Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why you should almost NEVER use the “double tap”

Yep I was taught( and train) that if something needs shot once, they need shot twice. If someone can't control a double tap, then maybe they shouldn't be using a pistol in the 1st place( a SG?). IN fact, imo, if you haven't shot your pistol in the last week or so, I'd suggest not using it in an emergency. Alot of defensive shooters agree to "shoot them to the ground until they stop moving". I know that won't work in some situations, but definitely a double tap. I like, double tap, assess, double tap, assess, repeat as necessary. YMMV

1.60 bill drills, hmm? with .19 second splits on the average, so 5 hits take .95 second, which means your reaction time, draw and first hit has to average .65 second, from a concealable rig, at 7 yds, all on the chest?. I'd be willing to bet big money against that happening 3 out of 5 times, starting from hands at sides, natural stance. 1.6 can be done, but it normally takes .15-.16 second repeat hits, so that the draw and hit time can be .70+ second. Unless you're using a stopwatch? That means the times are really 1.9 second. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by swank View Post
    1.60 bill drills, hmm? with .19 second splits on the average, so 5 hits take .95 second, which means your reaction time, draw and first hit has to average .65 second, from a concealable rig, at 7 yds, all on the chest?. I'd be willing to bet big money against that happening 3 out of 5 times, starting from hands at sides, natural stance. 1.6 can be done, but it normally takes .15-.16 second repeat hits, so that the draw and hit time can be .70+ second. Unless you're using a stopwatch? That means the times are really 1.9 second. :-)

Duh !
    What I meant was my draw is about 1.60 sec. with .18 to .20 splits. That's out of a concealed Don Hume JIT holster under a T shirt.
    When I competed, my draw from a Bianchi Ray Chapman, or a Safariland competition holsters would be about 1.0 sec from the beep
    Now I can do an about 1.25 out of my old competition holster. It sucks to be old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i'm 66 and I can still crack .70 second from a speed rig, to put one on the chest at 5 yds, from hands at sides. after I warm up. But it only takes a dozen such draws before my elbow raises hell for days. The .65 second thing, there's probably only a dozen guys on the planet that can do that. I used to be the ONLY one in IPSC that could get to a Weaver Stance and do that. Thell Reed and a couple of guys could do it, now and then, with a one handed hip shot, but not consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by swank View Post
    i'm 66 and I can still crack .70 second from a speed rig, to put one on the chest at 5 yds, from hands at sides. after I warm up. But it only takes a dozen such draws before my elbow raises hell for days. The .65 second thing, there's probably only a dozen guys on the planet that can do that. I used to be the ONLY one in IPSC that could get to a Weaver Stance and do that. Thell Reed and a couple of guys could do it, now and then, with a one handed hip shot, but not consistently.
    Wow ! That really quick. I'm in my 70's which justifies the now 1.25 sec draws. The best I ever did in my hay day was .90 sec. draw with A zone hits.