Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lakeline Metal Followers testing in my 2010 PM45

Default Lakeline Metal Followers testing in my 2010 PM45

I bought some Lakeline followers to try in 9mm(two), .40(three), and .45(two). I had no problems with my regular 9mm and .45 Kahr mags, but was having problems with my P40 with failures to feed. I'll report my results on the .45 followers here. I installed a Lakeline follower in each of two mags... one a 5-round flush-based Kahr mag and the other a 7-round extended grip Kahr mag. All of my Kahr .45 mags have the correct new springs and there are no weak springs involved.

I took a bunch of pictures of the stock and LL followers out of the mags in the mags, and with one or more rounds inserted in the mags with both types of followers. There are way too many and I can't post them all, but I'll post a few of the more important ones and I will show comparisons and the wear from testing.

First off, the two mags with the LL followers would not lock the slide back when empty under actual firing until empty, or with an empty mag inserted and the slide pulled to the rear. It just didn't happen with MY PM45. YMMV. Other than that, the mags seemed to feed several kinds of ammo without any other problems.

The angle of of presentation seemed about the same for loaded cartridges. First the Kahr follower on the left and the LL on the right.

Loaded with one Speer 230-gr GDSB each:

My marks on the two LL--equipped mags:

Wear from testing:

There does not seem to be enough of a landing area for the slide lock to be actuated. I fired a box each of American Eagle and Blazer-Aluminum-cased 230-gr FMJ, as well as some Speer GDSB in both the LL mags and the stock mags, all with the same results... feed but no lock back with the Lakeline followers.

I appreciate Adolphe offering these aftermarket followers and other parts, but my results from MY PM45 show they're not ready for all pistols, in mine anyhow. Your results might vary.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Not a great picture of my PM45:

I did most shooting at 7 yards, but ran the target out to 10 yards and had to bring it back after the first 3 offhand rounds:

Then I ran the target back out so I could practice my pushing, jerking and yanking. I even put one in the "10" near the bottom.

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

This may be stupid but are you 100% sure that your springs are oriented properly? I notice one of mine was backwards when I swapped to the LL followers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slide lockback is 100% in my CM45 5 round & PM9 6 round magazines after the last round. Could the pin be working out a wee bit?
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

I don't claim to be an expert, but this isn't my first rodeo and I advise people all of the time on things with Kahrs and the mags. I checked the slide lock pin insertion frequently as well as the screw, washer, and spring's tension and proper location/insertion. I am well aware of magazine spring orientation and yes, mine are installed correctly. I consciously check that I put the springs in with the free end to the front.

My springs... all of my .45 Kahr ones... 9 total... were brittle or of the wrong size(from the factory!)... too few coils(14 instead of 18 coils), and they were all replaced by Kahr.

The correct springs for the 7-rounders have four more coils and are the hardest I've ever had to install! The first took about 20 minutes and I found that screaming and cussing loudly did not help, but did make me feel better. Here's my post on the .45 mag springs all failing or being the wrong size:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...t=PM45+springs

The long spring is the correct size. Six of the 7-round mags had the 6 and 5-round mag springs coming from the factory... totally inadequate after the set.

As I said, this is what happened with MY pistol and your results may be different.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I just took the two LL-follower mags apart and the springs were correctly oriented, as I knew they would be.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Some of those springs are a mess! You must shoot the crap out of that gun! I did notice on my CM45 mag springs that the 5 and 6 round springs were the same size when I disassembled them. They both shoot ok, though. Approx 600 rounds divided between the 2 mags. By the way, I wasn't trying to berate your obvious knowledge of these little guns, just thinking aloud in front of a keyboard. I follow all you knowledgeable guys on here with interest, and learn every day from you all.

I don't really shoot it that much. I don't shoot often enough and part of the reason is that I have too many choices for carry and shooting. That will have to change a bit as there are other toys I want... including a Glock 43 and upgrades for Wifey. I'm going to have to figure out what I really "need" and cull a few to pay for some new acquisitions.

Wifey quit working a few years a go and that cut back MY spending money quite a bit!

Guns and shooting are an expensive hobby! And I keep buying ammo and gun stuff, like my SIRT pistol which cost more than some pistols, but it's cheaper for "shooting" and practicing around the house.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Wife also quit due to heath reasons, add in medical bills and it keeps me on a short leash. I savor all trips to the land where we shoot, and stretch out the sessions so I don't blow through too much ammo. Please keep us in the know on your findings.

Wyn,

I sent you a pm to see what I can do to get those working or make it right. Thanks!
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...