Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this K40 Barrel Wear and Peening Normal?

Default Is this K40 Barrel Wear and Peening Normal?

This K40 has about 300 rounds through it. Upon stripping and cleaning a few days ago, I noticed the following:

(1.) Peening on the top left (slanted) edge of the front of the barrel hood (where it locks up with the front of the ejection port).

and,

(2.) Heavy wear on the lower edge of the vertical face of the right hand side of the barrel hood. Correspondingly, there is an odd high spot on the slide where this wear is occurring.

Here are some pictures:

Peening:

Barrel Wear:

High Spot on Slide:

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

UPDATE Wed 27 Apr 2016:
    Heard back from Kahr. Sending it in today for the techs to look at it. Based on the photos, they said it's possible that the barrel and slide will need replacing.
    Last edited by schrobbie; 04-27-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Updated info

I'd just stone down that high spot a bit to put a stop to that. Don't recall seeing that before.
    I can't see the picture on the peening so can't say on that one.

If it creating a definite ridge it could be peening and need attention. Maybe others can see the picture. Not sure why I can see one but not the other.

I have a K40 that did peen in that area and they ended up replacing the slide and top end. Said it doesn't happen often but back then, it was quite some time ago, it happened once in awhile.

Edit- Now the first picture showed up. Usually that peening is on the top flat, mine was that way.

You can send that picture to Kahr to get their take on it for sure. I suspect one could just file that raised area off and it would not return.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks Bawanna! I thought about doing that to the slide, too, but wouldn't want to tinker if it will void any warranty or be an obstacle to having Kahr fix this/something else on the gun down the line. I just sent an email to Kahr with these images. We'll see what they say.

Try following this link to see the image of the peening: http://rs88.pbsrc.com/albums/k177/tr...h=480&fit=clip
    (Weird that it's not showing up for you. Shows up just fine on my end.)
    Last edited by schrobbie; 04-26-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added link

It finally came through, it was just slow.

Having Kahr look is good insurance. If they say nothing to worry about, your green lighted to fix it and not send it off.
    If they want it, it's best to just bite down on something and send it off.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    It finally came through, it was just slow.

Having Kahr look is good insurance. If they say nothing to worry about, your green lighted to fix it and not send it off.
    If they want it, it's best to just bite down on something and send it off.
    I've heard mixed things about sending things off to Kahr. My only experience with there technical/customers service dept. has been over the phone and they were, in my estimation, a bit curt with me. Not sure what that was about, but made me feel a bit bad about my PM9 purchase. Love the gun, but didn't like how I was treated when I called with a few questions about it.

What have your experiences with their service dept. been like?

In the top photo, is it possible that is just some of the nickle plating peeling off?
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    In the top photo, is it possible that is just some of the nickle plating peeling off?
    Regards,
    Greg
    I wish! It's definitely a solid steel hump...

Looks like a bit of peening to me........................................

Heard back from Kahr. Sending it in today for the techs to look at it. Based on the photos, they said it's possible that the barrel and slide will need replacing.

I just took a peek at my K9, which had around 400 rounds thru it. So far no signs of peening, just some slight wear just about the barrel hood. I upgraded to a stainless steel guide rod & thinking about upgrading to a wolff extra power recoil spring. Go ahead & send your K40 off to kahr, they'll get ya fixed up in a jiffy. I'm thinking about buying a K40 next...