Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever...........soap opera?

I know the torment of meeting a guy with guns like that. You want to ask questions and hear the story of every single one but you also don't want to wear out your welcome or come across like your casing the place.
    I tell everyone who visits (before the sink hole struck) to look, behold, enjoy but forget where you seen em as soon as you cross the threshold.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I know the torment of meeting a guy with guns like that. You want to ask questions and hear the story of every single one but you also don't want to wear out your welcome or come across like your casing the place.
    I tell everyone who visits (before the sink hole struck) to look, behold, enjoy but forget where you seen em as soon as you cross the threshold.

How many of you remember the day/night/afternoon when your mother-in-law (or anyone else you have a great relationship with, and would give a real answer) asked, “ How many guns do you have?)” ? And, you immediately looked at the ceiling while doing mental calculations?

When I meet someone like the man mentioned above, I ask “I have a LOT of questions because I’m genuinely interested, AND I’m in awe, at this moment. Exactly how many questions can I ask before we need to schedule another “gun tour”?” Remember..., he initiated the conversation...

In my experience, you don’t know a person owns guns, unless that person also knows you are interested or own some yourself, AND HE/SHE WANTS TO SHOW THEM TO YOU.

SO, similar to Bawanna, “(I’ll show you a lot, if not everything, and I hope you enjoy it. But, there is a code. That code says that you will forget what you see, until we meet/speak again.”

-Wlf

I can verify that the two of us are the only real firearm owners in the area. My neighbor down the road shoots Russian rifles with his sons, but just has one for protection. I am also aware of the code. Loose lips sink friendships, and although I don't like all of his bird feeders(attracts bears) if that's the only issue I have, I'm lucky so far. I'm a good neighbor. I usually just don't drop by unless I'm invited, and we're quiet as a church mouse.......unless I feel like going out back and ripping off a few.

I recall all the dropped jaws at a dept retreat 15 years ago or so before the sink hole and all. They kind of roasted new guys. I'd been here 5 or 6 years but hadn't been to a retreat before. They put you up front and pepper you with questions, kind of a get to know you kind of thing.
    One asked how many guns I had, went in to that look at the ceiling thing mentioned above and told him more than the department has.
    It was a lot, but alas that damn sink hole followed by the devastating flooding, lost it all.
    We will rebuild.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well, you guys have your avalanches, floods, & sinkholes.
    Down here some of us are foolish enough to go deep sea fishin' on the Gulf with our entire collections.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I imagine that would be a tough thing. All that salt air. Leave the dock with a bunch of fine guns and get back with a bucket of rust and some sea bass........

Sad and not a very good trade off me thinks.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I imagine that would be a tough thing. All that salt air. Leave the dock with a bunch of fine guns and get back with a bucket of rust and some sea bass........

Sad and not a very good trade off me thinks.
    Yeppers. A similar big reason S&W, god bless 'em, invented the Model 60. Damn jungle environment was seriously hard on the blued Chief Specials.
    NRA Benefactor

So berettabone, do you happen to remember anything else about the kit your neighbor built his workshop out of? Was it just something that he picked up at Home Depot or Lowes and then built himself the "skid" to build it on? Or were the skid materials part of the kit? Were it me, details of his shop would have left my mind soon after seeing his collection, so if you don't recall I would not be surprised.

I have plenty of room for a small shop but with the way my house, utilities, and drainfield are situation on my property placing it is a challenge. The idea of having it on skids is appealing and might help me in my particular situation. Also do you know the approximate dimensions of it?
    Thanks!

I didn't ask too many questions. He didn't say where he got the kit from. I am guessing it's about 12'x10'. He put it on wooden skids. The skids were not part of the kit. His words were putting it on skids would keep him from paying more property tax because it wasn't a permanent structure. I don't know if I buy that, but we'll see. I'll see if I can get more info next time around.

Thank you Sir. I can believe what he says about the taxes. We have something similar here. If your structure is less than 200sqft and/or not permanent you don't need a building permit. Not exactly sure about the taxes but given that here they don't classify structures that are lacking a foundation as permanent I would not be surprised to learn that they would not levy taxes on it.

The skids are interesting to me because the best place I could place a small structure is over my water and power lines coming from my well and the electric box to my house. If it could be dragged I could conceivably move it in the event I had to dig up either.

If you do happen to remember to ask him I'd appreciate it.