Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this K40 Barrel Wear and Peening Normal?

Quote Originally Posted by RonW View Post
    I just took a peek at my K9, which had around 400 rounds thru it. So far no signs of peening, just some slight wear just about the barrel hood. I upgraded to a stainless steel guide rod & thinking about upgrading to a wolff extra power recoil spring. Go ahead & send your K40 off to kahr, they'll get ya fixed up in a jiffy. I'm thinking about buying a K40 next...
    Sweet! I'm probably going to be getting a K9 soon, too. Someone at my local range let me shoot his a while back. One magazine and I was totally sold. Only Kahr I have other than this K40 is a PM9, so the K9 was a dream to shoot. Too easy!

Thanks for taking a look inside your K9. I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by schrobbie View Post
    Sweet! I'm probably going to be getting a K9 soon, too. Someone at my local range let me shoot his a while back. One magazine and I was totally sold. Only Kahr I have other than this K40 is a PM9, so the K9 was a dream to shoot. Too easy!

Thanks for taking a look inside your K9. I appreciate that.
    how would you compare the recoil between the K40 and the K9?

how would you compare the recoil between the K40 and the K9?
    Kind of like the difference between 9 and 40 in any other platform: the K40 is just a bit more snappy/jumpy than the K9 with factory loads.

If you're not recoil shy, then I'm sure it's nothing you couldn't handle. Some people have reported that the ergonomics of the K series frame, combined with the snap of the .40 S&W cartridge, can be painful to shoot extensively. I personally haven't experience this at all, but I get the sense that this varies greatly from person to person.

If you're ever in Southern California after Kahr has gotten my K40 back to me, you're more than welcome to try it!

Kind of like the difference between 9 and 40 in any other platform: the K40 is just a bit more snappy/jumpy than the K9 with factory loads.

If you're not recoil shy, then I'm sure it's nothing you couldn't handle. Some people have reported that the ergonomics of the K series frame, combined with the snap of the .40 S&W cartridge, can be painful to shoot extensively. I personally haven't experience this at all, but I get the sense that this varies greatly from person to person.

If you're ever in Southern California after Kahr has gotten my K40 back to me, you're more than welcome to try it!
    I own 2 .40's, a kahr CW40 & a M&P shield 40.... IMHO, both pistols handle the 40s&w very well, I would imagine a all steel .40 pistol would be better... Thx...

keep us updated plz on how kahr fixes your K40...

Heard back from Kahr. Sending it in today for the techs to look at it. Based on the photos, they said it's possible that the barrel and slide will need replacing.
    I think you all made a good choice. Best of luck and I'm sure you will get all fixed up real soon. Report back on how it all works out.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    I think you all made a good choice. Best of luck and I'm sure you will get all fixed up real soon. Report back on how it all works out.
    Will do! If I've got time I'll do a separate post about my entire customer service/repair experience with them. I've heard lots of mixed things...

I own 2 .40's, a kahr CW40 & a M&P shield 40.... IMHO, both pistols handle the 40s&w very well, I would imagine a all steel .40 pistol would be better... Thx...

keep us updated plz on how kahr fixes your K40...
    Will do.

I don't own one, but I've shot about 50 rounds through the S&W Shield in .40. The K40 is noticeably more pleasant to shoot. Definitely doesn't try to jump out of your hands quite as much. Of the small .40 caliber handguns I've shot, I'd rank them thusly in terms of felt recoil (most to least):

1. S&W Shield
    2. Glock 27
    3. Kahr K40

I'd like to get my hands on a Kahr CW40 and see how it would fit into this lineup for me.

How do you like yours? Would you say the perceived recoil is on par with the S&W Shield?

I would think that the K40 would shoot just as nice or better than most .40's....................I don't own a K40, but do own an M&P .40 and an HK P2000SK .40, and have owned other .40's in the past. The HK is the best .40 I've ever shot. I would think that the K40 would be just fine................................

Will do.
    How do you like yours? Would you say the perceived recoil is on par with the S&W Shield?
    I love my CW40 & carried it daily for nearly a year until I replaced it as my EDC with my Kahr K9. I even used it on occasion for our club's weekly indoor IDPA matches. Here ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPHTjlRDibg

I would say recoil wise the CW40 is better than the Shield 40. I feel a lot of it has to do with the full sized grip on the kahr. It still let's you know it's not a 9. But it's not punishing either.... neither pistol in .40 is punishing, but I feel the kahr is better. I would imagine a heavier all steel K40 would be even more fun to shoot..

I love my CW40 & carried it daily for nearly a year until I replaced it as my EDC with my Kahr K9. I even used it on occasion for our club's weekly indoor IDPA matches. Here ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPHTjlRDibg

I would say recoil wise the CW40 is better than the Shield 40. I feel a lot of it has to do with the full sized grip on the kahr. It still let's you know it's not a 9. But it's not punishing either.... neither pistol in .40 is punishing, but I feel the kahr is better. I would imagine a heavier all steel K40 would be even more fun to shoot..
    Nice video! Looks like the CW40 certainly handles as nicely as you say. Thanks for the info. I'd definitely like to try one out one of these days.

How do you carry your K9? And do you have a favorite holster for it?