Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights

Thread: Sight pusher/remover

Default Sight pusher/remover

I had to get my sights moved on my M&P, and I had heard that they can be a bear, especially with the low amount of metal on the side, to push on. I ended up paying $25 to get it done, and my gunsmith said that he wouldn't charge me for the cuss words. So, that got me to thinking.................maybe I should just purchase a pusher myself. Does anyone out there have/use a pusher/remover tool that they like, and actually works on many different types of dovetail mounted sights? There are so many out there, that it could be helpful narrowing them down to an " actually works" group.

Sorry can't help with a sight pusher recommendation but a gunsmith charged me $80 to change out the sights -front and rear- Big Dot on my Shield.

I use a Mepro pusher, they go for around 500.00 new, got a low mileage one for about half. So far I've only installed night sights on my K9, but it was pretty easy.

A lot of LGS places will install sights for free if you buy'm from them, but they cost more. The indoor range I shoot at charges 20-50 depending on gun model. Springfield XD's are fifty, 1911's are 20.00, they charged 20 for my PM45. I just wanted a pusher, so I could learn a little something.
    NRA Benefactor

I just needed my sights moved, they were a bit off of spec, and I was shooting high right. Usually, it's low for me, so I knew they were a tad off. He said the front one was the main culprit. He said in his experience, S&W, and Sig were the hardest sights to deal with. I've heard that Springfield's are horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by kwh View Post
    Sorry can't help with a sight pusher recommendation but a gunsmith charged me $80 to change out the sights -front and rear- Big Dot on my Shield.
    How do you like those dots????????? I've got them on my HK, and they kind of match up with my MK9, with the dot the eye system. I like them a lot, they've made me a more accurate shooter, with the old eyesight and all..............

I prefer the post/dot sights over 3 dot sights. Wanted a sighting system on my Shield similar to my Kahrs. I also have old eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    How do you like those dots????????? I've got them on my HK, and they kind of match up with my MK9, with the dot the eye system. I like them a lot, they've made me a more accurate shooter, with the old eyesight and all..............

There's quite a range of prices you can pay for a sight pusher. A "professional" universal model sight pusher can easily cost several hundred dollars. My first sight pusher came from SIG, made specifically to fit SIGs and that was a little over $100. My second sight pusher came from www.sightpusher.com, a general purpose pusher that cost about $60. They have a nice demo video that shows how to use it on a 1911.

I've used the SIG sight pusher on a P220. Clamped the slide firmly in the pusher, cranked down on the adjustment screw, nothing happened. More cranks, nothing happened. More cranks, then heard a loud "POP". Thought to myself, d**n I cracked the slide! Checked the slide and all was well. The POP was just the rear sight breaking free. Gave me quite a scare though. In retrospect, buying two sight pushers is likely more expensive than having a smith do the job and hopefully he does not scratch up your sight. Yet, it's nice to have the tool since after moving the sight, more adjustments may have to be made to fine tune the setting. Your call. Hope this helps you make a choice as I am not a sight pusher expert. Having that gunsmith do it for $25 doesn't sound bad at all.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

A fellow shooter pointed out Maryland sight pushers.......................odds are, I'd have to get more than one.

In my searches I haven't found a pusher with a blade that's compatible with the thin base height of the Kahr front sights. The front sights especially on the PM's are a really tight fit. \

What I've done for several sight removals / installs is use a piece of 1/4" brass bar stock with one end cut to a knife edge so it won't slip off the sight base to start the sight removal. If the sight won't move then I use an old front sight as a pusher in a vise with the slide held steady by a v block

To install the new sight I cut a notch the height of the sight base on the other end of the bar stock and then start the sight into the dove tail
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the reply. My shaved brass rod didn't budge the sight. Put a couple of good whacks on it . No movement. Sent The sights to Dawson for installation. Same price as Kahr but they are only 100 miles from me. 1100 miles closer than PA. Should see the slide back in 2 weeks. I can wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk