Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polishing feed ramp and barrel chamber

Or use somebody elses T shirt, that's what I usually do.

I find better clothes in the rag drawer than I wear sometimes. I've put a few clothes the wife tossed back into service.
    She gets a confused look and ask where I got that garment. Hmmmm out of the rag drawer I think. She just shakes her head.

Same with toothbrushes, never use your own.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I polished the feed ramps on all my pistols. I just used a q-tip and Flitz. Yeah it took a while, but nothing got overpolished or rounded or anything. Plus there was no Flitz flying all over my workbench, like happens when I polish something with the Dremel.

Amen to that. I don't care much for the flying Flitz myself. Seems like no matter how slow you get her spinning she throws it everywhere.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I polished the feed ramps on all my pistols. I just used a q-tip and Flitz. Yeah it took a while, but nothing got overpolished or rounded or anything. Plus there was no Flitz flying all over my workbench, like happens when I polish something with the Dremel.
    I use simichrome polish and a pencil eraser. Shines up really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Or use somebody elses T shirt, that's what I usually do.

I find better clothes in the rag drawer than I wear sometimes. I've put a few clothes the wife tossed back into service.
    She gets a confused look and ask where I got that garment. Hmmmm out of the rag drawer I think. She just shakes her head.

Same with toothbrushes, never use your own.
    I keep a stash of my old toothbrushes on top of the medicine cabinet.

Y'know, all this polishing talk is about the same importance as stacking rat turds.

Back in the day, not too terribly long ago, the 1980's, 1990's.... ramps on autoloading pistols were really terrible. In my range hand/gunsmith days, you'd find Browning HPs, S&W 39/59 series, Colt Autos, you name it... with ramps, and sometimes chambers that were full of tool marks. In those days, you sometimes NEEDED to rework things, just to get the pistol to function.

Most of that consisted of using our little friend, Ms. Craytex Wheel (those rubbery abrasive wheels), on either Mr. Dremel, or Mr. Foredom. Keep in mind Craytex wheels (or their generic counterparts) come in cylinder, tapers, wheels, sharp sided disks, all sorts of shapes, and all sorts of abrasive quality. I have grey and black wheels that cut almost like sanding drums, and yellow and light green wheels that still cut, but are almost at the "polishing" level. I'd handwork all the tool marks out, then polish with a felt wheel and FLITZ.

Why FLITZ? Because FLITZ is a true polish. That is, it is self disintegrating. I have done this, you try it too. Take some FLITZ and smear it on a microscope slide real thin. HOLY CRAP! Look at the boulders in that stuff at about 60x or 80x. Dang! Then smear some used FLITZ residue on a slide and have a look. No more boulders, just fine, rounded, particles. So, FLITZ goes from big and sharp to small and round as you use it. To keep it from flying off, you rub it into the felt (or muslin) wheel. You wipe the wheel off, then spin it up to polish the part. If you get flyoff, its because you got too much FLITZ on the wheel.

Today's ramps and chambers are far and away better than anything you'd encounter 20 years ago. They just are. Kahr ramps and chambers are some of the best in terms of shiny smooth, so .... I really can't see fixing what ain't broke.

https://www.widgetsupply.com/categor...el-polish.html

Thats a link I've posted before. They got all the polishing stuff you'll ever need for Dremel-like machines. That link is the main link to polishing, under which are all the wheels and abrasives and such, each in its own category. If you REALLY shop, you'll find slightly better pricing, especially if you buy 1000 units at a time (or more), but these folks got the selection, and really good customer service, so for the few bux I spend, I give it to them, just because.

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Y'know, all this polishing talk is about the same importance as stacking rat turds.
    Least it's something to talk about, been kinda slow around here lately. Besides, if I had any, I'd probably stack'em, I have great organizational skills.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

My older P ruger ramps aren't polished, not real rough, but not shiny. Shoot great with no feed problems. Ramps aren't quite as steep as on the micros, though, so I can see a possible need to have them slick. My Kahrs are plenty slick from the factory.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Quote Originally Posted by Bobshouse View Post
    Least it's something to talk about, been kinda slow around here lately. Besides, if I had any, I'd probably stack'em, I have great organizational skills.
    What I meant is... not that its not good to talk about, but the actual need is quite low, especially for Kahr pistols. Even my recent RIA, bottom-of-the-lot 45 auto came with a great chamber, ramp, and breech face.

Some may recall the days of the "humped" Browning Hi-Power ramps, which were copied on the early production S&W 39/59, up to the 39-2 series (most of the way through that series). These were terrible, and would only feed hardball. But... wait! LEO's wanted hollow points. S&W got it right, and put a straight ramp on their barrels. Later, maybe about 1980, so did Browning! But, there were tool marks.

As the autoloader progressed from military use, to civilian, then to police use, the realization of the superiority of the hollow point bullet became more established. As that occurred, the manufacturers had to be use better techniques with designs and in cutting metal.

Think of it this way.... "Everybody" knew, back in days of old, if you bought a Colt, or Browning, or Smith, and wanted it to feed hollow points, you most likely would need to have the ramp and chamber and maybe other parts (breech face, extractor, magazine) worked on by someone who knew just what it took, and had the skills and tools to perform the job. That job was a necessity. Today, it no longer is a necessity, because somebody got smart, and started offering a decent pistol someplace along the time line, and thus caused competition, forcing every other company to make the grade or lose sales. So today, we see Kahr, Colt, Smith, Browning, Walther, H&K, Ruger, etc etc, mostly offering pistols (and revolvers for that matter) with chambers and ramps that pretty much work with a wide variety of bullet shapes and configurations.

But.... you get one problem, of any kind whatsoever, and the 'smithy will tell you he needs to polish things in the chamber and barrel. Its like the "tune up" for a modern engine. Really? A tune up? What is that? Every 10,000 miles I'd be putting points, plugs, condenser, rotor, and cap on my old 283 Chevy. Today, what do they rate plugs at? Is it a hundred thousand miles? At least fifty thousand. No points, no rotor, no cap. No setting the gap, no setting the timing or dwell angle. Yet... I hear folks say, they're bringing in their relatively new car to a local shop for a tune-up. What do they get? New air filter, injector cleaner, maybe they wash the engine with GUNK? I have no clue. Maybe a OBD scan... with printout.

So, like a tune-up, the ramp and polish is mostly a throw back to the days when Jocko was good looking.

Just sayin'