Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Southerners and the American Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    Just one example that may explain any "resentment", though it has nothing to with the Civil War:

A few years back, the federal gov't determined that ALL states should raise the legal drinking age to 21, though this was not up to the feds as this was determined by each individual state, as in states' rights. To get the states to fall in line the fed gov't stated that highway funding would be withheld for any states that did not raise the drinking age. Most states fell inline rather quickly with a few hold outs. Once the funding was stopped most fell inline rather quickly. Louisiana was the last state to raise the age after a year or so.

Yep, northern aggression yet again. Does this sound familiar for anything that may have happened before or since???
    Oh yes, I remember it well. The National Minimum Drinking Age Act.

As I recall, New York aggressively opposed the bill, while Alabama not only embraced it, they passed a more stringent law.

And the president who rammed this down our throats, Ronald Reagan.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

What I'm reading here is that the animosity isn't really because of the Union victory in the Civil War, but more so because of continued federal legislation that the South is subjected to. And that the "Civil War" is more a symbol of the North telling the South how to live their lives.

Not really a question but more an observation - DC is in the northern section of the country, so any federal mandate could be seen as northern dominance.

Would it make a difference if the US Capitol were in Atlanta?

IMO, many Southerners would be happy if it were Richmond, VA.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Only because there would be a lot less stupid legislation if it were in Richmond.

And your right, that's what the civil war was all about. The south not liking the north telling them what to do and how to do it.

Sadly nothing has changed much.

Even here in Washington you can see the same thing between the West side of the mountains and the East side of the mountains.

The West loaded with liberal tree hugging cross dressing freaks, lets have 3 bathrooms so you can use the one you feel like today.

And the East still the land of common sense and right is right.

Sadly the West is high density population and the East is no, so when it comes to elections, the whacko's usually prevail.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Currently in AZ.
    But I'll retire in FL

OK, then the question is, would it make a difference if the Capitol were in Richmond VA?

I'm a Native Texan and a Southerner. We know the real history although it has been rewritten to be politically correct. There is a single lesson missed especially by those not from the South from any group. In the era prior to and during the Civil War, few Southerners were slave owners and probably could have cared less. However the lesson then and perhaps in my generation, they were incredibly loyal to their state unlike most (not all) Northerners who were loyal only to the dollar. Therein lies the difference, take notes y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by marshal kane View Post
    Not really because VA is mostly liberal due to DC encroachment. Best thing would be to go back to states rights for most things.

Now think about this. There are states that have legalized marijuana and the feds are tolerating it. Now what if some states said they would allow full auto firearms and supressors with no special registration? How would that go over?

Now since marriage can be between 2 men now, why cant I marry 3 women (not that I would want to) since marriage is no longer one man and one woman?

How did I get off on this? I guess it just shows how messed up the feds make things.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by marshal kane View Post
    Many Virginians aren't real happy with Richmond right now, given the Clintonista Governor we have. Our Attorney General is left Bernie! Thank goodness for term limits.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    I'm a Native Texan and a Southerner. We know the real history although it has been rewritten to be politically correct. There is a single lesson missed especially by those not from the South from any group. In the era prior to and during the Civil War, few Southerners were slave owners and probably could have cared less. However the lesson then and perhaps in my generation, they were incredibly loyal to their state unlike most (not all) Northerners who were loyal only to the dollar. Therein lies the difference, take notes y'all!
    I was going to stay out of this one but this ^^^^^ sums it up nicely. The real reason was states rights and the dollar.

Just a question, if slavery was the reason, why did Abraham Lincoln only free the slaves in those states that were in rebellion against the union and not in those states that the Union controlled. In other words, slavery where he could have done something about it, he left intact.

Both Lee and Grant were slave owners, inheriting slaves from their wives side of the family. Lee freed his slaves upon the death of his father in law in 1862. Grant kept his until 1865 when Missouri outlawed slavery. It is said the old saying "good help is hard to find" originated from Grant when he was asked why he did not free his slaves sooner.

My family was not slave owners, but we have the distinction of having an ancestor who it is recognized to be the last soldier to die under General Lee's Command. Sgt Ivy Ritchie, of the 14th North Carolina, the unit was called the Stanly Marksman, was killed by canister shot at Appomattox during the charge of Cox's Brigade on the morning of Lee's surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia.