Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace

Thread: Fiocchi Ammo

Default Fiocchi Ammo

I wasn't planning on shooting my CW40 today. But, since it's my EDC, I figured that 50 rounds would be a good thing. So I picked up a box of Fiocchi 170g truncated cone bullets. Big mistake. Now I know why they're so cheap. I usually get the Blazer Brass for plinking loads, but the $2 savings of the Fiocchi got me.

Never again. I didn't make it thru a whole magazine without at least 2 failure to feeds. The ammo is accurate, sure, but it doesn't have the "oomph" that my CW needs to cycle reliably. Two of the rounds wouldn't even chamber no matter what I did.

Just my rant for the day. Hopefully it can save someone else from the pain.

On the other hand, my Roger Standard Model gobbled up 250 rounds--Remington and CCI--without a hiccup.

No real point, just that friends don't let friends buy cheap ammo for their Kahrs.

I've used the regular Fiocchi in 9mm 115gr, .40 in 180 gr., and .45. in 230 gr. Shot the .45 out of a Sig, and never had an issue, but dirty. Shot the .40 cal. out of 2 different compacts, and again, no issues, but dirty. Shot the 9mm out of my MK, approximately 400 rds. Did I say dirty? Had some feed and eject issues. It is a longer bullet overall, than many others. I attributed the problems to power, dirtiness, and length, although it didn't seem to lack power. I don't use it anymore. I purchased a box of Remington 115 gr. JHP's in the light green box, and shot 50 out of a clean firearm. I was surprised how clean the firearm still was. It didn't take much cleanup, compared to the Fiocchi stuff. It's too bad too, because it is priced well.

I've got Fiocchi 38sp, 9mm and 45acp here.... while you wouldn't expect issues with the 38's, I've put the 9s and 45's through my Kahrs, no issues whatsoever - except - the PM9 did need a few kicks in the back of the slide (forward) during the first few mags, then ran like a Mexican toward Obamaland.

I have some Fiocchi .45 ACP with 200gr Hornady XTP HP bullets which I shoot in my .45 Beretta PX4, and as noted above, it is accurate. Nicely so. Yet, it blasts and flashes like a small handheld sun. Ridiculously distracting glowing plasma balls. The first shot gets on target, but any rapid follow ups are more like Hail Mary passes through the nebula of burning gases.

Some of it might be the slightly lighter bullet weight together with the less than 5" barrel leading to slightly less dwell time in the barrel, thus allowing unburnt powder to escape through the muzzle and ignite in the open air. Either way, it is WAY distracting.

I really do like the 200gr .45 ACP load though for shootability and accuracy! Very much. I shoot .45 200gr Speer Lawman TMJ for range practice (and in bowling pin matches, a MAJOR hoot! ).

I just wish Federal made a 200gr .45 HST.... Any other suggestions for standard pressure 200gr HP self defense rounds in .45 ACP?

Tim

I wish I would have the same luck you guys have with this Fiocchi stuff. I know if I would have brought my Glock 22 it would have gobbled them up no problem, even with the tighter chamber of the Wilson barrel that I have. Of course I think my Glock would cycle a load if it just had the primer--it runs everything I've ever put in the magazine. But the good news is that I have at least 5000 empty cases that need to be reloaded. If I wasn't so lazy I wouldn't have to worry about factory ammo for quite a while!

Quote Originally Posted by OvalNut View Post
    I have some Fiocchi .45 ACP with 200gr Hornady XTP HP bullets which I shoot in my .45 Beretta PX4, and as noted above, it is accurate. Nicely so. Yet, it blasts and flashes like a small handheld sun. Ridiculously distracting glowing plasma balls. The first shot gets on target, but any rapid follow ups are more like Hail Mary passes through the nebula of burning gases.

Some of it might be the slightly lighter bullet weight together with the less than 5" barrel leading to slightly less dwell time in the barrel, thus allowing unburnt powder to escape through the muzzle and ignite in the open air. Either way, it is WAY distracting.

I really do like the 200gr .45 ACP load though for shootability and accuracy! Very much. I shoot .45 200gr Speer Lawman TMJ for range practice (and in bowling pin matches, a MAJOR hoot! ).

I just wish Federal made a 200gr .45 HST.... Any other suggestions for standard pressure 200gr HP self defense rounds in .45 ACP?

Tim

Never shot it, but there is the VCrown from Sig. http://store.bighattacticalusa.com/c...9&asaid=as0001

Hornaday XTP's. http://www.ammunitionsupplycompany.c...tm?Click=30236
    NRA Benefactor

Have run FIOCCHI without issues in .380, 357 Sig, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

I have somewhere around half a case of that 170-gr and really had problems with it in my new P40. When I got to the last five mags full (of 8 with me) of 170's the first round wouldn't chamber fully. Pulling the slide back a tiny bit and letting it go would chamber the round or it might take pressure on the rear of the slide after that. I gathered up the ejected live rounds and made three mags and fed them through my old P40(shown with ammo) without a problem. I've polished the chamber a lot and it's not so tight.

The other ammo with me worked fine... WW100 in 165-gr and PPU 180-gr:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".