CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you handle an agressive home invasion

Default How would you handle an agressive home invasion

With all the increased news about criminal home invasions I got to wondering just what I'd do if someone (or several ones) were trying to kick in one of my entry doors in order to gain access to my home. Whether at night or daytime, which seems to be happening in central Oklahoma quite often, would I shoot while they were still kicking or wait till they actually entered then let loose with whatever I had managed to grab by then. Or try to order him or them (assuming to be a him since no shes have been in the news) to stop thinking maybe I wouldn't have to shoot but knowing they would more than likely get out of jail with a hand slapping and maybe return again for another try.

Any thoughts, or hope not, any actual experience with this sort of thing. And adding to the theft problem our illustrious knowledgable Oklahoma legislators (and governor) passed a law raising the cost of a crime before it becomes a felony from $500 to $1,000. I've noticed vehicle breakins have also increased lately. Now if they don't steal more than $1,000 it's just a misdeanor with no jail time so why not give it a try.

Allen,

Yes, this is a topic I've given much thought to. And, in order to understand it better, I've studied the topic under Massad Ayoob and Andrew Branca. I highly recommend both. However, if you can't make time to attend a traditional class, Branca's online course would answer all your questions. More importantly, Branca will teach you the laws specific to Oklahoma. This is much safer than taking advice from an internet-know-it-all, or from an expert from a different state who knows nothing about OK laws.

Here's a link to the online course. http://lawofselfdefense.com/online-training/

Knowing use-of-force laws for our own state is a critical step in avoiding conviction and financial ruin if you ever have to use a weapon to defend your life.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

If you order them away, will they come back later, hoping you're not home, or not ready? In my state, we cannot legally shoot through the door, in some states you can. Step 1, time permitting, I would call 911, leave the line open, yell that you are armed. Step 2, if they came anyway, then they would get their just reward. (depending on time, might have to go straight to step 2).
    NRA Benefactor

Unfortunately I have been in this situation. I work away from home and keep an apartment near work. It's in a low rent area, which unfortunately means a not so good neighborhood. Fortunately the landlord has added security features it the doors and windows. One night I heard someone trying to gain entry through the back window, easy pickings as I believe they thought nobody was home. I took position in the bathroom whitch provided me cover and gave me a view of the entry door and both windows, called 911, advised them what was happening and that I was armed. Police response was quick and they caught the two young men who were trying to gain entry.

Regardless of state or local laws, I believe the best defense is to make your home an un-inviting target. Harden your doors and windows. Buy time and let the authorities handle the situation if possible.

Perfect. You did exactly what would have done. Take up a covered defensive position and call the cops.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I was broken into in about 86 or so. I was loading 9mm ammo at the time! Had the puke sit on the ground, hands on his head, at the end of a HiPowers barrel. Called cops. Directed them realtime, and cleared my pistol and put it on the floor, as directed by them....as they beat his face into my cabinet handles. Less mess than shootin him.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    I was broken into in about 86 or so. I was loading 9mm ammo at the time! Had the puke sit on the ground, hands on his head, at the end of a HiPowers barrel. Called cops. Directed them realtime, and cleared my pistol and put it on the floor, as directed by them....as they beat his face into my cabinet handles. Less mess than shootin him.
    Glad that went well. Good job! Talk about the wrong house, wrong guy at the wrong time.......
    I am the Living Man

Yah, he was drunk off his gord, looking for beer and a bottle opener. Not his day. He did get a free police car ride! And a nice warm place to sleep. I got a cabinet handle full of nose meat.

Since we have the Castle Doctrine up here, I would tell the wife to slide onto the floor from the bed, and if possible, I would give her the phone to call 911, and then I would do a meet and greet. If anyone had something in their hand when coming in, it would be their last day. If not, I would have them get down, or be shot. Would have the wife tell dispatch that I am armed. If we were still up, we have firearms strategically placed for just that scenario, which would be right underneath us. As fast as they can get in, we will be ready.

Being deaf as the proverbial stump I'm severely handicapped (I cover all the handicapped bases) in the hearing department at night without the hearing machine plugged in.
    I rely on visual cues which is usually the wife jumping up and down while holding my 1911 out for me to grasp.

If alone they could hold a party with loud music, they'd have to bring their own stereo, don't have one myself and I'd probably never know it happened.

In polling most police officer prior to and after being employed by same the general consensus is to keep conversation with said bad guy to absolute minimum or no conversation at all. If you got somebody with you, wife, mistress, etc, they can call and give 911 the play by play.

Don't shoot through the door ever, don't matter where you are, not good.
    Once the door/window _________enter point of entry here is crossed, all bets are off and unleash hell at the slightest possible act of aggression.

Probably still be in trouble, that's what lawyers cause and are for but always cheat, always win in the fine words of Clint Smith.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."