CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Xssights

Thread: New CT380 jam-o-matic, newbie, help??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I use Critical Defense and Ruger ARX as my "Test Standard" ammo for the P380 (no CW380 here in CA) I'm not much of a gunsmith but that protruding firing pin on feeding looks like either a broken striker or weak load not allowing the slide to move fully to the rear, or very stiff recoil spring - try a peppier load. Here is my cleaning routine after each use:

1) field strip
    2) Blow out striker channel through hole in slide and work striker with thumb a few times- I use a gun cleaner for this
    3) Scrub entire frame and slide with CLP on brush
    4) Carefully wipe slide rails with patch on toothpick
    5) Wipe gun clean (remove CLP)
    6)Wire brush and patch bore (CLP)
    7) Oil rails, barrel, plastic rails etc (see forum oil diagram in sticky section) I use slip 2000 but anything will work
    8) Place tiny tiny (needle oilier) drop on striker and work back & forth a few times
    9) reassemble gun and rack slide a few times.
    Good to go

I have changed all my magazine springs to the Keltec springs from Wolff - They are for the little keltec 380 (different gun) but are more powerful and work fine for me!

I have 3 other Kahrs (not 380) and they require almost no care and are not ammo sensitive

Hope this helps!

There are so many good replies on cleaning & ammunition, I have just one suggestion for the original poster to help track shots fired.

I buy several ruled composition books during going-back-to-school sales. I dedicate one notebook to shooting. The first few pages hold info about my current firearms including serial numbers. I keep contact info such as this forum in the back. The bulk of the pages are used to record each range trip -- date, temperature, wind, etc. -- & subsequent cleaning. Each firearm has a paragraph where I count shots usually by counting magazines fired. It's real easy to update the journal each time I reload or take a break. Plus I jot down any problems or changes.

At the end of the day I add the shots fired and update the total round count for each active firearm. While not exact, I have a close estimate of shots fired.

Started this method to track break in but find it valuable to keep track of usage & maintenance issues. I keep the notebook in my ammo bag. I also keep an updated inventory of ammunition by caliber & bullet weight/type. But even if you just make a little mark for each mag you fire, you'll have a record of rounds fired. "Course you can avoid paper & use a text file or spread-sheet on your phone. I just like the tough composition notebooks for the range.

Typical entry"
    "Kahr CM9 10:30 2x7-round mags fired, @5yards, no problems // reloaded w/ Geco 124 grn FMJ // 11:15 Left hand: 2x7round mags fired, 1 FTF last round...

I use my own short-hand taking notes. Hope this helps new shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtStone View Post
    There are so many good replies on cleaning & ammunition, I have just one suggestion for the original poster to help track shots fired.

I buy several ruled composition books during going-back-to-school sales. I dedicate one notebook to shooting. The first few pages hold info about my current firearms including serial numbers. I keep contact info such as this forum in the back. The bulk of the pages are used to record each range trip -- date, temperature, wind, etc. -- & subsequent cleaning. Each firearm has a paragraph where I count shots usually by counting magazines fired. It's real easy to update the journal each time I reload or take a break. Plus I jot down any problems or changes.

At the end of the day I add the shots fired and update the total round count for each active firearm. While not exact, I have a close estimate of shots fired.

Started this method to track break in but find it valuable to keep track of usage & maintenance issues. I keep the notebook in my ammo bag. I also keep an updated inventory of ammunition by caliber & bullet weight/type. But even if you just make a little mark for each mag you fire, you'll have a record of rounds fired. "Course you can avoid paper & use a text file or spread-sheet on your phone. I just like the tough composition notebooks for the range.

Typical entry"
    "Kahr CM9 10:30 2x7-round mags fired, @5yards, no problems // reloaded w/ Geco 124 grn FMJ // 11:15 Left hand: 2x7round mags fired, 1 FTF last round...

I use my own short-hand taking notes. Hope this helps new shooters.
    I have a extra-small Moleskine Volant notebook as a log for each of my handguns. I make entries for every time I fire, clean, or modify them.