Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New CT380 jam-o-matic, newbie, help??

Quote Originally Posted by Tobinator View Post
    ....LOL! I feel sheepish to have posted that target; aim isn't even relevant to the whole limp wristing issue. Truth be told, it's way better than a lot of my other targets, I was super happy about it, and my friends and family don't know I shoot yet so I can't really post it on Facebook. So I had this goofy urge to post it.
    No need to feel sheepish about that target...that's good shooting no matter how you held the firearm.
    If it was done with a revolver there probably wouldn't even be any discussion about grip.
    Regards,
    Greg

BTW, you can clean a field stripped gun well enough to remove the Frog Lube. I used that stuff once and my shotgun failed to cycle the first few shots during the next morning's hunt. Following a quick wipe down with a paper towel and some 10-30w oil from the dip stick, I again had a functioning shotgun.
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    No need to feel sheepish about that target...that's good shooting no matter how you held the firearm.
    If it was done with a revolver there probably wouldn't even be any discussion about grip.
    Regards,
    Greg

BTW, you can clean a field stripped gun well enough to remove the Frog Lube. I used that stuff once and my shotgun failed to cycle the first few shots during the next morning's hunt. Following a quick wipe down with a paper towel and some 10-30w oil from the dip stick, I again had a functioning shotgun.
    Thanks!

Good to know about removing the FL... Tomorrow I'll be trying again and taking better notes, and if it's still not working, I can try switching to oil. I do like the idea of Frog Lube and it kind of makes sense (like seasoning a cast iron skillet) but at this point I should be trying to remove variables from the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still use oil in my seasoned cast iron
    Good fortune to you tomorrow.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Welcome,

Just in case you find this helpful, this video was the "aha" moment for me. It focuses a lot on your support hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0HkjXpQBxc

I also agree that the frog lube should wait for now. A good cleaning and simple lube with gun oil should be fine for your break-in. Once you get the gun running 100%, you can again try the frog lube. Kahrs are tight guns so any lube that takes up space can also cause problems. I ditched using grease on the rails for that very reason. I lube only with RemOil. I clean and lube before I put the gun away. Then a light drop on each rail before I go shooting is all the re-application necessary. That has proven most successful.

Good luck.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I still use oil in my seasoned cast iron
    Good fortune to you tomorrow.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Good point! I think the first time I applied the FrogLube I took that analogy a little too literally and wiped off too much of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Welcome,

Just in case you find this helpful, this video was the "aha" moment for me. It focuses a lot on your support hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0HkjXpQBxc

I also agree that the frog lube should wait for now. A good cleaning and simple lube with gun oil should be fine for your break-in. Once you get the gun running 100%, you can again try the frog lube. Kahrs are tight guns so any lube that takes up space can also cause problems. I ditched using grease on the rails for that very reason. I lube only with RemOil. I clean and lube before I put the gun away. Then a light drop on each rail before I go shooting is all the re-application necessary. That has proven most successful.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the video and tips! That's a little different support-hand technique from what I was taught, I'll have to experiment with that. Interesting.

Default New CT380 jam-o-matic, newbie, help??

So, an update...

First of all, thank you all for your very helpful advice!

So I went to the range. I can think of four possible explanations for today's results and I have no idea which one(s) were the biggest factor.

1. I focused extra-hard on a straight wrist and firm grip (although I think I relaxed a little after a few successful mags)
    2. When I cleaned and lubed the pistol yesterday, I left more lube on there.
    3. The gun is evidently showing improvement as the break-in period progresses.
    4. Gremlins broke into the apartment, stole my little lemon and replaced it with a mostly functional pistol. :P

I brought the rest of the ammo that the CT380 barfed on last time.

Shot five mags of Remington UMC. It locked back prematurely after the third round but was otherwise solid.

Five mags of Sellier & Bellot. Not a hiccup.

Three mags of HyperClean. Either it still doesn't care for HyperClean or it was getting dirty by that point; first mag was fine, second and third mag had FTFs at rounds 1 and 6 respectively.

A couple more mags of Remington with two more FTFs and one premature lockback. I decided to call it a day.

No FTEs. FTFs all looked basically like this.

I was not optimistic going in there today, so this was a happy surprise. Not perfect, but hopefully the gun will continue to work the kinks out as break-in continues. I'd estimate I'm at about 125 rounds now.

I use grease on the rails of another of my firearms, but never on my Kahr. I also use Rem oil.................it seems to work well on all of my firearms. Personally, I would use the $$$$$$$$$$ I saved by using oil instead of FL, to purchase more ammo. Good shooting..................it's very refreshing to have a female on board. My wife is going for her CCL the 16th. Can't be more happy. She shoots a revolver, no frog lube

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I use grease on the rails of another of my firearms, but never on my Kahr. I also use Rem oil.................it seems to work well on all of my firearms. Personally, I would use the $$$$$$$$$$ I saved by using oil instead of FL, to purchase more ammo. Good shooting..................it's very refreshing to have a female on board. My wife is going for her CCL the 16th. Can't be more happy. She shoots a revolver, no frog lube
    Thank you! Good to be here. Congrats to your wife! I haven't started that process yet. We can carry in AZ even without it, but I would rather get more training under my belt before carrying in public.

The FrogLube seems to go a long way--the kit I bought will last me months at the rate I'm using it... I appreciate the minty smell and nontoxicity, and my pistol is acting up much less now, so I'll probably stay with FL for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobinator View Post
    Thank you! Good to be here. Congrats to your wife! I haven't started that process yet. We can carry in AZ even without it, but I would rather get more training under my belt before carrying in public.

The FrogLube seems to go a long way--the kit I bought will last me months at the rate I'm using it... I appreciate the minty smell and nontoxicity, and my pistol is acting up much less now, so I'll probably stay with FL for now.

Check out The Well Armed Woman
    We have a fairly active TWAW Shooting Chapter here in Yuma, perhaps there is one near you: https://twawshootingchapters.org/cha...3&zone_id=3616
    Regards,
    Greg