Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever...........soap opera?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    131 vehicle pile up

​Ever notice how people drive nowadays....3 feet off the car in front of them's bumper! They are totally surprised when everyone crashes into each other, especially when sooooo many can't put down their cell phone "even in bad driving conditions". Pretty hard to feel sorry for most.
    1 person killed, a science teacher. 71 taken to the hospital. Miracle that more weren't killed. One person said that they had been hit 4 times. I just don't understand how you can drive so fast when you can't see a foot in front of you.

Even 100 yards visibility is not enough under some conditions, especially on ice and packed snow. You have to allow for stopping within the distance you can see. 100 yards could actually be like tail-gaiting if the conditions don't allow you to stop before running over the car(s) in front of you! And, what about those 18-wheelers behind you! I'm usually more worried about being struck from behind, so I try to stop in the longest distance possible to allow extra braking distance for those behind me. Stopping too quickly can ruin your day, too!
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frιdιric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    They never even tried to drive up the driveway. The car would have never made it. It's still all piled up as we speak. A nice 5' high pile that the plow left right in front of the drive. Lot's of work. That's why I mentioned not going up again till the thaw.
    Good choice. I wouldn't, either. Denver area's been pretty snow quiet, again, this year, Snow blower has only been run once this season...part of that due to our great, nature installed, snow removal system....the sun. Given a few clear days between storms there's little to no cumulative effect.and I can just count on melt.
    NRA Benefactor

Got back from up nort today. Finally, all of the snow was gone except for a thin strip of ice along the garage. The Yellow River is in my area, and it was 3 ft. above flood stage, so there was flooding in areas. The dam is right in town, so water never affects the town, but it was high. Highest I've seen it...………………………..the whippoorwill is back again, went on for a couple hours...………….I'm sitting in the living room and I hear fast loud steps by the side door. The wife and the dog come piling in the house. She tells me that a pack of 3 dogs was out running around again on our property, and the idiot owners were out calling them, AGAIN. I didn't even hesitate, not even on Easter Day. Told the wife to call the man, AGAIN. 2 sheriffs came this time, and we told them the story, AGAIN. They did some checking and said that this was my 5th complaint, so that warranted a citation for failure to control their dog/dogs. I said that I hated to do it, especially on a holiday, but I've had it. They are just not getting the program. He said that they may fight it, and we might have to come up for court. I said whatever it takes. He also told me that the local ordinance states that you can only have 3 dogs a property, unless you are licensed to have more. He said that he was going to ask them about it, but without a warrant, and the dogs in the house, there's not much he could do at the time. They also said that dog aggressiveness is not required to take action. Just the dog alone on your property is enough. The ticket is $255.50 and they have the right to ticket for each dog. If they get more than a couple tickets, it then becomes the judges discretion as to how much he'll fine them. I'm sure hoping that they aren't planning on having a kennel...………………...they look like they're building some kind of enclosure next to the garage. Looks like the fenced in area in their front yard just couldn't hold these dogs. Two of the dogs look like some kind of mastiff/boxer/pit type, and the other looks like some type of lab mix...……………..otherwise it was a quiet 3 days. Got the wifey to help me jack up the stairs on the side of the house. Being all sand underneath, they like to sink down a bit on occasion. She said she was amazed at what you can do with a small hydraulic jack and some pieces of wood and some bricks. I told her that's why you pay attention to your father when he's got a jack and some wood out, instead of playing with your dolls. The swelling in my eye should go down in a day or two. Could be an interesting summer...…………………….till next time...……………….

Too bad the do owners just don't understand the program. I wonder if it would change if one or more of those loose dogs died from lead poisoning from having to defend yourself or your wife.

I'd be curious as to the estimated age of the negligent owners. I know cluelessness comes in all ages, but sometimes younger folk seem to feel more entitled than more seasoned individuals. Or is it an "I'm away from the city and I am not subject to any rules" type of mentality?

Thanks, berettabone. I look forward to these updates, Was just the other day wondering when the next, this, one was coming.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Too bad the do owners just don't understand the program. I wonder if it would change if one or more of those loose dogs died from lead poisoning from having to defend yourself or your wife.

I'd be curious as to the estimated age of the negligent owners. I know cluelessness comes in all ages, but sometimes younger folk seem to feel more entitled than more seasoned individuals. Or is it an "I'm away from the city and I am not subject to any rules" type of mentality?
    The age of the owner of the dogs in question is 50...………...

Got back from up nort yesterday...………………..all was quiet on the home front, besides the fireworks and regular firearm shooting in the area. The neighbors with the dogs seem to be constructing some kind of fortress. A nail gun was going all Sun. afternoon. Actually, I don't care if their building a castle, as long as I don't have to deal with dogs. The wife caught a glimpse of something running in the woods. We didn't know if it was connected but a car came up the road and people were calling out " brandy". I figured that either they were looking for some brandy, which is pretty easy to find in Wisconsin, or searching for a loose dog. People that don't even live here can't seem to control their dogs either..... The water????????? The brandy?????? Otherwise, whipped and mowed the property, which is a 3 hour tour and it was warm out. I actually enjoyed soaking up some sun for a change. The ground is pretty saturated from rain and there is still a lot of flooding going on in the area................................Spent a lot of deck time watching the eagles fly around, the giant woodpeckers hammering on the trees. The whippoorwill is back, loud as ever. Ticks weren't too bad and the mosquitoes are very bad with all of the rain...............….Probably head back up in a couple of weeks...………….the wifey and I love the woods...…...I really have to watch my speed on the back roads. I've been pulled over twice this month by LE and both times they let me off. They asked me about my speed and both times I just told them I had no story or excuses. Once by a captain in the Marinette county sheriffs dept. and once by a Monroe county sheriff. One young in age and one seasoned officer. In both situations I told them right away that there was a firearm on my right side tucked between the seat and the console. Both times they said no problem, do you have a license? Gave them my license, they said please keep your hands on the wheel if you don't mind, which I didn't, and everything went smooth. I never told them that the wife had access to her .357 in the inside pocket of the door. Got warnings both times and I guess it pays to be civil...……………….till next time...…...

Well, it's been a while and we went up nort a few weeks back and the area is a changin........................................... .................the property that butts up against mine has been vacant and visited a few times over the years by the owners who reside in North Dakota. Been vacant since 2005. We got up there and they were putting sand down with gravel for a driveway. They had an area cleared out at the end for whatever living accommodations they were planning. The thing I couldn't figure out was the fact that they went through the trouble of clearing trees and land for a living area, but didn't do anything with 3 different dead trees that I would estimate to be about 45 ft. high. They are right next to the cleared out area. I don't know about you, but my sense tells me that as long as your clearing trees, wouldn't that be a good time to get rid of those trees? They can't possibly be getting ready to plop something down without taking those trees down? Unless they think that they are on my property???? Usually before you build, things are staked out and measured, at least in my world. It's also a pretty small clearing so far, but doesn't look like they are going back any further in to the woods. I remember a conversation I had with the female half of the owners during one of their "visits" to their property. I explained that the farther back in to the woods she went with the build, the dollar bills just keep on rolling. Every foot farther is a lot of denaro. I remember she kind of poo pooed me. I notice that the clearing is VERY close to the road. Poo poo this...………………………………………………………………….we'll be heading up nort next week. I'm always curious as to how things are going. It never ceases to amaze me how people do things(or don't)...………………………………………….I heard the dog neighbor out cussing. I think one of the dogs got loose. Must have stayed on their property fortunately...……...All this rain, I had to mow again. I've never had to mow this much in a year. With all of the sand, it's usually a good weed whack around the house and a couple of mows a summer. This year I've had to mow and whack every time we've gone up...……….still better than removing snow. The last time we were up, a storm came through and we had one of those close lighting strikes that make the hair on your neck stand up. The wifey and I just stood and looked at each other, eyes WIDE open Reminded me of the strike that we had last year. We weren't up at the time but a tree on a neighboring property was obliviated. I found pieces on my deck, roof, driveway. The tree was originally about a 40 some ft. dead oak, and after, it's about a 10 ft. tree with not one piece of bark, or branch, or leaf, with a whole in the center that goes down about 4 ft. I took a neighbor in to the woods and showed him the carnage. He used to work in the Sate Parks and said that he has seen many tree strikes in the woods but can't remember one that was that vicious. I didn't see any trees exploded this time, but I didn't look very far. I told the wifey that lightning may not strike the same place twice, but that doesn't mean that it won't strike right next to the first one. Until next time...……………………...

I can't believe that it's been this long since I posted last.............................time does fly. Went up nort a few weeks back. I thought I could take it easy. Down in the city, there hasn't been any snow on the ground for weeks. Got up there and I still had a good 14"-16" of snow in the driveway. Hadn't been up since New Years. We have our own weather system up there. I really believe that a contributing factor is because we are right by the second and fourth largest lakes in the state. ...........So much for relaxing. Had to empty the car and carry all the stuff up to the house. PIMA..................took about 2 hrs. to clear the drive. I didn't do as much of it as I usually do. Otherwise had nice weather. Just waiting for warmer weather to arrive. Now that we have this virus issue, the wifey and I have basically been staying hunkered down as much as possible. We were thinking about just closing up in the city, and just staying up nort for a while. The population density by me up there is zilch. We're still debating...……………………………………………………………………..