Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any satisfied users of tuckable IWB holsters?

Question Any satisfied users of tuckable IWB holsters?

One of my carry rigs is a tuckable custom Kydex holster for my Ruger LC9S. I have concluded that using the tuckable feature is impractical. I now use it strictly IWB with an untucked shirt.

Using it IWB with a tucked shirt has two problems:

1. If you have to draw the pistol, a tucked shirt presents a much more difficult draw with something more likely to go wrong.

2. Even with a mouse gun (and the LC9S is about as narrow as any of them), the level of concealment is less than ideal. This is not so much from the gun printing under the shirt as it is the bulging hip that is exposed by the tucked shirt. Especially when viewed from the front or rear, the hip appears deformed and unnatural because of the extra thickness of the gun and holster inside the waistband. This is not even counting the visibility of belt clips associated with such holsters if the shirt is tucked. I use a small C-clip or a behind-the-belt J-clip to minimize that issue.

I carry at 3 o'clock and straight up and have no desire to change that position.

Am I missing something regarding the practicality of this type of holster? Or are they limited to positions like appendix carry?

I use tuckable holsters every day. DeSantis Sof-tuk is what I have for both my EDC guns. I like it because the clip goes on the pants under the belt, with a hook on the end that holds it in place on the belt on the draw. I believe they call that the J-clip. For work I always have my shirt tucked in, either a golf or a dress shirt. Cell phone in a belt clip holster in front of the gun helps to hide the bulge. Type of shirt dictates which gun I carry; long sleeve dress shirts I'll carry my CW40, golf-type shirts I carry my TCP because it just disappears. I carry at about 3:30.

I have both a single clip and also a double clip hybrid holster. Single clip Wild Bill is easier to put on and adjust ,but moves a little and seems to print more( Kahr CW45). The Double clip hybrid takes much time to properly orient and tuck but is stable and does not move.
    I always wear a tucked in shirt and pocket carry Kahr CM9 95%. The other times I usually 12:00 pouch carry (comfortable). I occasionally use a cell phone holder+ pistol IWB ,and rarely an ankle holster (also comfortable). If jacket IWB untucked Wild Bill or PJ Kydex.
    For me, 1) pocket is fastest, 2) 12:00 next fastest > 3) then tuckable> 4) cellphone/holster combo takes 2 hands > 5) Ankle is good when sitting in car.

I use a MTR Dual Carry holster. Easily converts between OWB and IWB, though I carry IWB probably 90% of the time. It is tuckable. Draw seems to be easy, simply grab the front of my shirt and pull with my weak hand to expose the firearm while drawing with my strong hand. I carry a CT380 and have no discernable buldge.

I use a High Noon tuckable when wearing dress clothes.....................1 o'clock to 3 o'clock...........very comfy, no one has noticed it yet.

I will replace my Remora. I'm not happy with it.

http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/Ar...?ID=259#hybrid

You need to really really dress around the gun if you are going tuckable IWB carry. Don't use low-rise pants/jeans as they put the waist at the point of your hip instead of above your iliac crest. I would wear at 4 o'clock also. For the shirt, try to get a brand that doesn't put too much material. I use Todd Shelton because they're just long enough to tuck, but look fine untucked. They don't billow on the sides either. And they're made in the USA! I am 5'10", 200lb. I use a Vedder LightTuck IWB.

https://toddshelton.com/shirts

I could never get used to IWB holster no matter what brand. Guess i'm just strange.

I have tuckable holsters but "tucking" is a last resort for me but sometimes it is all that works. Fortunately I generally wear jeans and a tee shirt and don't need to "tuck" often and just do AIWB. That said, it gets really hot around here and sweat is a problem for IWB wear so I have experimented with carrying my CM9 in an Uncle George pocket/wallet holster or just a pocket holster. Not as fast as AIWB and certainly worthless when seated but better than nothing.

Checked out those Todd Shelton shirts. If I tried to wear one of those form fitting shirts, every time someone would walk past me, they would cover their eyes for for fear of the buttons flying off.

Salty