Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polishing feed ramp and barrel chamber

Thanks. I asked the question because Jocko's prep guide mentioned it.

Jim

Back when Jocko initially posted his prep and was putting it together, there were considerable issues and polishing was sometimes beneficial.

It's still applicable today as it was the day it was thunk up but more as a guideline now days. If you have issues, try this type of thing.

I never racked the slide 500 times or whatever it says on any of mine, but it's still not a bad thing to do and certainly can't hurt.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

If it makes you feel good.............................................. .......................

You wanta have fun with your Dremel grinding and polishing? Get a Diamond Back 9mm and work on getting it to run smooth. Yes it can be done and if you want it to go bang every time you will be GRINDING and polishing. And adjusting mag lips and polishing striker bores. But hey it is a cheap, small and light 9mm. It can be made to run well BUT a Kahr does not need all that. I'm on my third Kahr and have not had to do anything but pull the trigger a few hundred times with good standard ammo and just make sure it is pointed in the right direction. Sure there can be one that has a little kink but I have two (had a third till wwb blew up Sparky) and from the first bullet to the few thousands that have run through them the pistol never caused the problem. If you have a Kahr that is giving trouble talk to the guys here and with Kahr tech before you break out the Dremel.

Charlie

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-422-Po...TFBFYN4AQPTMKH These are what I use....there are some clone types not dremel out of some other kind of material that I do not like as much. I polish the slide rails, the striker, barrel and just a light buff on the feed ramp....Kahr does a great factory job on it...unlike some of the other manufactures.

Quote Originally Posted by mark7mod0 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-422-Po...TFBFYN4AQPTMKH These are what I use....there are some clone types not dremel out of some other kind of material that I do not like as much. I polish the slide rails, the striker, barrel and just a light buff on the feed ramp....Kahr does a great factory job on it...unlike some of the other manufactures.
    Polishing benefits some pistols more than others, but most pistols benefit from some polishing of moving parts. I agree with the use of this polishing tip, which fits a 9mm chamber fairly well. I suggest using a dressing stone, that tiny black brick, to smooth Dremel heads to prevent vibration and do better work. If you use a paste polish, like Simichrome, after applying to the head, spin it at high speed in a waste paper basket or tin can so the extra polish to flies off without making a mess or getting into an eye. Eye protection is a very good idea when using a Dremel.

For some pistols, I have used a paste polish directly, as I would use grease, on the rails and barrel and worked the action until it felt smoother. After the polish was removed, you could see exactly where the smoothing occurred and the guns remained cleaner longer and cleaned up much more easily. I think smaller, tighter pistols benefit more from this. I have never had a reason to think this harmed the pistol, though I was careful to not overdo it.

Does Polishing the Feed Ramp of any Kahr Firearm Void the Warranty ?

The feed ramp in my PM9 came to me with a mirror polish from the factory. No way I could improve that.

I'm pretty sure Kahr nickel plates the feed ramp. Over zealous polishing would damage the plating.
    NRA Benefactor

Good to know... thank you...