Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever...........soap opera?

One unintended consequence of the pea field is that you will be seeing a lot more deer and other wildlife.

It must be working early.................we had 20 turkeys walk through last time, along with 7 deer in the back property, and five in the front on Sat. morning.........

Well, I haven't heard from the land owner since our last conversation. What a surprise. Looks like they may have started cutting at the opposite corner of where we are. One of my neighbor's down the road, got to meet the dog for the first time, They are in their 80's, an old polish couple. Their dog died a few years ago, and they love dogs. We are trying to get her not to jump on people, and that's exactly what she did to the neighbors, but they were getting such joy out of it, that the wife was just worried that she would knock them down. I let them come on my property and pick mushrooms to eat. They schooled me on which one's are safe, and which one's are not. Sorry, I still ain't taking any chances. I'll get mine from the store thanks. I asked him how he learned about the mushrooms. In broken English, he said he would pick them for his mother in law...........If she was still around, he knew that they were good. I told him about what was happening to the forest. He just shook his head. He told me about a friend of his who resides in a town about 20 minutes away. He purchased his property, and never had a proper survey done. He just believed what everyone told him. He thought that he had 5 acres. He came home one day, and his property had been carved down to about 2 acres, and the rest of his backyard had been clear cut and removed. Now, when he looks out his back door, he sees nothing but open land. Not a tree forever. Sad. He told them that they couldn't do it, but a proper survey showed that indeed he owned 2 acres not 5. I told the neighbor that there is no zoning in the area, so people can basically do what they want, which is a reason why people live there to begin with. He said, "What, are we supposed to make the zoning?" I guess that to protect yourself, it's pretty much like every where else. You have to buy up as much property as you can around you. I talked to a neighbor in the city, and he said with the proper equipment, they can clear cut, de stump, and remove 80 acres in a week. Maybe noise won't be much of a problem. He also said, that he believes that if they did a well for irrigation, it has to be at least 225 ft. deep. My area pulls water from about 40 ft. The water supply is still a concern. They still will be taking water out of our source, and will still be using chemicals on the land. I have to do some more research to either alleviate my concerns, or make them worse. I have to try to find out if our water source is flowing or not. If it's flowing, could be a lot better thing.......................Maggie the dog is doing well, learning every day. She is turning in to a very good dog..............until next time..............................

Well, it's been a while and they have finished cutting all of the trees down. Now they have to de stump and clean up the many piles of dead stuff. Luckily, they have left the buffer of land between my property and the road. The train that occasionally goes through is a bit louder. The sunset is more easily seen. There is more light coming through my woods. I have a new neighbor, and saw him cleaning up the yard on a hot sweaty day. No better way to break the ice, than walk down the road with an ice cold Pabst, and introduce myself. By the speed in which he guzzled the Pabst, I could tell he was grateful for an icy beverage. Seems like a nice guy. He's cleaned up the property well, and was showing me all of the work that the previous owner had not done. He showed me how the previous owner had a gas fireplace, he's on the gas line, had a gas furnace, but used his stove to heat the place. I said maybe that's why the place was ready for foreclosure. I told him I had only talked to the guy once, and he didn't seem too swift. The new neighbor installed a pellet burner. He's a veteran of the Vietnam mess, and I thanked him for his service. He then proceeded to show me his shooting range setup in the back. Hmmmmmmmmmmm....my kind of guy. I told him he needed to be careful because people still occasionally walked down the road in back. He was excited because he's going to have a grandson shooting with him for the first time, and deer hunting with him for the first time this year. Since he had no berm set up, the range was questionable to me. It's his property........................heading up next week. I took a look at my riding lawn mower blades the last time I was up, and they looked like I'd been riding over metal pipes. Time to do a blade change, which is a pain in the @%&$%*. We've been getting so much rain the last month or so, that the grass is growing at a fast pace. I've had to mow more than any summer so far. I noticed that the other neighbor has had people coming to give estimates for their garage. Maybe? Finally? They must have settled the issue of the piece of land they needed from their neighbor. We'll see how fast this goes. The only speed up there is slowwwwwwwwww. Until next time........................

NRA Benefactor

Sounds like it was a nice visit, other than the grass. Always nice to have neighbors with similar interests.

Well, went up nort for Labor Day and it was a nice quiet weekend. Fall is here..................watching the birds, and feeling the cool nights, it's definitely going to come sooner than last year. Trees are starting to change colors about 3 weeks ahead of last year...................My Murray lawn tractor that I inherited when I purchased the property finally took a $#!t. Figures. I've been nursing it for 3 seasons. I put new front shoes on it. I changed the oil and lubed everything. Got a new battery. Just put new blades on it. Got off of it while it was running, to move some dog poop, and it just quit running. I thought it was out of gas, and no, the seat safety never worked. I turned the key and nothing. Then I saw some smoke. Lifted up the hood and saw smoke coming from the front, but couldn't see exactly where. Smoke(not heavy) dissipated after about 25 seconds. there was no smell to the smoke. I traced all wires from the key switch, and the bundle all the way back, and nothing was burned. Soooooooooooo...........I'm done with the dinosaur. It's probably something simple, like maybe the starter, whatever. So, I'll be on a quest for a new mower next year. Looked at Husqvarna, and Cub Cadet so far. Looked at some rear engine deck mowers, but you get a lot more use out of a garden tractor. At least I do. I like both mowers but the Husky has that plastic drive train/ tranny cover underneath, and to me, the less plastic the better. They have enough as it is. I guess it was just for a few years, and next years model is going back to metal. I like the Cub, the way it handles, and the ease of maintenance. Supposedly, the best warranty in the business, but if you read the fine print, they don't cover much. I could get this years Husky model and save some dough. They have one left at the hardware store. I could save some dough, but that damn plastic........................................... Still no garage at the neighbors. The wifey said that we'll probably be in a vase before they get a garage. That's one reason I like her. Warped sense of humor.....................no birds at the Sanctuary which was kind of surprising. I've been seeing V's of geese heading south, down in the city. I know if we keep hitting the sanctuary, we'll eventually see thousands of all types of large birds. We're not bird fanatics, but it's amazing when you see groups of large birds, such as swans, and cranes. When they are in groups from 60 to 250, it's unreal how much sky they block out, and how much "chattering" you can hear. Last year, we got lucky, and were standing on a deck in the middle of the sanctuary at about 4:30 pm. We saw cranes in the distance heading our way, and for the next hour, we had huge groups of cranes flying right over the top of us at a guesstimate of about 60 ft. I was really worried about being crapped on. Some groups had over 200 birds in them. Bucket list moment for me....................until next time.

As always....sounds like an overall great time/place.

Fall ain't here, here, yet. But it will be by the time we get back from soonest visiting it in Maine.

I no longer have fear of plastic. Properly done. And Husky anything is one of my preferred brands. But, if going back to metal next year....

Now,wasn't that there really helpful?

Being pragmatic...first thing I thought of when you got into the directly overhead birds was that getting crapped on thingy you mentioned. Second was, that sounds seriously cool.
    NRA Benefactor

I got a 42'' (smallest they make I think) Cub Cadet Zero Turn this year, my trusty Husqvarna tractor gave up the ghost. Loved it. Still got it, might put an engine in it some day.
    I absolutely love the Zero Turn, just a blast to mow with and I actually enjoy cutting grass. Nobody knows I'm a derelict when I'm riding a mower.

The tractor is of course better if you tow anything but the zero turn is super fast. Probably half the mowing time but I tinker around and do a better job since I like riding it. Thought about finding a few neighbors I could mow to help pay for it and gas to boot, nothing so far.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Too bad I'm not next door...............you could mow mine whenever you liked. A buddy of mine, who has more grass to mow than me, got a Toro zero turn. I talked him into a zero turn(not that particular brand) because he was always b!tc#ing about how long it took him to mow. I can't believe how fast he can mow now. Flies around. Cut his mow time in half. I think I'm going with a lawn tractor, I can put the trailer hitch on, and pull a small trailer, and they're cheaper for the most part. I don't have too much stuff to go around, and I still do a bit of weed whacking around the house. I think now that I'll have a field behind me, I am going to start working on some type of berm for shooting. I have lots of sand, but nothing to berm it up with, and I am definitely too old to be shoveling anything. I hate paying for dirt/sand, so I'll have to start looking for someone who won't charge me and arm and another arm. Tired of having to go to other places to shoot.