Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PM9 Input Please!

Default PM9 Input Please!

I have been researching for a small 380acp or 9mm for pocket carry. I am interested in the PM9 due to its size so I have been doing a lot of research online as well as reading the forums on this gun. Most of what I have been finding is older posts but not many newer ones. It feels like I have read many posts that getting a good quality PM9 is hit and miss though I don't see many newer 2015-2016 posts or reviews on the gun at all. With all of the newer small hand guns that have come out in the recent past there is a lot more competition so I am not sure what to think about the PM9. I also read several posts about terrible customer service at Kahr. Finally, I am ultimately trying to get a feel for whether the PM9 is a great reliable choice for concealed carry or really is hit and miss on reliability? Again there are several choices but in 9mm it it the smallest. I called several dealers all over my area and no one even stocked either the CM9 or the PM9 yet the small SIGs, Glocks, Shields, LCPs, etc... can be found every where. I just don't get it but am shying away from the PM9 due to my concern or uncertainty as I don't need a touchy, finicky self defense gun, so in closing I would sure appreciate hearing from owners, especially recent owners what they have to say regarding whether this gun is a good choice with reliability in mind. I would appreciate any feedback to help in my decision whether to proceed with purchasing one.

Thanks
    Dan

Dan, its your call. As far as my opinion, the PM9 and CM9 are the highest quality pistols in their class. I am convinced that most of the problems where people can never get them to run, even after trips back to Kahr, are due to the owner's grip, or lack therof. You can bet they functioned fine for the folks at Kahr. Small pistols, and Kahrs in particular, require a good grip. My $.02
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

All I can say is I have had my PM9 for about 2-3 months now. I pretty much followed the instructions for breaking in a new Kahr that I found on this forum and have not had a single malfunction of any kind. I used all 115 gr. factory ammo (standard and +P) of the different brands I could readily find. Both solid and hollow point. None were seriously considered as top defensive brands that are advertised as such today because they were not available when I wanted to shoot. I put easily 4-500 factory rounds through it and have since switched to my hand-loads which work well in my other nines. Still no failures. I'm approaching at least 7-800 rounds now. The only thing I have seen is the slide not going into battery fully when I have forgotten to use the slide release lever to charge the gun as Kahr recommends. My usual habit on other nines is to slingshot the slide. At this round count it may be OK to do so, but I find it is easier to use the slide release anyway. I have no concerns with the gun and am planning on pocket carrying it as my CCW soon. I think I am getting reasonable accuracy with it, but will still practice weekly with it to improve. Would buy it again!

I agree and I think while there were some teething problems early on, more so with the 380's than the 9's I think Kahr has them figured out. Because of this we just don't hear that many reports. People go out of their way to complain but seldom do so to praise. This is true across the board, not just for Kahrs of course.

They are small, they are tight and stiff. Some may balk a bit at first while they work themselves together, both the gun and the shooter.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

There are no guarantees in life. But if it helps, mine runs fine! Chances are yours will too if you follow the lube/prep/grip advise offered up in this forum. Good luck.
    ​O|||||||O

IMHO, most of the problems seem to be with the CM9, the PM9 cost more, but has more secondary operations performed, less sharp edges, more deburring etc.. IMHO this leads to a better chance of a good running pistol. My PM9 has about 3000 rounds down range, never a hiccup. I used to carry a .38 Special , Model 60 as a backup, now I carry a PM9 ALWAYS. I do have one pair of pants with a small pocket, I carry a CW380 in those, but only those pants.

I think there were s afew snafu's with the CM9's in the beginning, but not anymore, I would recommend both the PM & CM without hesitation.
    NRA Benefactor

Echoing the above positive feedback. I just got back from the range where I ran rifle drills and single and two handed 2+1 drills with my PM9. 5 mags worth, and it accurately ran like a champ as it always does. Fantastic, small, high impact, ultra concealable pistol.

Tim

I bought my CM9 4 years ago. After the first 3 mags during break -in there have been no malfunctions. it is my every day pocket pistol. Take it to the range every week or two, shoot 30-40 rounds mostly FMJ,but also some of my Federal HST carry rounds, and clean it each time. I have never tried to shoot it dirty.
    My CW9 ,CW45, and CW380 have been more picky, but they are still 100% with ammo they like. Much less so now with Lakeland replacement followers.

My pm9 is a 2013 model, and has been 100% through 6-700 rounds. I sold an lc9 to get it.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

I first bought a P380, but once I got my PM9, it has been my favorite pistol (and there are quite a few). I am not a large guy, and concealment of the PM9, and the accuracy are without peer. I think that if you follow the break-in suggestions on the site here, you will love a PM9 (or CM9....very little discernible difference).