modified the followers and Lakelines followers help considerable in that area.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Just read post #3. Sounds like it is improving already. Yes, lock the slide back before you insert the mag. Learning to manipulate the slidestop (even being a lefty) is encouraged.
    ​O|||||||O

Golden Saber 147gr, normal pressure, no problems in an old style PM9. I sling shot everything, works great on the kahr too, it's well broken in though.
    NRA Benefactor

The slide won't lock back with a full magazine inserted. You must push up on the slide lock lever while pulling the slide to the rear. You can use an inserted empty magazine to lock the slide back when it's pulled to the rear.

If your slide won't lock back when racked on an empty chamber AND an empty magazine, the slide lock spring could be damaged or not assembled correctly with the free end of the spring resting on the ledge of the slide lock lever.

Any ammo you choose to carry for self defense should be thoroughly tested with live fire at the range. Don't be cheap, but fire several magazines full and test mag + 1 loading and reloading. With the slide forward, the full magazine may be hard to seat properly and may require a firm grip of the top of the slide and the bottom of the inserted magazine for that "click" and secure lockup.

I use Speer Golden Sabers Short Barrel for all available calibers in my defensive pistols... 124-gr +P GDSB for 9mm.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I use winchester's 147gr JHP's from their "Train & Defend" line in all my carry 9's

Federal HST 124gr standard pressure in my PM9. I use the slide stop method when loading, and have no problems. I have also run Federal HST 147gr standard pressure in the PM9 with no function problems as well; I just don't shoot it as accurately as the 124gr.

Tim