Xssights   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun

Thread: fmj bullets rule!

Default fmj bullets rule!

hi ya, so I have been reloading for 5 or 6 years and you know what I just figured out? full metal jacket bullets are more accurate than all my own cast, and other lead, and plated bullets including hi tek types.
    not very scientific; just my observation. 23 yds with my trusty CZ75; I have 1,200 fmj 115 gr and 124 gr no name fmj's sold me by a private seller. just saying.
    what do you find?
    much obliged,
    max

Every type of round has a purpose. FMJs are good for target shooting but not defensive rounds for home. It will go right through the person. That's why you have HPs and JHPs. Might not be most accurate (as you say) but they are for defense.

I've found good cast bullets to be every bit as accurate as jacketed out to around 25 yards but a bit less accurate at 50 yards and beyond but this is only from my guns and my shooting. Don't expect my results would be the same as yours. I say experiment and go with what works for you.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Default FMJ Bullets

FMJ Bullets

Checkout the "as low as" prices here:
    https://precisiondelta.com/index.php...ullet/9mm.html

I'm guessing 9mm from the weights/guns you posted.
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

About all I use anymore is Precision Delta. Good stuff.

I think the big plus to jacketed or plated over lead is you can push them a little faster. This has to be a plus in the accuracy department all other things being equal.

Most of our ranges no longer allow lead, except 22 in some cases. Thank goodness for Precision Delta.

I got about 400 45 Colt rounds loaded with lead. Gotta shoot them outside when I get a chance.
    Got em all loaded and then they banned em. I was not happy.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I think you might have meant jacketed, and not specifically FMJ.
    For me, the most accurate bullets are L-HBWCs in .38 Spl.--particularly Remington L-HBWC.
    Next are JHPs and my own cast L-SWCs.
    Then, JFP and L-FP.
    Finally, at the bottom of the bunch are FMJ-RN and L-RN.
    Then, well below all of these, are ANY plated bullets (except Gold Dots and XTPs) I have ever tried.
    I can push lead bullets as fast as any jacketed bullet. I do need a gas check if shooting north of 1800 fps...
    No, the benefit to jacketed is not velocity, but consistency and ease of use.

Of the round I shot Montana Gold seem to be the most accurate, but they are pricey so I don't shoot them as often as precision delta.

I can remember back in the day when eyes where good and loaded some 38 special LRN in my Ruger Blackhawk I could hit a clay target in a dirt mound at 40 yards. Got to get the right load for the bullet your shooting. I go thru that a lot load with different powders high to low range and seeing what comes in the be the best. I’m a caster and like shooting my own lead and can get good accuracy from them. It’ a lot of work to cast but it’s satisfying to me. Shoot what you like just enjoy shooting!
    Rest in peace old sailor Mike
    In Memory of Mom: Standing 4'11" She would say come here so I can hit you as I looked down at her
    As my Olde buddy Jake said point at the belt buckle and muzzle rise will take care of the rest
    Live a little learn a lot