Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bicycles, what are you all riding?

Thanks for the motivation! Woke up early and went for a ride this morning
    CW9 1000 rounds * CW380 950 rounds
    www.jdlautodesign.com

Do you ride that beautiful track bike off the track. I'm curious what you do for the no brake situation.

We have a track near here with the really steep banked turns, actually mostly turns not much straightaway. They really get to ripping around that thing. I guess the lack of brakes is in case of a crash you don't skid over somebody???

I know that's the rule in ice racing motorcycles and quads. Back in my old flat track motorcycle days we weren't allowed front breaks, of kick stands or anything that protruded below the frame.

Went and watch some of that a few years ago and it's a different ball game now. We had true flat track bikes, now they got headlights, mirror, even turn signals, moto cross bikes, just about anything goes. Wasn't the same.

All this bicycle talk, I think I'll check out the new trick wheelchairs. Just for grins.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default 38 Minutes 5 Days a Week after weights - LOL!

^^^ looks like there's a place for your beer. That's cool.
    ​O|||||||O

I noticed that right off. Empty beer holder.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Last bike I had was a Schwinn 3-speed. Sold it before going overseas in 1957. Awesome bike.
    There are a couple of recumbent bikes zipping around our neighborhood - odd lookin' things. I think one is a 3 wheeler.

Yesterday while we were driving on one of our nearby streets, an adult on a bike flew past the stop sign on a side street without slowing down out into the intersection. The posted limit is 30mph and I had no stop sign - lucky for him I NEVER go over the posted speed limit in any neighborhood because of kids playing. We both hit our brakes and my Jeep came to a stop about three feet from his left front quarter. Dude started waving his arms apologetically & said he was sorry. Bet he had to go home and clean his brains out of his spandex tights.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

^^^There's a lot of stupid bike riders around that don't think traffic laws/signs apply to them. Sometimes Darwin does win.^^^

That being said, I've got one Marin Kentfield comfort type bike and a Sun EZ-Sport AX Limited recumbent. The recumbent is the longer version of Greg's bike. Got it for a very good price used (no way would I pay the amount of money that a new recumbent goes for) with a fairing on it. With the fairing it is pretty good in the winter as it keeps most of the wind off your chest and it does allow you to go just a bit faster. I put some clipless pedals on it also, first time using them I could not get unclipped and fell on my left elbow (bled like a stuck pig and had to use my sweat band as a temporary bandage) and also broke the rear view mirror. Happy to say that that's been the only time.

Ride both in fairly equal amounts but the recumbent is very much more comfortable after a long ride.
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

I'm researching these recumbents for my wife. Mostly I see them with the pedals very high and out front of the frame which doesn't look good to me for some reason. I like the way Greg's is set up with the pedals a bit lower and behind the front wheel.

Is there a name or style or something to look for to find that?

She rides a recumbent exercise bike kind of like Barths, only not so fancy and don't have a beer holder every morning.
    Seems like the recumbent bicycle would be a good fit.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Here ya go Colonel. Check this site out. Everything you wanted to know about 'bents but was afraid to ask: http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/recumbents.htm

I agree with MW = buy one used. They cost a fortune new.
    ​O|||||||O

^^^This^^^

There are quite a number of recumbent types as you have found. Greg's is a short wheel base and mine is a long wheel base. The short wheel base can have the crank either in back of the steering (front wheel) or ahead of the front wheel. Turning radius on mine is just about the width of a two lane road! Some are very low to the ground like the trikes and also some two wheeled ones that are low. Trikes come in delta (two wheels in back one in front), tadpole (two wheels in front, one in back).

PS - If it doesn't rain, I'll be on the recumbent from about 5 to 7 pm today and tomorrow from 6 to 9 am!
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.