Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace

Thread: 1927A1 Thompson Not cocking back all the way.

Default 1927A1 Thompson Not cocking back all the way.

I got the Thompson from my Uncle who has since passed away. I can't ask him what is going on. I tried the firearm with .45 Snap caps. The mags lock in place but when I cock the handle back and slide forward it doesn't grab a round. When I look closer with a flash light, the bolt doesn't seem to go back far enough to grab a round. So I decided to dissemble watching multiple youtube videos. I noticed two things that didn't seem right. First off one recoil spring is missing. Also the hammer / firing pin block (different videos called it different things) seems way to long and it's hollow inside. Doesn't look right to me. Please see the attached photo.

They are a bear to rack the bolt on, he may have figured removing one spring would make it easier.
    I don't think it would work right but that isn't the cause of your issue.
    I'm not intimate enough with mine to tell for sure what's going on with any certainty.

I'd find a schematic and make sure everything is going together in proper sequence. Also replace that spring.

There is an EZ Pull set up marketed for the Tommy but Kahr doesn't recommend them. I know a few who run them and have no issues though, so juries still out on that one.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I watched multiple videos on youtube and everything goes together smoothly. I posted on another forum. The guy said his hammer was solid and seemed shorter also. I think that is the issue. I will order two new springs and a hammer. Hopefully that will fix it.

Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380