Xssights   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MK9 Ultimate

Absolutely beautiful, Transporter! Is the black finish on the slide salt bath nitriding, Cerakote, or?

I'm curious to know who did the front grip stippling.

Hi Guys, been a while since I originally posted the pics with the custom MK9 treatments. Thought I would update a couple of years later how the custom work on the MK9 has held up. It has seen many global and extreme environments to be sure.

First, the black Roguard treatment on the slide. I am absolutely amazed how good Roguard is--I fully expected it to wear down with innumerable holster draws and gear slings. The gun slide looks absolutely new. A+.

NP3 Plus. I had been forever curious how well a full steel gun would weather life's many storms with NP3 Plus. And whether it would actually lead to not needing to oil the gun at all. If you remember, I NP3 Plus'd the whole steel frame and metal parts, including the external barrel. The barrell does show abrasion marks from use, and one slight spot on the frame just below the slide lock from use as a real, extreme environment carry gun. I had dropped this gun 20 meters once while climbing in Monument Valley, but no damage from that adventure. So it it not 100% flawless. However, it did not in any case expose the steel, and it maintained the coating protection of the origninal steel material. I expected it to be good, but not this robust.

As for eliiminating oil altogether--the original objective of the NP3 Plus. I still oil the gun, but honestly I do not think I need to. It cleans so easily I just wipe it off with a kleenex is just fine. It's lived up to its billing in my case with the MK9. Enjoy!

I should also mention that the Lakeline grips. Well, they are exactly the same as when I purchased them for the MK. Nothing damages them--no heat, humidity, impact, etc. Very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I should also mention that the Lakeline grips. Well, they are exactly the same as when I purchased them for the MK. Nothing damages them--no heat, humidity, impact, etc. Very well done!
    Thanks for that info/update. Sounds like some good stuff, and youre MK looks super nice!

Sweet looking pistol ya got there!

Transporter,

I joined this forum in 2012, but somehow missed your post in 2016, and the follow-up responses, until now.

I could go into considerable detail, with regard to my opinion(s) of your MK9. However, I can sum it up quickly, I think. If you had posted, “For Sale! Post your offers!”, I might have been willing to unload THREE guns to buy that one.

Thank you for going through the “trouble” to update/modify the gun, letting us know about what you did and why, and then following up with a “long-term review” two years later. I’m willing to bet that your update to this thread has caused at least one person’s (other than me) “wheels to start turnin’”.

-Wlf

Can you dig it? I love the look and feel of the Pierce Grip on the MK Mag. I NP3+'d the 6-round mag to match the frame.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuCEWHn_HJlKg4c1OqqiqWCFW90rlw
    Last edited by Transporter; 05-21-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks guys--you too Wlfman13--for the nice notes. The MK is a curious beast--it shoots like a much larger gun, so solid. Yet it is heavy for carry. Hence the PM9 craze a decade ago. The MK is just such a phenomenal pistol in its own right, and does not get the credit deserved.

Aftermarket: You guys and Lakeline nailed the grip scales (Kudos, brother!) and recoil springs. The polymer scales of the stock grip from Kahr completely suck. I am hoping I can show my gun to Justin at some point and further inspire him with a Kahr that achieves the triumverate: runs, holds, and shoots as a world class gun. Yes, we know it is not the PM9 and light to carry. It's heavy--and so well balanced--this is a BMW M3 gun. A halo gun. And I can dig it every day, especially when I shoot it with the perfect stock trigger and balanced weight!

Justin, I am in Arizona! My wife and I would love for you to visit us, eat Shelly's ginseng chicken with us, and check out my ultimate MK9! Say YES!
    Last edited by Transporter; 05-21-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    ....this is a BMW M3 gun.
    Great description. To my eyes, it is also arguably the most underrated pistol currently on the market.