Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Ideal Gun Work Room

Default My Ideal Gun Work Room

I find myself doing more take down and assembly of guns than I used to, often detail strip of slides and frames. The process has made me think about what my ideal room for such work would be. I really can't imagine how Bawanna, who probably does more than I, can work in a "standard" room. I'm not sure how many gun parts are somewhere in my office, but it is a growing number.

Here goes:

The ideal room would have almost nothing in it. The walls, floor, ceiling, etc would all be hard surfaces and the color could be changed from bone white to black (depending on whether I am looking for a stainless or black part that flew away). There would be no vents that parts could fly into but somehow the air would stay fresh and temperate. The only work surface would be seamlessly suspended from the ceiling so there were no legs on the floor.

For reasons having nothing to do with the task, the walls and ceiling would also be padded.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

^Yes! and also add lots of light.

Alfonse in my opinion the spring gremlins will always hide that little spring that went flying, know this from experience and somewhere in my shop there are a few springs that never came out of the black hole. The only thing I can think of is a box with a clear front on it somewhat like a sandblasting cabinet that has two holes that you can slide your hands thru. Have thought about that too. Maybe build a box entirely out of plexiglass to give a clear view
    Rest in peace old sailor Mike
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest
    Live a little learn a lot

My luck the spring would end up on the back of my hand and when I pulled it out to start profanity it would go flying and the box would be empty.

I do like the idea of padding the walls and ceilings.

Funny thing is, every pro gunsmiths shop I've ever laid eyes on looked like a complete disaster to me, loaded with stuff all over the place. My little room is beginning to look like that but I'm no closer to being a smith.

I do have to clear the bench pretty much when I do something important like work on guns, I can't work in a pile. My wife can work on 6 projects at once all on top of each other in a hodge podge fashion, no idea how she does it.

Worked with a fella one time whose desk was always a shambles, I asked how come he don't clean it up. He said the brass see's a cluttered desk and they think I'm busy, they see a clean neat desk like yours and they think you got time on your hands. My response was he could be busy for a week cleaning his desk.

I think it's call organization.

I do like the padded walls idea again though, I like that a lot.

Well I'm off to disassemble and sort out a Winchester 97 shotgun this morning. My book says they are complicated and can be challenging to the amateur. I'm doomed!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    My luck the spring would end up on the back of my hand and when I pulled it out to start profanity it would go flying and the box would be empty.

I do like the idea of padding the walls and ceilings.

Funny thing is, every pro gunsmiths shop I've ever laid eyes on looked like a complete disaster to me, loaded with stuff all over the place. My little room is beginning to look like that but I'm no closer to being a smith.

I do have to clear the bench pretty much when I do something important like work on guns, I can't work in a pile. My wife can work on 6 projects at once all on top of each other in a hodge podge fashion, no idea how she does it.

Worked with a fella one time whose desk was always a shambles, I asked how come he don't clean it up. He said the brass see's a cluttered desk and they think I'm busy, they see a clean neat desk like yours and they think you got time on your hands. My response was he could be busy for a week cleaning his desk.

I think it's call organization.

I do like the padded walls idea again though, I like that a lot.

Well I'm off to disassemble and sort out a Winchester 97 shotgun this morning. My book says they are complicated and can be challenging to the amateur. I'm doomed!

I've heard those J-Frames can be tough too......
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

Magnets everywhere to catch those flying parts!
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Don't forget the indoor range for test firing.

Padded walls and magnets everywhere!

A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind.

Tip. When I take apart a gun I do it over an old white bath towel. It prevents the parts from jumping off the bench when dropped.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I was trying to think about how many parts must be somewhere in my office and how much time I've spent looking for said parts. You would think I would at least start finding some part on these searches, but they never seem to show up again. Sigh. Need the padded walls now.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...