CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: FMJ or TMJ?

Default FMJ or TMJ?

New to Kahr (MK9). Manual advises against lead bullets. So, should I be using TMJ bullets, with no lead exposed @ base; or are regular FMJ okay? I know, it's an elementary question, but that's how I learn. Thanks.

Bare lead fouling the barrel is the concern. Any jacketed ammunition is fine.

The MK9 barrel has polygonal rifling. Some say lead bullets should not be used in this system. I really dislike cleaning leaded barrels so I shoot everything but lead regardless of the type if rifling it has. . The vast majority of my handloads utilize plated bullets which are a thin layer of copper over a traditional lead bullet and they are accurate and clean.

The short answer is, TMJ, FMJ, or Plated bullets will work perfectly and make your life much easier come cleaning time.

Enjoy your new gun.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Thanks. Considering loading Berry's or Ranier? Any advice from experience?

TMJ FTW!
    (Speer Lawman TMJ)

Tim

I use a lot of Berry's or Xtreme bullets just because they are easy to obtain. Never a problem with either.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

You can also use the Hi-Tex coated bullets and not have to worry about leading . Glock guy have been using them for a few years and I have used them in my tp40 kahr for a few years and now sig p320 40 and wifes sig p250 . All have polygonal rifling and clean up is a breeze , I run ether buyou bullets or Missouri brands and mostly swc profile now