Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace

Thread: Should I be concerned?

Default Should I be concerned?

My three month old CM9 has experienced 6 nosedives, the last of which occurred around the 420th round or so. It has happened with Sellier & Bellot 124gr ball ammo and once with Federal HST 124gr. I have cleaned the gun meticulously with CLP, Gunscrubber, and an air hose and lubed all the correct points after each time to the range. I use the slide release and seem to do the right things. That's four times to the range and one to two failures each time.

I really love the CM9, but I don't know that I will feel totally comfortable carrying it as my EDC. Does it need a few hundred more rounds to work things in better or is this par for Kahrs to do this? Is the CM9 sensitive to certain ammo? Should I contact Kahr? I'm new to Kahr so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had my little CW380 out this morning. It has between 1000 and 2000 rounds now. I had a feed failure today and I knew immediately I wasn't holding the pistol correctly. I corrected my grip and fired another 250 rounds without issue. Oh, one time I hit the slide lock and locked the slide back before a mag was spent.

Could it be every now and then you are not holding it firmly enough to cycle? It happens sometimes and is just a thought based on my day.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

Concentrate on your grip................................Federal HST's are a tad longer in length than other ammo. I had a few dives with my MK. I didn't know whether it was me, or the ammo. I switched to Critical defense.

How you grip these guns is very important. If you find yourself regripping between shots your grip isn't firm enough. Sometimes a grip sleeve or stick on grip panels help with the situation. You can also try a Lakeline follower in your magazines.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

+1 one on Lakeline followers. That would be my suggestion...I have them in all my CM9 mags

My CM9 does not seem to be ammo sensitive at all, but my CW9 is more picky.
    CW9 feeds all hardball 100%. Hornady Critical Defense functions 100%. I use that for carry because my favorite, Federal HST, does not pass my weak hand only limp wrist test.
    I have ordered Lakeline followers and looking forward to trying them on my CW9, and also my CW45 which is not 100% some H.P. ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarold View Post
    My three month old CM9 has experienced 6 nosedives, the last of which occurred around the 420th round or so. It has happened with Sellier & Bellot 124gr ball ammo and once with Federal HST 124gr. I have cleaned the gun meticulously with CLP, Gunscrubber, and an air hose and lubed all the correct points after each time to the range. I use the slide release and seem to do the right things. That's four times to the range and one to two failures each time.

I really love the CM9, but I don't know that I will feel totally comfortable carrying it as my EDC. Does it need a few hundred more rounds to work things in better or is this par for Kahrs to do this? Is the CM9 sensitive to certain ammo? Should I contact Kahr? I'm new to Kahr so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Are you still using the same original mag that came with the gun? Have you picked up any new spare mags? If not then I would suggest trying a new mag and see how that works... My thinking is either the follower is worn, mag spring or something along those lines, might be prematurely worn out.

Try a new mag and see if that corrects the problem

Thanks for everyone's help and recommendations. I've shot thousands of rounds through different guns, so I don't think that it is my grip. However, I will pay more attention to my grip. I am using a rubber grip and cotton gloves. Could that pose a problem?

As far as the magazine, I did notice that there is a narrow spot near the top of the front. The bottom reads .470" but the top reads .462". Also, if I lay the magazine on its side onto a flat surface (with the flange overhanging so as not to interfere, the magazine will rock ever so slightly if I apply pressure to it. That's because it reads .480" on the rear side top and bottom. There is a taper.

I'm not sure if this normal, but the mag seems to have a lot of slop when seated into the well. I may be pressing the mag upward when gripping the gun. Additionally, maybe I am not seating the rounds fully when using the UPLULA speed loader.

I will try another magazine. If it still happens, I will try a different ammo for awhile. I'm sure that the solution to this problem is such an easy fix, but it takes time to troubleshoot.