Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got me thinkin

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I was doing some similar thinking a little while back, but in regards to a mountain lion. You've probably have more of a stopping power issue than I did.
    I thought about going with a 357 Mag, but was inclined to believe it more likely I'd run into people (or a rouge dog pack) trouble, before that cat. So, I went with what I shoot best in a hurry and still have some capacity over the six gun....a full size 1911. I did keep a rifle in the Jeep during that time...perhaps that (or a shotgun) might be worth consideration in your situation. Here's hoping you don't have to find out.
    Regards,
    Greg
    It's not my permanent residence right now, so I hate to leave ANY firearm/rifle around. You have a slightly different problem. You'll usually never see the mountain lion coming, unless your in the open. I do shoot the .40 the best right now, so that's what I carry. Good enough? Like you said, hope I never find out. I'm trying to get the wife to carry her .357 to help me out a bit. So far, no go. I do worry a bit more about people and dogs. In that case, I think .40 will do the job. I hate to have to carry a rifle around in the woods, especially if it's not hunting season around here.

From the looks of Greg's pictures I'd say he's in the open a LOT! Course them kitties are pretty quiet and move pretty smooth. Probably good at blending in and hiding behind a sage bush or cactus.

Your no doubt correct in the challenge of the kitty is knowing that he is coming with evil intent.

Sure like to take a close look at that desert country down there. Very careful look in between checking the ground for snakes, spiders, cats and other stuff that wanna ruin your day. And bring the 3 dogs along is probably a right fine idea too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Looks like beautiful country out there..........................that heat would kill me..................

Yeah me too, I suspect that's why he plays very very early and then seeks shelter. I don't do very very early either so I'm probably not a very good fit.
    If it did kill me at least it would be awesome scenery for the event.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I think a good 357 will do the job. How about a nice 8 shot 327 revolver!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

When I was working at the Pen we had an escape one night. We contacted the Air Force Base and they sent out helicopters with heat seeking cameras on board. We are out in the brush when the pilot radios that he has a hot spot on top of a nearby hill. To this day I can imagine what the pilot saw, a bunch of little hotspots running up the hill trying to be the hero. Suddenly, over the radio someone yells "IT'S A BEAR!!" Again, I can imagine what the pilot saw, a bunch of little hotspots hauling ass back down the hill..
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I don't care for lions at all. As a kid, we used to hear them crying out at night near my Grandpaw's place in Virginia. First one I actually saw was walking on the road one night.

My wife and I were probably closer to one than we knew on Jan. 8 2004. We had gone hiking that morning at Whiting Ranch,. We made our way to and up Dreaded Hill Road, then took the Water Tank road out to where it ended and turned back. I even left her by herself for a ways so, I could jog ahead to Four Corners and get some water for her. We left Four Corners by Whiting road and made it back to the car without incident. http://ocparks.com/civicax/filebank/...x?BlobID=15841
    We were shocked to later learn that a mountain lion killed one mountain biker and seriously injured another that afternoon near Four Corners. The cyclist that survived was probably saved by her friend (another lady) that grabbed her legs and held on as the lion dragged them both into a ravine. She put up enough of fight, bought enough time, that some other cyclists heard them and were able to drive the lion off. That took some cojones my friends.
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...ain-lion_x.htm
    http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/M...ge-2814215.php

Nope, no, I don't like big cats.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Consider carrying Double Tap 450 SMC rounds in a full sized all steel 1911. Not for everyday shooting but certainly will do a lot of damage to a Black Bear.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Where I hike each Saturday has signs posted warning about bears. I hike pretty early, which increases my opportunity to see wildlife. I've seen Mountain Lions but no bears. My CW40 is always with me on my hikes, and my dog is my early warning device. When I hike where I elk hunt, I carry my 44. Just seems like the right thing to do.

If one of your 40sw is in the 4" class like ct/tp40 or sig p320 then your fine for black bear . Might want to step up your ammo to a load like a underwood 155gr 165gr gold dot . I can manage 1320fps with a 15ggr load and that's more energy than most 158gr 357rem mags can manage from a 4" revolver and more than needed to kill a black bear with several rounds fired . If you think a colt 45 is even then the 200gr hc at 1000fps should serve you well . If you feel you need more as a house gun buy a 20ga pump shotgun. I grew up hunting with a 357 with hot heavy loads and around here 400 bears a year get killed in the surrounding 3 counties . Today I carry a 40sw with no worries on the trail .