Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Whatever...........soap opera?

Went up nort this past weekend. We had guests up, and they had a fun, relaxing time. The weather was great, so we took them to the Necedah National Wildlife Preserve. There are not many birds there yet, but by the way they are starting to flock up, I dread that it will probably be an early winter. Last year, I went there with a buddy of mine in December, which was unseasonably warm, and saw more large birds in one place, than I had seen in my life. White swans the size of smart cars, trumpeter swans, geese, many different species of duck, egrets, ibis, heron, whooping cranes, eagles. 55,000 thousand acres of fricken birds. The cackling was so loud, we had to step around a building to hear each other. It was one of those bucket list moments for me. Probably never see anything like it again. My buddy agreed. The reserve is the headquarters of the guy with the ultralight, that flies with the whooping cranes every year. You may have seen something about it on tv or in the news..............The neighbors dogs were a non issue this weekend. Never saw them. What did concern me, was, we took the guests back to show them the property. One of the guests, who is an "up nort" guy, found some fresh s#!t about 75 yds. from the house. Upon inspection, it was very fresh, and happened to be bear scat, and he must have just been in the area. Looked to have been a young one, considering the size of the pile. We are going to have to keep one eye open..........we usually do anyway, but we'll have to stay vigilant. Those black bears can be very belligerent, and are probably the worst of the big three. I believe bear hunting may be starting next week. Sunday morning was a bit rough, considering the alcohol was flowing the night before. Until next time.............................................. ..................

Went up nort this past Thurs. through Sun.....................................the neighbors driveway markers and locater flags were trashed, half of them down due to rainstorms. The Yellow River, along with some others, were 2 1/2 ft. above flood level, and things were quite wet. We have had so much rain in the last month, that everything is saturated. Areas of land, that were not flooded on Sat., were flooded on Sunday. When we left, all of the rivers were just about peaking. Fortunately, and on purpose, we don't live on a flood plain. We are situated between two large(lakes) bodies of water, and four rivers, of which none of them affects us. ...........The neighbors dog was not loose the whole weekend, and the other neighbor has not had any more dog damage..............................I believe, without some kind of help, my neighbors will never have a straight driveway, will never get this swath of land that they need, and will keep getting the runaround from people in official chairs about permits, due to the fact that they are from Illinois. Oh yes, there are many forms of discrimination. It's looking like once again, they will be storing their boat off property. I think it's been too wet for them to build, or put in anything anyway. I think that they'll still try............I tracked down the Vice Pres. of the shooting club up there, and joined the club, so I can have shooting privileges. They are having a banquet in a couple of weeks, and will be raffling off 40 rifles. I should probably be there, but I'm never lucky in those types of things..........we'll see. until next time...........

I tune into this channel every episode just to see if there are any Hatfield/McCoy events. Their feud started over a pig the TV said so I figure a dog could start something entertaining.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Ditto... Wifey is getting her popcorn ready for the debate... been drinking wine for about 3 hours up to dinner... drinks tea, usually, with dinner... then more wine. I just have wine with dinner... I'm the cook, too.

Flooding is definitely up there on my considerations of properties. We live on the side of a hill about 20 feet above the river and about 12 miles from the ocean, so not worried here!

'til next time!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I have to admit that I tune in as this is the only soap opera I've ever been interested in. Keep the updates coming!

Got back today from 4 days up nort. The leaves are color peaking and it's just stunning. I went to the newly joined gun club and shot 100 rds. through the MK, and 200 rds. through the M&Pc .40. Had the place to myself. Still working on the accuracy with the M&P. Their triggers aren't the greatest, I don't mind them, you just need shooting time.................................We went over to the Wildlife Preserve, and the birds are starting to come in, in large groups. Counted about 50 huge white swans, some herons, and lots of whooping cranes, too many to count. Thousands of ducks and geese. If the weather stays warm, we could see a repeat of last year, and that would be a one in a million.They have spotting scopes there, and what I found interesting was in every group of whooping cranes, there would be one heron. The cranes were mucking around and feeding on wild rice and crustaceans. The heron would give them a weird look when they went by, but there was no aggression. He would then catch a fish. He was using the cranes to stir up his dinner. Some of that symbiotic mumbo jumbo....................................I think that the neighbor's are done for this year. Looks like everything was cleaned, put away, and locked up for the winter. I noticed that all of their markers were repaired, and there were a few new ones. In fact, a couple of the new ones looked as if they were placed where the neighbor's piece of property is. Did they finally get that small piece of property that they needed? The markers were set up for a straight driveway. I also noticed that the other neighbor moved the pile of stumps that was on their property, just past the line. They have also kept the dogs tied up the last three visits I've made up there. But now, they just sit and bark instead. I think that there may be some health issues going on with the owners, because the dog's aren't even getting walked any more, hence the barking. They are not the kind/type to sit around. They need lots of exercise, and now all of a sudden, they're not getting it. Dogs do well on schedules, and eating and exercise are expected every day. I will have to remedy that somehow. I also noticed that my neighbor's boat was gone. I know that they were about to ask me if they could park it in my pole barn, and I am glad that I didn't have to say no. I wouldn't think that they were going to get their garage up this year, not enough time. Well, it looks as though they may have gotten their little piece of property. Now all they have to do, is get past the local rules, regs, and permits, of which I've mentioned before, that can be more difficult if your from Illinois. They better get things rolling as soon as they can, because no one moves real fast up nort. I won't know anything now, until next spring..................I heard through the grapevine, that a guy down the road is getting close to foreclosure on his property. He's had it up for sale way before my property went up for sale. Two story log cabin on 5.56 acres, all woods, considered two lots. He started at $139,900, and is now at $99,000. I hate to see someone lose their home, especially if it's through no fault of their own. It's still kind of a buyers market up there, but prices are on the upswing, and will probably continue to rise................until next time.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Got back today from 4 days up nort. The leaves are color peaking and it's just stunning. I went to the newly joined gun club and shot 100 rds. through the MK, and 200 rds. through the M&Pc .40. Had the place to myself. Still working on the accuracy with the M&P. Their triggers aren't the greatest, I don't mind them, you just need shooting time.................................We went over to the Wildlife Preserve, and the birds are starting to come in, in large groups. Counted about 50 huge white swans, some herons, and lots of whooping cranes, too many to count. Thousands of ducks and geese. If the weather stays warm, we could see a repeat of last year, and that would be a one in a million.They have spotting scopes there, and what I found interesting was in every group of whooping cranes, there would be one heron. The cranes were mucking around and feeding on wild rice and crustaceans. The heron would give them a weird look when they went by, but there was no aggression. He would then catch a fish. He was using the cranes to stir up his dinner. Some of that symbiotic mumbo jumbo....................................I think that the neighbor's are done for this year. Looks like everything was cleaned, put away, and locked up for the winter. I noticed that all of their markers were repaired, and there were a few new ones. In fact, a couple of the new ones looked as if they were placed where the neighbor's piece of property is. Did they finally get that small piece of property that they needed? The markers were set up for a straight driveway. I also noticed that the other neighbor moved the pile of stumps that was on their property, just past the line. They have also kept the dogs tied up the last three visits I've made up there. But now, they just sit and bark instead. I think that there may be some health issues going on with the owners, because the dog's aren't even getting walked any more, hence the barking. They are not the kind/type to sit around. They need lots of exercise, and now all of a sudden, they're not getting it. Dogs do well on schedules, and eating and exercise are expected every day. I will have to remedy that somehow. I also noticed that my neighbor's boat was gone. I know that they were about to ask me if they could park it in my pole barn, and I am glad that I didn't have to say no. I wouldn't think that they were going to get their garage up this year, not enough time. Well, it looks as though they may have gotten their little piece of property. Now all they have to do, is get past the local rules, regs, and permits, of which I've mentioned before, that can be more difficult if your from Illinois. They better get things rolling as soon as they can, because no one moves real fast up nort. I won't know anything now, until next spring..................I heard through the grapevine, that a guy down the road is getting close to foreclosure on his property. He's had it up for sale way before my property went up for sale. Two story log cabin on 5.56 acres, all woods, considered two lots. He started at $139,900, and is now at $99,000. I hate to see someone lose their home, especially if it's through no fault of their own. It's still kind of a buyers market up there, but prices are on the upswing, and will probably continue to rise................until next time.

Thanks
    I appreciate these updates.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    Thanks
    I appreciate these updates.
    x2...
    NRA Benefactor

Heading up nort this week....................4 days. My wife and I love the north, and the north woods. Pretty much got everything done the last time we were up, as far as being prepared for winter. May have to crank up the heater in the pump house, but we should have a free weekend to enjoy. We will probably have to stay out of the wood's this time, because deer hunting with rifle is open. In this state, 750,000 people with firearms in the north woods. We stay away..................I sure hope that the birds at the Wildlife refuge are still around. Weather is supposed to be in the low 60's until Sat., then it's supposed to get downright cold. Something that we've noticed. We have many very small towns in the area, and it seems that each of them has a community supper for the people, once or twice a month. There is a combo 2 town supper this week, my town and another, sponsored by an electric co-op, and a Shell Travel Mart. Hot roast beef sandwiches, mashed taters and gravy, vegetable and desert. At the end of an advertisement, it says the volunteers will be a local girl's basketball team, and to please spread the word, invite your friends, neighbors and co-workers. See you all there. Also at the local Moose Lodge, on Thanksgiving day, they are having their 24th annual free Thanksgiving dinner for anyone. You can dine there, or if you call and leave a name, address, and ph. #, and how many meals you want, someone will deliver them to your house. Now, fortunately, we can feed ourselves, and have not taken advantage of these services, but it sure is nice to know that they are up there, and people can get a good meal, especially if they are down and out. There are many, many people up there, who may not be the richest, or the most educated, and half of them are downright eccentric, that's why they live up there, but they are salt of the earth, and would give you the shirt off their back. Most of the time, the meals are paid for by local business, or by donations from the populace itself. There isn't much of a "gov't" help going on, and they have to fend for themselves up there. It's probably one of the lower income areas of the state, but it seems that the locals have big hearts. In the city, they have free meal sources, but you have to worry about someone trying to steal your free meal. It seems that, even though they have the same problems as the big cities, the kids are getting a good education, and I don't just mean public schooling. It's a big reason why we like it up there. Younger adults actually say excuse me, thank you, and have respect for the older generation. They always laugh because whenever we get a chance to converse with kids up there, we always tell them, they don't have to kiss our @$$, all they ever have to do is be civil. I'm hoping that I get a chance to talk to the neighbor, but I think they're done for the year..............until next time.

Welcome to Small Town, America. Small town folks tend to take care of each other, regardless of where in the country they might be. Best people on the face of the earth, IMHO. That is until the city folks discover these tiny little areas and bring money into them and their "ideas" and ruin them.