Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A real discussion about caliber

Default A real discussion about caliber

The .32 ACP was the pocket pistol of choice throughout Prohibition. It was the caliber of choice for Europeans, both military & civilian. It was the most popular cartridge during the 20th century, one of the most bloodiest 100 yrs in history yet why is it no longer considered powerful enough for self defense today? It was good enough for the greatest generation yet today we scoff at the guy who carries a .32 for self defense. Most consider .380 as marginal in self defense applications. And forget about even thinking about a .25 auto and many consider using a .22 would be "inhumane". As Americans we are born into a society where bigger is better. Big homes, big cars, Double cheese burgers, & value sized fries and of course....Big Guns. Yes we all heard that shot placement is all that matters. Of course we all heard the saying "Carry what you can shoot well with". Today's topic is. Are we smarter today than our ancestors? Or are we turning into sissies for thinking we need even bigger guns to defend ourselves?

What say you?

I had a paramedic at the shooting range tell me that he had seen more people die from a .22 than 9mm, 40, or 45 because the .22 wanders so much and does ones insides like scrambled eggs. I'll keep my 9mm and .45 though.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

People were skinnier in those days. A .32 didn't have as far to penetrate, to hit a vital organ.

Today there are larger bands of misguided urban dwellers. Higher calibers results in higher body count. In the good old days you just had to stop a scoundrel from scoundrel-ling.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

All I can say is they are all better than a sharp stick. A .22, .25, .32, even a .17 will ruin your day.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    People were skinnier in those days. A .32 didn't have as far to penetrate, to hit a vital organ.
    Where's the like button when you need it!

There are many people who carry the smaller caliber firearms today............................................. ....taking things in to consideration, like wound channels, thickness of clothing, taking them off of their feet, etc., I like bigger boolits myself.

The .327 Federal Magnum is being touted as a better replacement for the .357 magnum. It also sounds like penetration is not the issue with that .32. There are some interesting tables comparing calibers in the article that folks might enjoy too. Those charts could lead one to believe that my little .22lr is just as effective as my 12 gauge. I wonder how that works?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/357...1-327-fed-mag/
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

Seems to me it could come down to what's shooting back at you. If all shot .32 fine, but if my assailant is shooting large at 20' I want something at least somewhat competitive. At 10' in summertime, I s'pose a rock might work. For me I'll stick with my 45 in all seasons.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."