Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace

Thread: Kahr 9mm magazines

Default Kahr 9mm magazines

Edited 16 June 2012: Ivanhoe has some of the best prices and shipping is $5 for the whole order... fast USPS Priority.

I just got in my K920G 9mm magazines from Cheaper Than Dirt... also another one for the P380. I want two "un-modified" ones for carry.

I ordered these early on August 2(2010) and they shipped that day... I chose the cheapest mode... Smart Post vs. $10.40 for UPS and
    I got them from the Postal Carrier this morning... 7 days from order to receipt.

Products Ordered:
    Item Description Quantity Price
    55021 Kahr Arms P380 K386 Handgun Magazine .380 ACP 6 Rounds Stainless Steel with Flush Baseplate 1 @ $31.10 each

27899 K9 K920G Magazine with Grip Extension 9mm 8 Rounds Stainless Steel 2@$32.08 each

NRA-BUCK Cheaper Than Dirt! Add-A-Buck Program Supports the NRA Preserve Your Second Amendment Rights! 1 $1.00
    Subtotal $96.26
    Shipping $6.62
    Tax $0.00
    Total $102.88

I took some pictures for comparison. The extended grip models are for range use, home-at-hand for defense, and reloads for carry.
    The springs for these are the hardest to re-assemble, but I can do it without tools. It should get easier after they set a bit.

The extended grips are friendlier when poking you in the side or pocket
    carry.

**EDIT**(20 Feb 2012) Check Ivanhoe Warehouse for prices and availability. Fast service and shipping $5 for whole order.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wyntrout; 09-30-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

a good way to put those magazine back together is to installthe follower and then the spring and then push the spring in the magazine as far as u can, then insert a nail in that last hold on the side of the magazine. It takes 90% of the spring pressure off your hands and the floor plate and locking plate will just slide right on..

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    a good way to put those magazine back together is to installthe follower and then the spring and then push the spring in the magazine as far as u can, then insert a nail in that last hold on the side of the magazine. It takes 90% of the spring pressure off your hands and the floor plate and locking plate will just slide right on..
    ...and there's also the cram it in and cuss at it repeatedly method.:32:

Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I've found that the handle of a 10" adjustable wrench to be the perfect size to compress the spring into the mag. With the wrench clamped into a bench vice with the handle up it's fast & easy compress and pin the spring.

Oh, no problem. The first attempt got half away from me. I hold the magazine in my left hand, rear to my palm and use that thumb to help gather up the spring as I compress it with the other hand, locking plate on top of the spring. When I get it all gathered into the tube with the locking plate in place, I can slide the base on. This is the more "manly way" to re-assemble the magazines... without aids.
    I haven't tried to load one, yet, and I'll have to range test these before I try depending on them for defense.

The last two P380 magazines I got are tight in the magazine well. They only protrude 1/8" or so and I have to pull them out all of the way. I used a caliper measure to check them and there's not much difference. I tried light sanding with fine sandpaper and got no improvement. I hope those work better after a trip to the range. I'll save them for range use until I can get them to drop freely like the older ones.
    I've only been to the range once with the P380 since I got it back and all of the magazines I had then worked fine... even the "modified ones" where I tried to add a detent to hold the cartridges in place. That only worked on the first round, though, holding it place. Subsequent rounds all advanced a bit and the detent didn't help with those.
    Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 10-28-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    Hell, that's practically cheatin' and takes all the fun outta watchin' the spring fly.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

The lower left picture(image #3) has the 7-round extended-grip magazine in the PM9. That's the one that gives most people trouble with FTF's and cartridges diving instead of going up the ramp. I don't really use it. In fact, I tried to turn all of the 7-round magazines into .40 S&W mags for the P40, using metal flush-fitting bases. They are a tiny bit tighter at the feed lips. I use only the 8-round extended grip mags in my K9... one inserted for 8+1 and 2 reloads next to the K9.
    The .40 and the 9mm share magazine bases and the followers are really close in size, but the 9mm mags weren't very reliable, so I quit trying to use them in the P40. The tubes seem to be different in the feed lips area.

EDIT: I gave up the 9mm to 40S&W use because ti was unreliable and unnecessary, since I have plenty of mags for both.

Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 05-27-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Just adding a new set of pictures for references... 9mm.

From left to right, in pairs:
    PM/CM/MK9 flush-fitting metal-based 6-rounders,
    K/P/CW9 "flush-fitting" polymer 7-rounders,
    K/P/CW9 extended-grip 8-rounders (older "chariot" or "helmet" based models), and
    K/P/CW9 extended-grip 8-rounders (newer models).

Also shown is one of the extended-grip polymer base sets.

From left to right, the pistols are Kahr PM9 (2006 "blunt-nosed" model) and the P9 (2004 Model).

Both pistols have the black metal bases and the P9 required the 3/32" thick 3/4" inner diameter O-ring to stop pinching when firing.

If anyone is wondering, I have at least 17 Kahr 9mm mags, not counting the ones for sale.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thomas Jefferson said

and