CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened with Costile?

In North Carolina, we must announce that we are carrying. I've thought about this a good bit before this shooting took place. Here is my plan of action:

Blue lights behind me.

• Pull over as quickly as possible, but try to be courteous and find a safe area and not just stop anywhere.
    • Turn off any music that is playing.
    • Roll down driver window.
    • Get both hands high on the steering wheel and keep them there and wait for the officer to approach.
    • When he/she approaches, say your standard greeting/pleasantries and announce "As required by law, I need to inform you that I have a concealed carry permit, and I have a firearm. I am going to keep both hands on the steering wheel and await your instructions."
    • Wait for his/her instructions or questions.
    • If asked to retrieve my license, even if already covered by the officer's questioning, I will state again: "So we're clear, I carry my wallet in my left front pocket, the one nearest you. I carry my firearm in my right front pocket, the one furthest away from you. Again, my license is in my left pocket nearest you, and my firearm is in my right pocket furthest away from you. No other firearms are in the vehicle or on my person. Are you ready for me to reach into my left pocket nearest you and retrieve my license?" Similar descriptions would be used for IWB such as "My firearm is in a waistband holster on my right side, furthest away from you." I think going further with the description is key and not just using left/right, because that requires some thought on the officer's part. My right, his right, which pocket did he say? When you add "closest to you" or "furthest away from you," it is immediately more clear and a good additional confirmation for the officer to check off in his or her mind that we are on the same page.
    • If asked to show my license, while keeping my right hand on the steering wheel, reach into my left pocket slowly and pull out the wallet. When it is clearly in view, the right hand can come off the steering wheel to retrieve the license from the wallet.
    • From this point forward, it's basically just complying with any reasonable request very slowly and with additional communication as needed. For example, if asked to retrieve registration, communicate! "My registration is in my glovebox. Are you ready for me to retrieve it? There are no firearms in my glovebox. I will move slowly."

Since we're missing the first part of the video in this recent shooting, we just don't know what happened. Maybe the officer said, "Let me see your license," and then the guy announced he was carrying, but he was already in his pocket and kept digging in his pocket while the officer started backtracking. "Wait. Stop." Boomx4! I'm sure it was a bit of a mess. The guy is likely dead because of poor communication and possibly a jumpy officer.

Salty

Actually, after just reading Ken's reply, I think I'll try to have my license and permit already out and in my hands resting on the steering wheel. That avoids the whole digging in the pocket thing to begin with. Better idea!

Salty

Last time I got stopped at a road block I had a M1A laying in the open on the back seat of my truck, plain as day. Officer asked for my license and insurance and didnt say anything and I actually forgot about it until after he let me go. Had my j frame in my front pocket.

Guess there was no doubt a gun was in the car.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Costile was clearly trying to do "the right thing" but it went terribly wrong.

The only thing scarier is his GF... jeeze. At first, I thought the video was a complete hoax. She's too calm. Several shots, feet away, from in front of the muzzle - by all rights she should be dazed, stunned, confused, hysterical even, from the concussion and the event. She's too calm. Something ain't right.
    I suggest you do some current research and not assume anything. Information is slowly leaking out about this and it is looking worse and worse for him. It is being reported that he DID NOT have a CCW and only the self serving lie told by his companion is not proof of anything. Also he matched the description of an armed robbery suspect and the video/pics release tend to bear that he is the armed robber. You are correct about one thing, something ain't right.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

We were coming back from Los Angeles last year right before New Years when we hit a sobriety checkpoint here in town. I pulled up, rolled down my window and a city police officer sticks his head in the car and asks me where we were coming from, sniffing the air the whole time. I had my Glock 30 on my hip and knew if I told him I was armed he would of yelled "gun" and every officer at that checkpoint would have drawn on me. Accidents happen, and I didn't want to be a statistic. Showed my license and I guess he didn't smell alcohol and I was on my way. Of course I don't have a CCW and don't feel I have to disclose unless asked, when they see my license and credentials surely they assume.
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

Ohio is a "Must Inform" state. Further, the caselaw requires the notification to occur during the initial contact with the officer. I am the recently retired Chief Prosecutor of a large city here. We put on seminars for officers, as well as the public on the suggested action to be taken. Some key points were:

Keeping your hands ON the steering wheel at all times until/unless directed by the officer to do something. (Some suggested hanging both hands outside the vehicle)
    Don't blurt out "I've got a GUN"!! Tell the officer that you are a CHL holder and are required to inform him that you have a firearm with you. (Tell him/her where it is)
    ASK...."What do you want me to do at this time?" and follow those directions SLOWLY. Some officers may want to disarm you themselves, some not. Some may ask you to exit the vehicle and then they may/may not disarm you, Some may just say, leave it where it is, but don't put your hands there.
    If you already have your license and permit out of your wallet, it lessens the tension.
    Before you reach anywhere (such as to get registration/insurance/etc.), ask "do you want me to get them out?, or do you want to get them?"
    Any movements should be slow.

Most of the officers I have spoken with are much more comfortable once you have asked what they want you to do.
    After the recent shootings, I expect they may be on MUCH higher alert, as is understandable. This would NOT be the time to argue about your rights, or to be arguing about the ticket you're getting. The place for that is in a courtroom.

Texas is a "must identify if licensed and armed" state. I was stopped for speeding and was not armed. I didn't mention anything about my CHL. When he came back with my driver license he asked me if I forgot something. I looked at him puzzled and repeated his question. He said "You have a chl." I told him I wasn't armed and that was pretty much the end of that. Long story short, in Texas, LEO can tell you have a CHL when they run your information. Not the best idea to decide not to tell them if you are armed.

ohio is to my knowledge the onestate with a MUST TELL if u are pulled over for any reason.

I being from indiana have been stopped before on my motorcycle and in myt left pockethas beenmy PMJ9. I never have delcared that I am carrying. If they run a normal BMV check it will not show I have ccw permit, if theyt run a criminal background check, it will show up. normally they do not to the bqackground check unless they feel it is necessary. If they asked if I hve a weapon I will definitely answer ina pol9te way. I my my glock 43 ande my kahr PMJ9 that open place in the grip bottom.I have a copy of my ccw lifetime license, so there is no way i will be with that weapon and not have myt license on myt person. I being an ol man and certaily a opoitie and likeable person, I think that goes a long way. I try to follow the law and I have ask numerous Indiana officers their opinion ad most have told me that they would like to know if you have a gun on your person or in the car. If I am stopped for a oving violation, my thoughts are, give me a ticket or a warning but why add grief to the stop if you have a gun with ytou. Some cops truly be.ieve they should only be the ones with guns. Just sayin.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

That's a good point about the cops that think they're the only ones that should have guns, Jocko. I don't believe there's a large percentage, but if one runs into such, still, honesty and respect will still be the best route to take.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    This reinforces my opinion that if your carrying a gun you don't mention it unless asked if you have one.
    Some states require you to advise if your stopped.
    Sounds like he was asked for ID, in the process of getting his fat wallet (per girlfriend) out he said he had a gun. She quickly advised that he had a permit for it.
    Officer then went into defense mode and asked to see/raise hands. Guy wasn't quick enough.

Had he not mentioned the gun, this probably never would have happened, in fact I'm sure it wouldn't have.

If I'm ever asked if I have a gun, my hands immediately go on the steering wheel or up away from my body. The officer has every right to be concerned. I advise that I have no ill intentions and ask what they want me to do.
    Usually they will ask where is the gun, usually they don't want to see it. No furtive movements, do what they ask and all will be fine.

Had a friend with a neighboring agency do a traffic stop. Asked to see registration which was in glove box with a pistol on top. Guy never mentioned gun just pulled it out to set on the seat. Before it got clear of the glove box he had a Sig stuffed in his ear and was told if the gun went anywhere but on the seat he would be minus his head.

Had he mentioned he would have to move a pistol to retrieve the registration there probably wouldn't have been an issue at all.

Had a civilian friend in the same situation but other end. He said it's in the glove box with my gun on top. Cop said that was fine just set the gun on the floor, no issue at all, he didn't care.
    Agreed, when I got my permit, every time! Instructor stated you do not state you have gun, here in Minnesota or even mention permit unless you are going to be arrested. Then if you know it's going to happen just hand officer permit with license....after he looks at it he may then ask if you are carrying, tell officer at that time. If you start out by saying "I got gun/permit" that's all that might be heard GUN.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!