Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahr polymer framed guns not firing when cold *UPDATED* Kahr fixed it.

Default Kahr polymer framed guns not firing when cold *UPDATED* Kahr fixed it.

There is a thread here: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15635
    that describes the phenomena, but I think the discussion really belongs in the tech forum.

Summary: Some polymer framed Kahr pistols experience a consistent, repeatable malfunction when the gun is cold (sub 37 degrees F; exact temperature varies by instance).

Description of Malfunction: When the gun is cold, pulling the trigger to the rear does not immediately release the striker. There is typically a long delay (more than 1 second) before the striker falls; and the delay can sometimes be reduced by exerting extra pressure on the trigger after it is pulled completely to the rear.

Potential Causes Already Ruled Out:
    Dirty gun - others conducting this experiment have performed it with a clean gun.
    Gummed-up lubricant - others conducting this experiment have removed all lubricant and run it dry
    Dirty / improperly lubed striker channel - others conducting this experiment have disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the striker channel. Results are the same.
    Broken gun from misuse of previous owner - results are the same on a P9 purchased new from dealer

PLEASE HELP:
    You can help by running the 'freezer experiment.'
    Load snap caps and put the gun in the freezer compartment of your kitchen refrigerator / freezer for 20-30 minutes.
    Take gun out of freezer and pull the trigger. Observe whether the gun operates as normal, or if there is a long delay between trigger pull and the release of the striker.

Reply to this thread and report your results.

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE 2/11:
    I conducted several more tests, and incorporated some of the suggestions I received in this thread. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I get the same results. When the gun is cold, the striker does not fall as expected when the trigger is pulled to the rear.

I called Kahr and they gave me an RMA # and a pre-paid shipping label. I will update more after I get the gun back.

UPDATE 2/25
    I got the gun back today. On the tech worksheet, under "Action Taken," it says: "Reworked trigger. Lubed test fired good."

I put it in the freezer for 25 minutes, and it works perfect!

Also, I might be imagining it, but it seems like the trigger is a bit smoother overall.

I took it apart, and it seems like all the original parts . . . but it wasn't obvious to me what they did to fix it. . . . But it is fixed!!
    Last edited by richholland; 02-25-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Last month, when it was 19 degrees, I shot my Kahr for the second time, I'd already put 200 fmj. through it a couple of weeks before, when it was 29 degrees, no failures and NO slow fire, the striker worked normal !!! Only today on the 364th total round, did I have any kind of failure, and that was a failure to lock back the slide on the last round , follower front leg broke off, gun still ran with out any FTF's or FTE's after that. Unless there's some moisture in the channel that's frozen, I can't understand what would cause the striker to move slowly in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Ae35 View Post
    Last month, when it was 19 degrees, I shot my Kahr for the second time, I'd already put 200 fmj. through it a couple of weeks before, when it was 29 degrees, no failures and NO slow fire, the striker worked normal !!! Only today on the 364th total round, did I have any kind of failure, and that was a failure to lock back the slide on the last round , follower front leg broke off, gun still ran with out any FTF's or FTE's after that. Unless there's some moisture in the channel that's frozen, I can't understand what would cause the striker to move slowly in cold weather.
    The striker isn't moving slowly. Instead, there is a long delay before the striker falls. When it does fall, it falls at the normal pace.

It is like something is keeping the striker pulled back to the rear - like a misalignment in the cocking cam or something like that.

No delays here when it was cold ! Sorry.

Well, I live in central Texas so am not worried about my CW45 malfunctioning because of cold weather.

I wasn't aware that could be a problem with Kahr polymers. Hey, a plus for those of us that pocket carry our Kahrs... shouldn't have to worry about the issue should a situation arise.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Using what little common sense that I possess the system is mechanical not hydralic and I'm pretty sure there is no battery. As you pull the trigger back the cam pulls the striker back until such time the cam then let's the striker go and the striker spring does the rest. Could it be the cold weather thing is just a coincidence with some other malfunction?

Default good point

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    I wasn't aware that could be a problem with Kahr polymers. Hey, a plus for those of us that pocket carry our Kahrs... shouldn't have to worry about the issue should a situation arise.
    thats why I always have my hands in my pockets, u know to keep my GUN warm
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    But surely you can see my concern. If my wife wants to carry the Kahr in a shoulder bag when it is below 40 degrees outside, then, really, we won't be able to trust it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I know this for a fact. When I shoot my CW45 in the heat of summer, if I leave it in the sun while while loading magazines or whatever, the trigger breaks later, almost all the way to the back. There is some small change (expansion of polymer by fractions of an inch, .02 inch to be exact) when really hot from sitting in the sun.

It caused me trigger reset problems at first but I was able to smooth it out (c0cking cam and trigger bar by operating it) and the problem stopped. Your issue may be just the opposite.

Keep your gun warm and there shouldn't be a problem. I guess I wouldn't make my freezer a gun safe.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/