Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new

Thread: +P capable?

Default +P capable?

There was a discussion in this forum that ended in November. Rather than resurrect it I'll ask here. Is the new tech ammo like ARX, Liberty Civil Defense, Underwood/LeHigh, etc. OK to use in my PM45? A lot of them are +P and I can shoot it in my Ruger P345. I'm not sure about my Kahr. What are the specs on +P in a PM/CM/CW45? Thx.
    Sent from the ethers by magic.
    Archeologists have discovered that ancient people loved to drink from broken cups.

From memory, the answer is yes. I remember the owner's manual discusses it.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

The currently available (https://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf) multi-model Kahr manual (including the PM45) does not contain any reference to +P ammunition.

The Questions & Answers section of the Kahr website (http://www.kahr.com/faq.asp) states:

Q. Which ammunition is recommended for use with Kahr firearms?

A.
    Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr do not recommend steel case, reloads or un-jacketed ammunition. The Kahr pistol is rated to +P. (bold text added for emphasis)

I would take "The Kahr pistol is rated to +P" to mean that the use of +P ammunition is acceptable, but IANAL.

+P doesn't really have a specification. It's a bit more powder than normal. How many grains is up to the manufacturer. In my experience, the +P of today s the standard load of the 20th century.

+P indicates a 10% increase in pressure over the SAMMI standard pressure. For example; a round at 35,000 standard pressure would be classed as +P at 38,500. The few that have +P+ are another 10%. Since Kahrs are designed to handle .40S&W as well as +P .40, which is a relatively high pressure round, The lower pressure rounds, 9mm and .45 should be no problem. As with any mechanical device, excess wear will result when run at higher pressure.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

+P is a SAMMI pressure over normal spec. It can vary by percentage over normal pressures. 10% over is fairly common (eg +P 9mm Para), but some can be even higher over standard pressure.

There is no standardization for +P+. Friends don't let friends shoot +P+.

Some ammo has no standardized +P spec, like .380ACP. Kahr .380s are supposed to be +P rated though. Most commercial +P .380 ammo is probably safe for limited use, but it can vary wildly.

I stopped using +p ammo in anything. I just stick to standard pressure. But, yes, you could shoot it in a Kahr if you were so inclined.

I'm sure its ok, but I've gotten away from +P even in a larger 9mm weapon. My feeling is it handles differently from practice/range ammo, its a little harder get back on target, a little more wear and tear on the gun, and not enough benefit to outweigh that. I assume those negatives are even more true in a small 45 though I don't own one myself.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by rowdy115 View Post
    I stopped using +p ammo in anything. I just stick to standard pressure. But, yes, you could shoot it in a Kahr if you were so inclined.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1