Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: p380 slidelock problem

Default p380 slidelock problem

I bought a P380 a couple of months ago. I broke it in for about 300 rounds. It now seems to load and cycle fine with five different types of ammo, but I still have a problem. It does not lock back on the last round--regardless of ammo. I've cleaned it thoroughly and it's well-lubed. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forums!
    There's been recent discussion in regards to your issue; perhaps you will find something useful to you in that thread: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...e-to-lock-back
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks Greg,
    Yes, I saw that after I posted.
    And then I realized that I'd left out a crucial point. When the pistol's empty, after being cleaned and lubed, it locks back every time. It's only at the range after firing live ammo that it fails to lock back after the last round. So it's evidently not the magazine or locking spring. What could it be?
    Also--possibly related--during the last 50 rounds I fired, there was a failure to completely cycle. The slide didn't come forward all the way and I had to bump it the last 5 mm or so.

First, the obvious question. Are you positive your thumb (rt. handed shooter) is not ever so slightly touching the slide lock lever while firing. Recoil does strange things to one's grip and any contact with that lever could prevent the slide from locking back after the last round is fired. Easy test. Fire a few rounds left handed, or grip the gun in such a manner it would be impossible for you to have contact with the slide lock during firing.

I shoot a fair amount of 1911's and my thumb rides the safety. No problem. Transitioning to, especially my Sigs, requires a slight grip change. I stopped worrying about the slide locking back on the last shot years ago. I am too old to retrain.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Thanks. I'll check that out!

Let someone else try the pistol, who is used to firing small pistols.

You said five different types of ammo, but what types? Ie, reloads, re-manufactured, bargain ammo, even WWB is rather low power.

Check the springs in the magazine(s), for correct orientation, failure of the follower to rise quickly enough would be an issue.

Thanks, but I think I've ruled out the magazines. I stretched the springs a little and made sure they were seated correctly. And lubed the heck out of them. Yes, the followers were a little sticky out of the box. Now they seem fine. And, as I said, the slide seems to lock fine when I pull it back. I like 340pd's response (that I may be inadvertently hitting the release on recoil). I'm eager to test that. I.T. experts call it I.D. 10 T error.

I'll let ya know what Kahr does with mine. It's there for that problem (and another problem)

It could be your ammo doesn't throw the slide back far enough or a combination of limp wrist and weak ammo.

A little disappointed. Went to range today hoping "340 pd" had solved the problem (suggesting user error--that I might be tripping the slidelock with my right thumb). I only had a box of Fiocchi and a handful of Speer Gold. I didn't expect a problem with the Fiocchi--FMJ with nice round tips. They would load only after several tries. And then, on about half of the followups, I had to bump the slide to make it fully close. AND, it still wouldn't lock back after the last round. Then I tried the Speer. They fed fine, but I had the failure-to-close problem on a few followups. It still would not lock back after the last round.
    As for the user error problem, I believe I ruled that out by holding my right thumb down with my left one.
    Will clean and lube again and try a different brand of ammo. I spent too much on this gun to have these problems!