CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Certain situations, how to handle?

Quote Originally Posted by f44life View Post
    Who said i was going to rely my own personal thought and reactions by what somebody tells me off the internet? I just wanted to see how people would react to different scenarios. But of course somebody has to go overboard and use reverse pychology and think to much about it. I just gave scenarios and i wanted people to react to each one to see peoples own reactions. Not to make a debate how people reacted...

In my ccw class i wrote on my paper to make the class better would be more scenarios played out and more talk about holsters...I was a little disappointed in the class.
    Yeah, you're right. Too much time on my hands and was just throwing out unasked for opinions. I'm actually pretty much past role playing theory and don't really care.
    Shoulda just left it at my original response. Simple, direct, and what anyone could expect if we were to meet on the street.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

It's cool Itxi. We realize that the real life situation is not the same thing as a forum discussion. The forum discussion is for folks to share dialog, chat about it, create differences, theorize, etc.... That's the purpose of the forum - discussion. The street situation is entirely different and all the talk in the world won't change how we respond. As long as I'm prepared, I'm always far better in battle than I am talking about it or role playing in training. Clearly, at times we ALL get tired of talking about certain things over and over again (ie., which caliber is better, which lube is better, what personal defense round it better, what would we do if we were in a certain situation, accuracy, best products, ..., etc...). There are only so many issue for us to discuss when it comes to guns. When I'm tired of a subject on a thread, I simply don't respond to the thread and take a break to chill. Other times, I am comfortable to throw in my 2 cents. I completely understand where you are coming from and that's cool too. Everyone's opinion is cool. I think we are all here to learn and share input and don't take anything personal. No harm, no foul. We enjoy your input.
    I hope you have a good holiday and best to you in the New Year.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    Yeah, you're right. Too much time on my hands and was just throwing out unasked for opinions. I'm actually pretty much past role playing theory and don't really care.
    Shoulda just left it at my original response. Simple, direct, and what anyone could expect if we were to meet on the street.
    Were cool man...no beef...I figured it would be a good exercise for everyone (other then the fact we have time to react). Since my ccw class lacked mutiple scenarios.
    PM9 stainless slide, night sights, 2612rds through it

These are all good situations and it is a very good idea to think about various threat situations. It is important, however, to set some rules that will work in all situations.

1 Bring a gun!

2 Maintain situational awareness. It may keep you out of situations where you need to use the gun you brought!

3 Maintain as much control of the situation as you can. Don't do things which tend to give you less control. Do not put others in danger due to your actions!

4 Analyze the situation. Crowded places make gunfire extremely hazardous. Don't initiate gunfire in a crowded place. Even if you stop the bad guy it's a lose situation if a nine year old kid gets killed...or any other innocent bystander for that matter unless the BG is already killing innocents! In that case do what you can to minimize the loss of life.

5 Take appropriate action. Do the right thing right and live with what follows!

6 Have a good lawyer!

7 If the s... hits the fan, fight to win and don't quit fighting until you do win!

First let me say that how these rules are applied will be different for a LEO than for a CCW holder. LEOs are always on duty and thus have an obligation due to their position to protect and defend. CCW holders should be in the mode of preventing things from getting worse. LEOs by nature will be more aggressive and they should be.

1.)You walk in a gas station at night by yourself, one guy behind the counter and no one else in the store....you go take a wizz in the back left of the gas station....While your peeing you here someone come in the store and start yelling give me the money and you here a gunshot and you still here the guy behind the counter screaming in fear.....What is your next move?
    well one must consider that the bad guy may have a buddy with him... I would probably freak out, lock the door if possible, then get up against a wall where i have hard cover, making sure to watch the windows (if any) for shadows... try to calm down enough to call 911 for help

2.)Your in the run down bad side of the neigbhorhood, your at a light no one around and it usually takes a while for it to turn green a, scuzzy bearded man comes walking up to the driverside of your window and puts his hand in his jacket very abrutly and is searching for something and he is within 10yards of your vehicle what do you do?
    stare at him, then look around for other possible bad guys... and run the light if i feel at all unsafe

3)Your in a mall with your wife or (man for women carrying)....your on the second floor and you hear people screaming and gunshots coming from the other side of the mall like 100yards away. what do you do?
    hit the deck, take cover... while staying low work towards making it outside of the building as far away from the shooting as possible. attempt to be mindful of surroundings and the potential for a second shooter... once a safe distance away call 911

4)Your driving home from work and you accidently ride close to someones bumper in front of you and at the light you see him flipping you off and you do nothing then the next light he gets out with a bat two cars ahead of you and heads your way. There is no room to move your vehicle. What do you do?
    I would check to see if there was any possibility to force my vehicle out of traffic if necessary, if not I would reach for my weapon while keeping it concealed... apologize to this psycho for anything i might have done... only if they started to smash the windows or attempt to harm me would i pull the weapon into sight, then see what happens, hopefully they will back off, if not then take action

5)Lets say you live in an apartment and you here gunshots across the hall and your door is locked and someone you know personally lives there....what do you do?
    freak out, get low and pull handgun out, make sure door(s) are locked. .. Depends how much i like the neighbor... work to getting out a shotgun or black gun, maintain cover, continue watching all entrances into my home, then call the police

6)Your at a taco bell and a guy and girl that seem to be together are eating and all of a sudden the guy gets angry and starts slapping the girl (that is pregnant) everyone just looks and then she starts to run and he chases her and pulls a knife what is your next move?
    I would in a commanding voice demand he drop the knife, i would threaten the calling of the police while dialing and calling, then stand back unless she actually was getting stabbed... keeping in mind my own life and not wanting to be stabbed. i would get his license plate to give the information to the police... while it is good to help a person, you must keep in mind that if you 'save' her but hurt or kill her man you may not only be faced with a court case but a potential of her testifying against you murdering her man.....it must be considered that even if you are a good samaritan who is justified, the events could be portrayed negatively illustrating you

7)You see a group of younger 20 year olds with gang like clothing (man capri's and 4foot long shirts) start beating up an elderly (60+) man on the side of the road? do you just drive by?
    Stop just past the scene.. call the police while stepping 1 step from the vehicle, yell at the thugs to stop and police are on their way... i would maintain a safe distance and avoid the use of a weapon unless they attempted to attack me or kill the man

8)You pull in a gas station, and a man walks up to you and gives you a compliment about your vehicle while your half way out the door and then says to you very calmy give me money now dont make a scene and you wont get hurt and flashes you a gun stuff in his front belt behind his open shirt. What do you do?
    I would give him my money clip. the few dollars in my pocket isn't worth my life... i would keep my wallet though, i don't want him getting my I.D, address and personal information. If he left great! only if i felt force was still to be used on me would i try to confront him, hoping to keep him from getting to his weapon while fumbling for mine, hoping i can access and deploy mine before he does his

While it is fun to run through scenarios and consider how you would react in addition to seeing potential reactions of others. I would like to be able to say that my stated reaction here would be just how i would react, i realize that at any time a situation may change and that i may be forced to handle it differntly according to whatever is going on. I find it helpful to run through drills and practice different possibilities when possible

1.)You walk in a gas station at night by yourself, one guy behind the counter and no one else in the store....you go take a wizz in the back left of the gas station....While your peeing you here someone come in the store and start yelling give me the money and you here a gunshot and you still here the guy behind the counter screaming in fear.....What is your next move?
    This is tough situation. I would not want to use deadly force in this situation at this point because I don't know what the BG is going to do next. Is he just after the money and nothing else or is he there to get the money and kill the clerk? Once a suspect has fired a round it is high probability that he has no regards towards shooting the clerk. This situation is still up in the air for me and I don't think that many of us can tell what we would do until we are in that situation.

2.)Your in the run down bad side of the neigbhorhood, your at a light no one around and it usually takes a while for it to turn green a, scuzzy bearded man comes walking up to the driverside of your window and puts his hand in his jacket very abrutly and is searching for something and he is within 10yards of your vehicle what do you do?
    Run the light. He is on foot, no weapon present and is not posing a threat at this time.

3)Your in a mall with your wife or (man for women carrying)....your on the second floor and you hear people screaming and gunshots coming from the other side of the mall like 100yards away. what do you do?
    I guess this where someone steps in and calls me the Rambo for my actions. I search for the threat and eliminate it. I honestly have no clue how so many people here claimed to run and hide. I could not live with myself knowing that the person was going around shooting random innocent people. What about Columbine, Virginia Tech, Senator Giffords shooting or the Omaha mall shooting?? What would you think if it was YOUR family member that was shot and killed and then you found out that there was a person there with the means to end the killing and did nothing?? Guess I see things diffrently then others. Plain and simple I eliminate the threat.

4)Your driving home from work and you accidently ride close to someones bumper in front of you and at the light you see him flipping you off and you do nothing then the next light he gets out with a bat two cars ahead of you and heads your way. There is no room to move your vehicle. What do you do?
    Roll the windows up and call 911. You see the bat, you see him approaching in an aggressive manner. If he just wants to throw some words at you and hit your car then he is the one paying for it with jail time. If it escalates and he smashes the window and it is apparent that he intends harm then the tables turned. I would however have my gun drawn and in my hands as he approached my car.

5)Lets say you live in an apartment and you here gunshots across the hall and your door is locked and someone you know personally lives there....what do you do?
    If it is in my neighborhood then yes. I know that both neighbors are great people and have small children. Like I stated before I will not sit by while a family is massacared. Sorry just not in me not to help an innocent person from becoming a statistic.

6)Your at a taco bell and a guy and girl that seem to be together are eating and all of a sudden the guy gets angry and starts slapping the girl (that is pregnant) everyone just looks and then she starts to run and he chases her and pulls a knife what is your next move?
    This also plays in to the above situation. I'm not going to let a person get stabbed to death in front of me. I tell the closest person to dial 911 and then draw my gun and give him every chance to drop his knife. If he continues then he has put himself and myself into an unpleasant situation, but like I stated I'm not going to let a person get murdered.

7)You see a group of younger 20 year olds with gang like clothing (man capri's and 4foot long shirts) start beating up an elderly (60+) man on the side of the road? do you just drive by?
    911, turn my truck around and help. What entails next is their choice. How many of them are there? What weapons do I observe as as I approach?? Alot to be determined here. But it is certain that I will help.

8)You pull in a gas station, and a man walks up to you and gives you a compliment about your vehicle while your half way out the door and then says to you very calmy give me money now dont make a scene and you wont get hurt and flashes you a gun stuff in his front belt behind his open shirt. What do you do?
    Can I get my weapon drawn without him getting the drop on me? If so then the gun is drawn and we go from there. If not then I weigh my options. Is the money in my wallet worth my life. However do you take that chance of giving him the money and do as he says only to have him turn around and shoot you because you saw his face? To many factors come in to play on these type of scenerios. These type of "what if" scenerios are fun things to talk about and they make you think. Some people say some things but when the moment presents itself other factors will come in to play.

Great quesitons and it's fun to see the thoughts of others.