Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New P40 DLC... Black!

More pictures. First the method of moving the slide and holding it back to push out the slide stop lever pin... Works! Added some more pix at the end with a modified mag inserted... black metal base and O-ring to prevent pinches... slightly easier to CC.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wyntrout; 08-26-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I'm looking forward to trying this pistol out now. I don't know if I'll bother with the 5-lb Wolff striker spring until I check it out at the range again. I want to shoot some of my Speer 124-gr +P Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo.

I put my LaserLyte cartridge in the pistol and was pleasantly surprised that it's like a bore site in this pistol with this chambering! Usually it can be off several inches in almost random directions.

I checked with Kahr and the ported barrel will work with this one without modification of the pistol, so I'm still thinking about that... another 1/2+ inch of barrel and a little help with keeping the barrel down... maybe worth the sale price of $129 + shipping.

Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 08-30-2016 at 12:28 AM.
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    I used masking tape on the new P40 at the range (shown here). It now has a bike tube grip cover. This tube has made a lot of those. It's a new tube but probably at least 12 years old, not sure. The price tag say $1.99.

The slide has a scrape where the slide lock lever rubs it... too late to prevent that, but the slide mostly black now.

Wynn
    Picked up a P40 DLC like yours from CDNN while they had them on mark down. Have not made it to the range yet and enjoyed reading of your experiences. Did notice that I also have the slide release rub on the frame from racking the slide while doing break in procedure prior to shooting. Bummer.

I used a file to remove just a little of the rubbing area on the back of the slide stop lever. Just a few strokes worked. I didn't fix mine until after a trip to the range. I touched it up and it's not too bad, but not a perfect finish. I love the pistol, though. I was shooting it with the LaserLyte cartridge again tonight. I seem to have the "new" night sights set up pretty well. I need to test the pistol again and try my defense ammo. I want to carry it instead of my P9.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

FWIW, Wynn if you're interested, Shooters has two black P40s in the used case.

HA! HA! I'm not collecting them! They have a very used P45 DLC, but I didn't want to take a chance on it.

Maybe CDNN will have a sale on them some day.

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

That P45 has been there for quite a while. It's too worn to interest me, and the price is too high.

I went to the range yesterday to check ammo in my wife's G43 and to test my "new" night sights on my new P40 DLC. The P40 sights looked great at home using a LaserLyte cartridge and they worked well at the range... so glad... used Permatex Red on the sights... would be hard to move!

I checked out the pistol with several kinds of FMJ and Bonded 180-gr Remington Golden Sabers... which will be my carry ammo. The Speer 180-gr GDSB worked well, too. The only thing that didn't was the Fiocchi 170-gr FMJTJ. It would not feed... except for a 3-step process... rack or shoot, then relieve pressure on the cartridge by pulling slightly back on the slide and then letting go of it... to be helped into battery by thumb or palm... after EVERY SHOT... no fun at all. I had 3 loaded 7-round mags and that was tedious to empty the mags!

I did get several live rounds caught in the port and had to drop the mag and rack those clear.

Pictures. Images #3 & 5 show the common partial chambering. That was from round one in the magazine and has an "F" marked on the round for my ease in identifying the ammo at the range.

I guess that I can use that Fiocchi in my Glock 23C.

This time I did not shoot up all of my "good" ammo and was able to make sure that the P40 wasn't at fault. Everything else worked fine. I'm confident that the P40 can become my EDC.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I have had some issues in the past with Fiocchi ammo in 9mm out of my MK. A few nose dives, and a few fte's. If you measure the lengths of the different ammo that you've tried, I'll bet that the Fiocchi ammo is a bit longer in length than the rest. It works in 9mm and all other calibers in my other firearms. Sure seems exceptionally dirty. I tried some Remington 115 gr. a few weeks ago, and my firearm wasn't nearly as dirty, as the Fiocchi. I started with a clean gun each time and shot 50 rds. of each. The difference was almost amazing......................

I looked at the ammo and measured the overall length and found it was 1.127" for the Fiocchi, 1.1195" for the PPU, and 1.1175" for some WW FMJ. There were differences in the nose of the bullets, but I think the catch is the case mouth of the Fiocchi... quite square while the WW is crimped a bit and the PPU without as sharp an edge.

Thomas Jefferson said

and