Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new

Thread: kudos to Charter

Default kudos to Charter

Turned my Pitbull 45 around in a week. They got on Tues and shipped on Friday.

And its repaired and smoothed.

Zero complaints!

What was wrong with it?

As it happens mine is at a gunsmith. The barrel started to rotate to the right (clockwise while looking downrange). Pitbull has the opposite direction of rifling and I figure it happened because of the torque bullets impaired when accelerating.

I thought barrel started to unthread. But I had someone else have a look and he said that the new Charter barrels are not screwed in, they are pressed in. So if the barrel is not staked properly, it is free to rotate without changing the cylinder gap.

Mine had an overcock situation. When pulling the hammer back, aka single action shooting, you'd get a click at full cock, but if you kept pulling, the trigger's end would slide under the front of the hammer nose where the single action notch is. Either malformed hammer, or bad trigger, or the grip insert, which limits the extent of hammer travel, was no good.

All is well now. Was smooth before, even smoother now.

As for my Pitbull, you can easily see that the rifling would tend to twist the barrel counterclockwise, not clockwise, if it was subject to torque from the bullet.

As for being pressed in, total poppycock.

One can clearly see the threads on this 9mm Pitbull barrel.

You just had a loose fit barrel. I've had the same on Single Six Ruger and another revolver, but I can't remember. Maybe it was the King Cobra, cant say for sure.

Thought this was interesting...

http://www.thegunzone.com/charterarms_kb.html

Charter's customer service outlined there.

And, they will fix any of the guns, even made by the "old Charter", basically for free, so maybe it ain't so good to spend on a smithy with that kind of service.

I picked my Pitbull .45 from the gunsmith and indeed the barrel was threaded. The smith simply screwed it back in. I seem to recall it was a bit canted from the factory, in fact it was screwed in too much. So we'll see.

It can be pinned if desired but Charter will do it free

Sent my "first year of production" 44sp Bulldog to Charter Arms last week for refinishing and minor repair. Will post a report once it comes home.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!