Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slide not locking back.

Default Slide not locking back.

Finally got a T9 two weeks ago, got it from Grabagun, at what I thought was a good price, not great, but good. Anyway shoot 100 rounds of Freedom munitions 124gr hp plinking ammo.
    No malfunctions of any kind. Recoil is almost non-existent, very accurate. Really fits the hand well, it's a natural pointer, man she shoots sweet. However, the slide did not lock open on an empty mag. It came with three and same behavior on all three. I wrote it off to being new/tight etc...
    Brought her home and gave a good cleaning and lube, mags seem to work fine on the bench when I cycle the slide.

Yesterday went back to the range and brought my K9 too. Ran another 100 rounds of Freedom no malfunctions, plus 50 rounds of Hornady XTP, same issue slide does not lock open. Tried the T9 mags in my K9, locked open everytime, so I'm pretty sure it's not he mags. Plus when it does fail to lock open, it is difficult to remove the mags, I really have to pull on them.

Any thoughts? I going to run another 100 next weekend and then give Kahr a call, I suspect I need a new slide lock.
    NRA Benefactor

Just throwing some stuff out there. Do you shoot right handed? Does it occur on every time? Is it possible that since the size is different than the K9, you may be using a different grip that is causing the issue (hand preventing slide lock)?

Thanks for the feedback, but it's not me. I shot it left handed a few mags, nothing near the slide lock.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by kenemoore View Post
    ....got a T9 ..... shoot 100 rounds of Freedom munitions 124gr hp plinking ammo.....Recoil is almost non-existent.....the slide did not lock open on an empty mag....being new/tight etc...

Any thoughts?
    Just as the famous artist said that the sculpture was already in the marble, he only had to remove the un-needed pieces, such is your answer already in your query.

You're shooting ammo that is not the best to break a Kahr in with. Shoot HOT ammo. Costs a few bucks more. Shoot it. Your recoil spring will love you for it.

May we assume your slide locks back when its withdrawn manually, with a magazine in the pistol? If so, when you remove a magazine, and pull back the slide, does it unlock?

Assuming yes to both questions, the pistol is fine and more than likely you've got ammo that is not quite getting things done. Get some hot 124g 9mm's and shoot it. Two boxes ought to loosen things up well.

That recoil spring depends on the most rapid, repeated, full flexing, to take its proper set. It is made tight on purpose from Kahr, because they know it will take a set with use. Locking back the slide wont help, since that is not rapid nor repeated. Hand racking won't help, its not fast enough. Shooting does it, and shooting hot ammo keeps the slide velocity up and the spring getting its workout.

Thanks for the feedback, but it's not me. I shot it left handed a few mags, nothing near the slide lock.
    Did you try to compare the slide stop pin of the K9 to it? Are the pins interchageable? Call Kahr.

Even before I read CJB's response I was thinking the same thing. Going to run some hotter ammo and see what happens.
    NRA Benefactor

Well....No luck.
    Back to the range today, first up 3 mags of 115grn round nose everything ran fine, except no slide lock. Next up 3 mags of 124grn +P Golden Saber, same results no slide lock. I will say I did not notice much recoil difference with the +P. Next one box of Hornaday XTP, same results, no slide lock open. As I mentioned early, the slide does not lock open and the mags are difficult to remove.

Today once I had a fail to lock open, I manually racked the slide, did not lock open. Got out my light, and tried to take a look, it appears the magazine follower misses the slide lock and the follower is jammed against the slide lock, that's why they are difficult to remove, and why a manual rack does not help.

For some reason when firing, the magazine follower misses the slide lock, but at the bench with manually racking the slide, everything works fine.

I think I'm going to have to call Kahr next week. 299 rounds down range, and if anything the problem has gotten worse, in the beginning the slide would lock open on occasion, now it never does.
    NRA Benefactor

That's what was happening on my Ruger American .45

They replaced the slide stop, and I got three new mags, but really... three followers would have been just as good.

Time to call Kahr. Should be a no brainer for 'em though if you can get a good clear snapshot of how the parts are positioned.

I'm wondering if somehow you got the slide stop from a polymer gun in your T9?

Called Kahr during Lunch Break today, they told me to fill out RMA request on website, and I would be emailed everything I need. So I filled it out, I'll let you know if I get an email or not.
    They said I should send everything back, pistol and mags.
    NRA Benefactor

Called Kahr during Lunch Break today, they told me to fill out RMA request on website, and I would be emailed everything I need. So I filled it out, I'll let you know if I get an email or not.
    They said I should send everything back, pistol and mags.
    I'm curious on what you'll find out. I have a fairly new CM9 & 2 magazines, one magazine locks back every time, & one won't lock back at all. Leads me to believe it's a bad magazine .
    Surprised there isn't sticky on this, unless it's a recent (mfg) problem, or we're just 2 unlucky guys .