Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New CW 9

Default New CW 9

Hello,

Have some concerns with my brand new CW 9 that I just brought home. Issue #1 - While cleaning the barrel I noticed some rough/dirty areas inside the barrel about half way down. I ran a nylon bristle brush and bore cleaner through, no change so I ran a copper brush through with cleaner and then ran clean patches thru. The rough area is there and looks like either poor machining or bad metal. is this normal ? The areas are in between the grooves on one side of the barrel in app. 3 areas. Can't get a photo of it.

Second, after a good cleaning and lubing the slide will only go into battery if I let it slam shut under spring tension. If I ride it shut or slow it at all ... it fails to go into battery stopping about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch out. I know this might be a break in issue but wasn't sure ... the gun has not been fired yet. I am more concerned about the barrel issue ... it does not look clean and well grooved. Thanks

steve

Might be a nickel plating issue on the barrel, hard to tell without seeing it. Kind of flaky, like lifted paint or something different.

The not going into battery is semi normal. During firing the slide will never slow at all or do anything but full force. One reason they recommend loading the chamber with the slide release.

That should improve with just a few rounds fired. Watch for long bullet seats, this will sometimes cause the same issue.

Shouldn't be a problem once you get to shooting.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Not flaky or lifting paint ... more like a rough/sanded area. Hard to see as it is in middle of barrel. It is in between the grooves ... if it does not effect accuracy should I not worry about it ? I guess I could fire the 200 break in rounds thru it and see if it smoothes out the rough areas. Your thoughts ? Thanks

steve

Can't say I inspected mine that closely before firing it, but the barrel is Stainless Steel so I wonder if it may be poor machining or some tough residue from factory firing. There was a CW9 post a while back with pictures that showed rough machine marks on the inside of the slide that aren't on mine. CW9s may have quality control issues, but mine seems fine and shoots very good.

These things have stiff springs and require break-in. I found that using MoS2 (in turpentine) on the slide surfaces makes the action smoother when charging. It doesn't wear or burn off like oil either.

Thanks, I will let you know what happens.

Most likely nickel plating. Shoot it some, with jacketed bullets, then check again. Should smooth out. Anxious for a range report!
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Quote Originally Posted by naa10104 View Post
    Not flaky or lifting paint ... more like a rough/sanded area. Hard to see as it is in middle of barrel. It is in between the grooves ... if it does not effect accuracy should I not worry about it ? I guess I could fire the 200 break in rounds thru it and see if it smoothes out the rough areas. Your thoughts ? Thanks

steve
    Is it on the lands, or in the grooves? If it's in the grooves, I'd break it in to see if it even makes a difference. On the lands, it might be another story and someone more knowledgeable than me should address it.

Hello,

Not to sound ignorant, but the lands are the raised portions of the rifling and the grooves are the relieved/cut out ares ... right ? The marks I am speaking of are in between three of the grooves at the top side of the barrel ... all in roughly the same area. Hard to tell how long they are I would guess 1/3 inch. Going to call Kahr this morning and see what they want before I do anything else. Maybe they will just replace the barrel ... who knows. Thanks

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Kahr will take care of it. Let us know how this turned out for you. I would send a pic (the best I could take) of the area with a description. I'm like you, when I spend my hard earned money on something, I want it the way it's supposed to be, nothing more, nothing less.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I would run a box of jacketed ammunition through it, clean it again and see if there is any difference in the bore. Check the target and see if it groups to your satisfaction. If you're an average shooter, like many of us are, have a friend who is a good shooter do the test target. I'm thinking that area of your bore is just stains left when the factory test fired it and with additional firing, it may clean up. Even if it doesn't and it shoots accurately, you may want to reconsider sending it back to Kahr at this time. You have five years on the warranty to bring this issue up with Kahr.

I never ride the slide when chambering as Kahr says to use the slide release. Tolerances are tight on a Kahr so you need to break the gun in to really get a good picture of how your gun is functioning. Best wishes on your gun turning out to be a keeper.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat