Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worn recoil spring maybe?

Default Worn recoil spring maybe?

I finally got my new to me K9 to the range yesterday and put about 150 rounds through it, all my own reloads. The first box was Hornady XTPs (all 124gr) over ~3.8gr Titegroup, a rather light load. I had some FTE stove pipes that concerned me.

After those rounds were shot the balance were a box of 124gr XTPs and a box of 124gr Barry's RNCBs, over 4.15-4.2gr of Titegroup. These had significantly more recoil, no FTEs, and my groups were tightening considerably, putting what I can do with my CW9 to shame actually.

So my question is this: The force required to rack the slide is considerably less than the CW9. The barrel shows this K9 has been shot, a lot, but it still locks up tight and shoots POA=POI at 25'. Could the light spring and light load be a bad combination that lead to the stovepipes? I'm by no means an expert but that is what I'm guessing. Hoping you can enlighten me.

I already have rubber grips and recoil spring (all springs in fact) on order from Kahr so will soon be able to test the theory against a fresh spring, but thought maybe someone here could say for sure what lead to the FTE stovepipes.

I also noticed on several casings that theres a scuff at the mouth and sometimes a dent 1/3 the way down from the mouth. I'll try the ejector spring too and see if that mark goes away. I save and reload my brass so I want it in good shape. I hope to shoot a few thousand rounds through this one so I can hit what I want without thinking about it. If it performs as well as hoped, it will replace the CW9 as my primary carry tool. I'm already more accurate with it than the CW9, but not as good as with my CZ75s. The trigger takes some getting used to as the break point gives no clue!

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Spring can never hurt. Kahrs generally don't like light loads much. If yours has been shot a lot it should be a little more lenient towards them though. My first thought was the load was too light and the spring too strong but that theory didn't make it off the launch pad before it failed.

I don't reload 9 so I'm out of touch on the reload 9 menu. I'd try the new spring first then spice up the loads a bit.

Or my old tried and true standard is get a box of name brand factory FMJ and see how it acts. Good place to start.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Spring can never hurt. Kahrs generally don't like light loads much.... ....Or my old tried and true standard is get a box of name brand factory FMJ and see how it acts. Good place to start.
    Thanks Mugsy,

I still have some Federals that I'll bring with next time, and make a couple hundred "max" loads. Ought to be fun way to christen a new recoil spring. I'll try some light loads again too and see what difference the new spring makes. I should bring some 115s and 147s just to see how it feels accellerating different masses. POI ought to change some.

It could have been a light grip too, I'm used to a larger handful with double-stacks. I do shoot the CM9 every 3rd-4th time out, just to keep familiar with it as it's carried daily. Soon to be the K9 I'm thinking.

I been called a lot of things in my day, some not printable on this here forum but nobody, I mean nobody ever called me Mugsy before.

I have to dwell on this her situation some.

Vote for Cruz or your a pathetic loser. Now look what yall done.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I been called a lot of things in my day, some not printable on this here forum but nobody, I mean nobody ever called me Mugsy before.

Haha Bawanna,

In light of this Muggsy mixup and in all good humor, I just gotta go for this:

TRUMP 2016!

Tim

My guess is the combination of light loads and light grip caused the FTE. A new recoil spring is just a good idea. But remember you will need to break that spring in much like you would break in a new pistol. No biggie tho. Shooting is fun. Those dented case mouths are sorta normal. Hopefully you can still use the brass. Enjoy that new pistol. That's the best of the best.
    ​O|||||||O

Sorry, been seeing that name in other posts and sorta stuck in this feeble mind. I've always been lousy with names but I rarely forget a face. Nothing intended, just hypoglycemic.

Do appreciate the insights all the same. I'm not a regular here so don't know many folks here. Hope it wasn't offending either way.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    My guess is the combination of light loads and light grip caused the FTE. A new recoil spring is just a good idea. But remember you will need to break that spring in much like you would break in a new pistol. No biggie tho. Shooting is fun. Those dented case mouths are sorta normal. Hopefully you can still use the brass. Enjoy that new pistol. That's the best of the best.
    I'm looking forward to the weekend, and hundreds of hot reloads. Should be fun.

Hard to offend most of these salty dogs around here, most are tough as nails!
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

I got the new spring, it has the same wire gage and # of turns as the old, but is nearly 2 inches longer! Much more effort to lock the slide back now too. Can't wait until trying it this weekend.

Oh, it was quite a struggle to get the new spring in the slide.

And, I LOVE the new rubber (ok, soft poly) grips! Now it's got the grip I learned to like with the first NYCPD K9 trade-in I got from aimsurplus several years back. Lock up on that one was rattly loose and accuracy suffered so I sold it to a guy that just wanted a small "belly gun". Suits him fine, this one now suits me fine!

Makes me ponder why I wouldn't want to check out a MK9 to maybe take the place of the CM9, but taxes come first!