Tommy Gun   Xssights   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally limping into reloading. Thanks TusconMTB

Question Finally limping into reloading. Thanks TusconMTB

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...What-press(es)

^^^ Thank you TusconMTB for recommending a Lee Classic Turret press (post 9)

It's probably obvious I've been thinking about this for a long time. Some of it was just getting around to it. But a good part was thinking hard on what I wanted to do and how much I wanted to spend. I changed my mind about a million times. Now I try not to be penny wise and pound foolish but I'm pretty happy with how much money I didn't spend and feel pretty good that I picked out some decent equipment. Here's what I got and need advice on the rest.
    1. Lee Classic Turret Press
    2. Lee Auto Drum powder measure (not the Auto Disk) and riser
    3. Lee Safety Prime system and bracket.
    4. One set of Lee dies for 38sp/357 mag. More to come later.

It should all be here next week. I bought the press from Walmart and the rest from MidwayUSA.

I've got plenty of brass since I've been collecting it for at least 2 years (see above thread). But what else do I need? Who makes a good scale? Electronic or beam? What about calipers? Favorite manual? Case cleaner? Other little pieces parts a noob would overlook? What about powders for revolvers? Your favorites? Bullets? Range or self defense?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.
    ​O|||||||O

May also need a case trimmer. 357 cases stretch a bit and you can trim them all the same so all the bullets seat the same. Better accuracy through consistency. I have a hand crank Lyman, inexpensive and works great.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

There's a ton of choices out there now days. You for sure need a scale balance or digital, either one.

Once your measure is set and throwing consistent you won't need the scale much, I weigh every 10 or 15 usually.

A balance works fine but a digital is also nice and they are reasonable now days.

A caliper is also a must have, I have a Mititoyo I believe but again there are lots of options.

I fitted a flat screwdriver to clean primer pockets. One of the vibro tumblers is nice but not mandatory.

Many like the ultra sonic cleaners but I don't like dealing with the wet and damp and waiting to dry etc. I just use the tumbler and reptile bedding from the pet shop.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'll second the case trimmer. I use the inexpensive Lee cutter, case length gauge and a drill. I prefer a beam scale, I have a Hornady and a Lee, in all honestly, they both work equally well. Get some case conditioning tools, chamfer, primer pocket cleaner, case neck brush. I also use a dial caliper pretty often. My favorite manuals are the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd edition, Lyman manual, and the ABC'S of reloading . Also get some type of bullet puller, I prefer the collet style, but have an inertia type puller also.

I heard some real horror stories about "reasonably priced" electronic scales. I guess the batteries can get low and throw the reading way off. I was on the interweb so it must be true. Since you don't actually use it much I'm OK with a balance.

I hadn't thought of cleaning primer pockets. The Lee system has you clean the brass with the old primers still in. Then die 1 deprimes and reprimes. Any issue with that? And thinking on it...any case cleaner work better cleaning brass with the primers in? Won't the case just fill up with media? And do you use the reptile bedding before or after the Iguana has its way with it?

Thanks for the replies.
    ​O|||||||O

I use a beam scale to check my electronic scale. Once I make sure both are set, I measure every 10 drops. I bought a fitting off of eBay that attaches the Lee powder throw to the Lee expander die. Works pretty good and saves a step which helps a bunch when you use a single stage press. I plan on getting a Lee Progressive press some day. Enjoy. I find reloading to be therapeutic. Calms the soul.

Cruce Dum Spiro Fido

I tumble with primers in, your right they get all clogged up if you remove them first. Those that do the ultrasonic take the primers out, this gets the pocket clean and also helps dry them out.

That's the one downfall to progressive presses, you can't really clean the pockets unless you deprime and then skip that step in the process.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Start collecting powder and primers before the election!!!

I have a powder throw, but I make up dippers out of old brass for plinking rounds. I pour a bit of glut in the bottom of the old brass to fill the primer hole and smooth out the bottom. Cut the off to close to the right length for the charge and then adjust with a file. When I'm smart and think ahead I solder on a handle made from a coat hanger, other wise JB Weld holds the handle on. I engrave the powder and weight on them. I've got half a dozen in the drawer. I can dip within .1 - .2 grains. Close enough for plinking in 38, 357 Max, and 45. Fast and don't have to adjust the throw.

^^Just like dustnchips I use a powder dipper for loads not near maximum ex. .38 Spl or .38 Spl. +P in .357 brass. I have a turret press but usually I find it easier to prime using a hand primer/tray. If at, or near max loads, I use a balance beam scale to weigh each charge. With all the good ammo out now I use Factory loads and save reloading for practice. Great thing about shooting a revolver, as long as the bullet exits the barrel you can shoot reduced charges, unlike a self loading pistol. Brass lasts longer and doesn't stretch much if any.