CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Sights ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sights ?

Reading another thread on sights, I thought of this. It is said that a man can cover the 7 yards, 21 feet, in 1 1/2 to 2 seconds. Can many or any of us draw your weapon, raise it up & acquire a sight picture in that time when the SHTF? I am not talking about lasers here, but even that little red light is going to be shaking all over the place. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Jeremiah/Az; 03-31-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah/Az View Post
    Reading another thread on sights, I thought of this. It is said that a man can cover the 7 yards, 21 feet, in 1 1/2 to 2 seconds. Can many or any of us draw your weapon, raise it up & aquire a sight picture in that time when the SHTF? I am not talking about lasers here, but even that little red light is going to be shaking all over the place. Your thoughts?
    It depends. From open carry or concealed carry, I think there's a difference. No doubt good IDPA shooters probably can from open carry. Don't think I can from CC.
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Reading this post may be HARMFUL to the mental well being of Keyboard Commandos and Mall Ninjas. Parental discretion is advised. (PM9, Glock 26, SA Ultra Compact 1911)

I was talking about CC in a defensive situation. & in most of those situations you are, more than likely, going to be surprised even with situational awareness.

From open carry it is not difficult to get in two torso shots from open carry in 1.5 to 2 seconds. From concealed carry IWB a bit more difficult but doable unless it's concealed in a pocket or other less accessible place. For either dry practice for 20 minutes a few times a week and then some live fire draws should get you there. The dry practice manual that you can order from Frontsight is a great reference with pictures to get your drawing from holster form in order. I'm sure there are some good youtube or other video sites with good info on this. As for acquiring the sight picture I'm not sure what you want to acquire as the BG is steaming at you - with the correct draw you should shoot straight from reflex. I am not a great target shooter but I have been trained to hit two torso shots to stop a BG probably 90% of the time without adrenaline flowing - which should translate to 50-60% of the time when the SHTF. Also you really do not have the time to get your laser centered... you life depends on your reflexes and training.

I started shooting IDPA matches to practice real world skills and learned to draw/fire from chose retention, that being target is within arms reach and your elbow is against your side. be careful you don't sweep your weak hand.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER