Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened with Costile?

Default What happened with Costile?

So, what went wrong? He had a CCL and a gun. He evidently told the officer that. He ended up shot anyway. Did the officer say he needed to see ID and Costile reached for it before the officer was ready and the officer panicked and shot him? What a shame this happened to guy that was evidently just an average citizen carrying legally. We need to learn from this so we don't end up dead to.

This reinforces my opinion that if your carrying a gun you don't mention it unless asked if you have one.
    Some states require you to advise if your stopped.
    Sounds like he was asked for ID, in the process of getting his fat wallet (per girlfriend) out he said he had a gun. She quickly advised that he had a permit for it.
    Officer then went into defense mode and asked to see/raise hands. Guy wasn't quick enough.

Had he not mentioned the gun, this probably never would have happened, in fact I'm sure it wouldn't have.

If I'm ever asked if I have a gun, my hands immediately go on the steering wheel or up away from my body. The officer has every right to be concerned. I advise that I have no ill intentions and ask what they want me to do.
    Usually they will ask where is the gun, usually they don't want to see it. No furtive movements, do what they ask and all will be fine.

Had a friend with a neighboring agency do a traffic stop. Asked to see registration which was in glove box with a pistol on top. Guy never mentioned gun just pulled it out to set on the seat. Before it got clear of the glove box he had a Sig stuffed in his ear and was told if the gun went anywhere but on the seat he would be minus his head.

Had he mentioned he would have to move a pistol to retrieve the registration there probably wouldn't have been an issue at all.

Had a civilian friend in the same situation but other end. He said it's in the glove box with my gun on top. Cop said that was fine just set the gun on the floor, no issue at all, he didn't care.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I took a CC class in Michigan (I'm from Wisconsin). A police officer or Lawyer is required to speak to the class. We had a Mi. State officer speak. His advise was to Turn off the engine. If its dark turn on the interior lights. Sit with your hands on the wheel and inform the officer that you have a CCL and are armed. Then follow the officers instructions very carefully. Seems reasonable and if stopped I will definitely follow it. I see the point in not bringing up the gun, but as you said, in some states it is required.

The deceased driver had 79 previous traffic stops. I suspect the officer had reason to be nervous as he approached the car.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

79 previous stops that didn't end up with anyone dead. Sounds like a good track record to me.

In Ohio we are required to inform any officer who approaches us that we are armed. We do just as dustnchips described: show hands and wait for instructions.
    ​O|||||||O

Giving this some consideration, even if it was required, I don't think I'd do so.
    By doing so your basically announcing that you are a potential threat. If you knowingly or unknowingly do something the officer could consider furtive or a risk to him it could turn ugly since he knows there's a gun in the equation.

Here at least under my last chief we're not to use our title or badge in an effort to get out of a traffic ticket. Many officers use the I have a firearm announcement to introduce credentials. It's ok if the officer brings it up.
    I don't do that. I don't hear well and I don't want to fail to do what the officer ask me to do.

Last week I had an encounter with California Highway Patrol on the way home from Reno. Met him head on in the middle of nowhere, somewhere near Alturas I think. He had me at 90 plus in a 65. I didn't know I was doing 90, didn't intend to do so, thought I was around 70- 75. Anyhow, his first comment was my CZ hat. He said nice guns. I just agreed.
    He didn't think I was speeding on purpose because he said I didn't slow down when I saw him. I did instinctively let up on the throttle but I never hit the brake. That's an admission of guilt.
    At any rate he saw my plate (a Washington Law Enforcement Memorial plate) and asked if I was retired. My wife interjected that I was not and worked for our police department. The plate numbers are in our badge number sequence which is why many of us got them when we did.
    He really wanted to write me and I told him to do so, I had this one coming, I'd hold no ill will. We chatted about his potential hour long wait if he got in trouble. In the end being nice (just short of groveling) he let me go. He was a nice guy and I'd say that even if he had given me a ticket and it would have been a bad one, really bad.

At any rate, the issue of a potential gun on board never came up. The PM45 was on my ankle, I didn't have a belt gun on.
    I wasn't even shaking this time like I usually do even when my own guys pull me over to chat. I just get nervous, but not this time.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I didn't know I was doing 90, didn't intend to do so
    The Hillary defense won't necessarily work for us little guys.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Minnesota is NOT a "must inform" state.

A relatively newbie officer.

Scary stuff.... Costile was clearly trying to do "the right thing" but it went terribly wrong.

The only thing scarier is his GF... jeeze. At first, I thought the video was a complete hoax. She's too calm. Several shots, feet away, from in front of the muzzle - by all rights she should be dazed, stunned, confused, hysterical even, from the concussion and the event. She's too calm. Something ain't right.

I was stopped for speeding last year in Wyoming. I'm from Colorado, was in Wyoming for business, and I knew that my Colorado concealed license is legal in Wyoming, but didn't remember if I had a duty to inform. I pulled both my driver's license and my CCL permit out before the officer got to my window. As I handed them both to him, I told him that I didn't know if I had a duty to inform, he thanked me for letting him know and that was the extent of the conversation. I did keep my hands on the wheel whenever he was by the truck. It really was a non-issue, he was a decent guy.

As a side note, they did change the speed limit on that stretch of highway from 65 to 70. But they did it after I got my ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    ...Something ain't right.
    ^^^ this
    ​O|||||||O