Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K9 magazine retention

Default K9 magazine retention

I love my K9. I carry it all the time.

I notice when I toss a spare mag in my pocket that sometimes the bullets come loose throughout the day. I notice this kind of a problem unique to Kahr (in my experience). I don't have this issue with my Glock or Sig magazines. So at the end of the day when I de-holster and de-mag, I reach down for my magazine and sometimes 3 bullets are loose, and the rest are in the magazine. This is annoying. And in a defensive situation it could matter.

Is there any way to secure the bullets in the magazine without having to carry extra magazine pouches? I don't know if I'm making this up or not, but I thought I heard of magazine "caps" at some point, that covered the top of the magazine. Can't find any info on them, so I could have just imagined it.

Any experiences?

Many have successfully corrected that condition by carefully and gently tweaking the feed lips down just a bit.

Basically make the feed lips slightly more parallel. Keeps a little more pressure on the cartridge and aids retention.

Just a tiny bit.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yep, it is a common complaint with the Kahr magazines.
    There is a member here goes by the handle of "BearDog" that makes Kahr mag covers, you still pocket the mag, but it has a leather cover over it. I have purchased several from him. They work great. has a "hook" built into it, so you can still do a mag change one handed.
    I use my PM45 holder for my 1911 single stacks, keeps the lint out.
    NRA Benefactor

Mod the follower or, IMO better yet, get yourself a Lakeline follower. Either will help with round retention.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Having the rounds pop out is a common issue with true single stack mags such as kahr magazines. That is why S&W went with a staggered stack mag design on their M&P Shield ... Doesn't mean that the S&W is better than kahr..... well maybe just a little

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Mod the follower or, IMO better yet, get yourself a Lakeline follower. Either will help with round retention.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Forgot about that, that's an excellent solution right there.

And I concur with Beardog. He makes excellent mag pouches in several varieties. I also use them for 1911 mags, actually more so than PM45 mags which are pretty much identical.
    I've checked on Bear and he has been checking in from time to time, just been pretty durn quiet of late.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

BearDog is still alive and well, got a shipment from him yesterday.
    NRA Benefactor

gb6491 is spot on with the Lakeline follower advice! I have 8 spare Kahr mags and I've installed their followers in everyone of my mags. It solved the problem of a round dropping out of the mags!!

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Regards,
    Greg

Are the Lakeline followers easy to install? Aside from breaking down the gun to clean it, I'm not really too informed on other modifications. . .

The installation instructions are here: https://lakelinellc.com/wp-content/u...tructions3.pdf
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...