Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PPQ 22 or 22/45 ??

Default PPQ 22 or 22/45 ??

On the fence with choice.

Anyone have any experience with the PPQ 22 pistol. I like the ergonomics, which is supposed to be the same as the PPQ (looks the same). Supposed to be reliable, at least in the short term. Aluminum slide, and poly frame. Some steel inserts in the aluminum - like the breech face and slide stop area, for better wear characteristics. Not a bad idea.

Then the tried and true Ruger. I've had three before, and always sold them off for one reason or another. Some were plain, some quite nice. The best was a Mark II, blued steel, that I shot in bullseye "300" matches. Did ok too with it!

So, in the quest for another .22 handgun.... any preference?

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

I've heard a lot of stories about the LCI blowing out on the Ruger. Other than that they shoot great, have lots of upgradeable parts. There's a fake LCI replacement available, made of metal that matches the barrel finish pretty decently.

Haven't seen any PPQ's at the club, but Walther's are really nice shooters also.

You have a hard decision to make!
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I like the Browning Buckmark, but don't own one. They shoot great and are popular with new shooters. I have used a pair from a friend to teach young people to safely handle handguns. We had Rugers, a Hi Standard and the pair of Buckmarks for the young folks to pick from. the Browning's were far and away the most popular choice of the first time shooters.
    I have the little Walthers that I wound up with in a trade deal. It needed some "tweeking" and its ammo picky but it is fun to shoot.
    My main .22 is an old S&W 2206 that just shoots and shoots.
    Let us know what you wind up getting.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

The Rugers are a bear to clean, so I would be tempted to try the Walther.
    NRA Benefactor

Have you considered a Smith & Wesson Victory. I own one and it is a great shooter. Very easy to break down and clean. Just giving another option.

I would only consider a ppq22 was if I carried a ppq center fire as a edc. Other wise it would be another brand .

I'm leaning more for a Ruger. Had 'em before. Know how to tweak the triggers. Newer MkIII will need mag disconnect removed, and LCI replaced with metal. Not the worst thing. I for one, never had a problem with disassembly or reassembly of those, except the initial pull out of the lever was always a tough one, needing a little tool to get it started.

The Walther.... also has a pencil thin barrel with a shroud and cap. The shroud covers the barrel and the cap threads onto the barrel's muzzle to pull the barrel, via shroud, into the barrel block at the breech end. "They" say that's what gave Dan Wesson revolvers such great accuracy, but, it could have been how you'd adjust the gap whenever replacing barrels, or other factors. To me, pulling on the front of a barrel to keep it in place sets up stresses that maybe.... just maybe ....you don't want.

Still pondering. The 22/45 has a familiar 1911 grip. That aint soooo bad. Not as nice as Walther's though. If you ever want to feel a great grip, check out a PPQ... just phenominally nice. If you ever want to feel a terrible grip, check out the Ruger American, phenominally pediculous.

My choice is S&W Model 63, if a revolver works. [bottom one] It is 3 inch, 8 shot and light weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

If you want accuracy and reliability with a variety of ammo, I would go with the Rugers, S&W Victory, or the Browning Buckmark. I have a 22/45 and a MKIII both with Volquartsen innards that will shoot right with my old Hammerli SP20 and 280's. The Ruger takedown is not a problem if you take the time to look at the factory website and follow the directions with respect to positioning the gun during re-assembly. I would gut the MKIII style mag disconnect and install Volguratsen parts. In fact I just bought a late model used 22/45, put the barrel assembly on a new Volquartsen alloy frame, and sold the factory polymer frame to another shooter Now I have a pea shooter that will run with the best of them.

Over the years working, I have observed all the "looks and feels like my MP, Sig, Walther, etc," in .22 caliber, all fall way short in their ability to be really dependable and accurate.

"Never pet a burning dog"

Heavily leaning on the Ruger.... but in the Walther's defense, its reliable. I guess no less reliable, in terms of aluminum and steel, than other pistols. And... the steel inserts gotta help. Nice looking Rugquartzen!

Gotta do some lookin at Vol's site, see whats out there for parts. I used to get Ruger .22 Auto parts from Clark, but... they've pretty much discontinued most items for those. Jim as a big believer in the Ruger, shot it competitively. After he passed the torch, the kids just didn't see it in the same way.

I think I've made up my mind for a .22/45 bull 5-1/2 inch. It has the most flexibility of any of 'em out there really.

Back in the day, I built one up for my friend KJ. I took a big bar... 2-1/2 inch or so... of stainless, and bored it, and fit it to the Ruger's top end as a complete shroud on the barrel. Slab sides, no fastener's needed friction fit (think: freezer and oven trick). It had a Redfield pistol scope on it, and we'd hit mini clays with it whenever we wanted to, at 100 yds measured out.... that's how far the dirt bank was from the picnic table! That one had stock MKii parts, but I cut the sear and reduced the hammer engagement a bit. I had a Beretta 76, done up the same way... but the Ruger shot better.