Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front sight fell off

Default Front sight fell off

While shooting at my range today my front sight fell off. My range is at my house and the grass in that area is pretty high. I haven't been able to find it yet. I've emailed Kahr and I hope they can help me out. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've seen a few cases of that happening. As I recall, it sometimes has to do with a chamfer not being present on the top of the slide, at each hole. Usually with metal sights though it can happen with plastic. The lack of chamfer, or bevel, will prohibit the sight from seating fully flat on the slide and then it loosens and goes bye-bye.

You can lightly break the edge of the hole with a countersink, by hand. Just a tiny bit of bevel to allow room for the very tiny amount of radius on the posts of the sight. All hand work, just a twist or two of the countersink and the new sight is good to go when installed.

Kahr will replace the sight, no problem

I went on kahrs site to price buying a night sight. The shipping is unreal. To replace the plastic stock sight is $6.60. But the shipping was $11.60. So $18.20 for just the front non-night sight. Why not put it in the mail with a stamp on it? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by mpgo4th View Post
    I went on kahrs site to price buying a night sight. The shipping is unreal. To replace the plastic stock sight is $6.60. But the shipping was $11.60. So $18.20 for just the front non-night sight. Why not put it in the mail with a stamp on it? Seriously?
    It's likely shipping AND handling. Let's start a short cost list...Buy the part, inventory the part, keep the part warm and dry, pay inventory taxes, pay the people to run the parts dept, pay the person that takes the order, pay the IT department to keep track of it all, pay the credit card fees, pay the person who picks the order and packages it, pay for the packaging, pay for the equipment that prints the label, pay for the shipping itself, It's not as simple as put a stamp on it. Then there's traceability. I know you personally would never do this but there are those who would claim they never got the envelope with the stamp on it. It's a business. People could argue the cost allocations and all that but regardless, it's not like you sending your spare sight to Bob in the next town over. If they DID put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it it might save a buck or two. What if they just charged $18.20 for the sight and the "shipping" was free?

Default Front sight fell off

That would make more sense to me than double the cost for shipping. I'm not mad or bashing Kahr at all. I fully understand running a business and company budgets. I'm just saying wow, I wouldn't have blinked at a $20 sight with free shipping but to tell the customer that a 1/4 ounce plastic sight that's 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch costs $11.60 to ship is crazy. At my company I ship and receive items daily. I received an order this week that was three boxes, all weighing 8-10 pounds and about the size of a small computer printer. Shipping was $25. Most of the time shipping is inflated by the seller to make more profitable sales. So to answer your question, yes. I would rather be lied to about true cost over shipping.

Shipping is probably a moot point. I assume Kahr will be sending a new sight out no charge. When it arrives, CMB's advice about the chamfer is good. Heed that.
    ​O|||||||O

You ordered one part. If you had ordered many parts of small size then the shipping most likely would not have been as severe.

Or the same for all the parts
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Shipping is probably a moot point. I assume Kahr will be sending a new sight out no charge. When it arrives, CMB's advice about the chamfer is good. Heed that.
    You are correct sir. I got an email 15 minutes after Kahr opened today saying they would send the sight right out. That is the first time I've ever had to contact Kahr and I have to say that I'm impressed with their CS. I'm not used to manufacturers standing behind their products. As for the bevel, I'm hoping that since I'm replacing the front sight with a stock one like from the factory, I won't run into that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mpgo4th View Post
    I went on kahrs site to price buying a night sight. The shipping is unreal. To replace the plastic stock sight is $6.60. But the shipping was $11.60. So $18.20 for just the front non-night sight. Why not put it in the mail with a stamp on it? Seriously? . . .
    I had the same experience trying to buy a spare recoil spring for a P9. Evidently Kahr has never heard of a padded mailing envelope. I'm going to hold off until I really need a recoil spring then I'm going to order two of them.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat