Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New CM9 Range Report

Default New CM9 Range Report

I posted in the New Member area and figured that I should post the range report here.
    I am a long time revolver shooter. I have looked over the years, off and on, for a semi auto to carry that I would like as much as my wheel guns but have never been able to fine that gun. I still my not have found "the gun" but it's early!! I carried a Taurus M85 .38 snubby for a long time. It's an older model SST. Looks like a miniature S&W Model 66. Then I carried 2 1/2" my Colt Diamondback. I decided to quit caring it when Colt quit building them. Then when to a S&W Model 642 and have carried it for a long time. I have always carried IWB. I have tried pocket carry and it just don't work for me. I bought a Ruger LCP and tried carrying it in every pocket. Some people (my oldest son) can carry an entire tool box in their pockets with no problem. I just can't do it. Ankle holsters don't work either. So I carried the LCP IWB for a while. That's a waste of space. I have from time-to-time carried my S&W Model 64 w/3" barrel IWB. Not to bad but not great. I bought a CZ 75 Compact PCR and tried carrying that. It's a little too much. So I was reading about the Kahr CM9. The size and trigger seem to fit the bill so . . . . . . here I am.

My dealer had a PM9 in the case that I handled but didn't want to pay for so he ordered a CM9 for me. The size, weight and trigger action seem to be just right. The trigger is very much like a revolver. The length of pull is very similar to my 642 with springs. It fits IWB about the same as the 642 and is not much heavier. Now here is the rub. (Remember. I am a revolver shooter). I only have the one other 9mm. The CZ. So my experience in shooting 9mm is very limited. I ran 150 rounds through the CM9. All 115 grain FMJ. 50 Blazer Brass, 50 Remington and 50 Wally Would something or others. During the first 3 or 4 magazines in had a couple of nose dives. I think these were operator error because I tried to slingshot the slide. As long as used the slide release all was well. There were no FTE's. There were, however, two FTF's due to the round not going in to full battery. The slide didn't fully chamber the round. The firing pin hit the primer and dented it but it didn't go bang. I re-chambered the rounds and they did go bang. One round was the Remington and one was Blazer. The pistol does group nicely. The sites will take some getting used to but once I figured out where to point the dang thing most of the rounds went close the where the one before it went. I am about to strip it down and clean it. I did notice as time went by that the slide was easier to operate.
    I'm not quite sold on it yet. I like it but I think I will continue to carry my 642, for now.
    I have some size comparison picture of the CM and 642 but I can't post them.

^^^ what you describe sounds like normal break in. It could prove otherwise but you will know with just a few more rounds down range. Failure to return to battery happened a couple times when I was breaking in my CM45. It may have been my grip. It may have been lube (I found that the recoil assembly needed lube = rack the slide and give the exposed part of the assembly a squirt of lube). More likely it just needed shot a bit more. It went away on it's own.

You can post pictures after 30 posts. So get busy tellin' us more about them revolvers. I'm a big fan of revolvers...
    ​O|||||||O

Thanks!
    Just cleaned her up and downloaded the "10 Point Lube" diagram. I'll lube her up and take her out next week and blow a few more rounds down range. need to pick up a couple of hot carry loads to try out. Maybe I can get the hang of shooting these wheelless pistols!! I'll take along my 4" nickel Python for a few shots. It always makes me feel better!!

The Colts always put a smile on my face when I shoot them! The CM9 will too, when you get used to it.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

I think it will be fine. It is probably just an auto loader thing. I have a small accumulation of Colt double action revolvers. I recently acquired a Colt Government Model 1911 45ACP. I can't shoot it very good either. I'm sure it's just me! But I must say, the 1911 blew through 200 rounds of all kinds of crap. Including some hand loaded lead round nose. Took it out of the box, wiped the oil off of it and shot the crap,out of it. Even ran a few rounds through it using an old WWII era magazine that belonged to my fathers brother. (He brought it home from boot camp just before he headed to Europe and a very short assault on Utah Beach). I cleaned some rust off and it ran like a charm!
    ill keep working on it. I kind of like the idea of carrying more than 5 shots.

Just gotta love a 1911.

I have a 1942 model that I fired a magazine from that had been loaded since Korea. Never missed a beat.

Never part with that one.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The WWII magazine that I had was loaded. It had always been loaded. I remember when I was a little kid it was with my dad's gun stuff. He told me where it was from. When my dad passed away in 2004 it was still whit his gun stuff. I unloaded it a couple of months ago and the spring stayed compressed for a couple of seconds then popped up. I cleaned it up a little and it fired just fine. The only thing is the slide on the Government Model doesn't stay open on the last round like the new magazines do. I don't know if the old WWII pistols stayed open or not. I have several old 45ACP rounds from that era. I have been debating on whether to shoot them or not.

I have a CM9 with about 3 range trips on it. Get lakeline followers for your magazines if you want to eliminate the nosedive thing. 9mm rounds are tapered and when you stack a bunch in a striaght row, the top round wants to point down. The shape of the stock follower encourages the top round to do exactly that. Lakeline follower makes slingshotting a breeze too. I can even ride the slide home and it won't jam up. Before I shot it for the first time I detail stripped the slide and found some pretty big metal shavings inside the striker channel and the channel that houses the extractor. My extractor was even partially hung open because of one of the shavings. I also deburred the slide and took down all the sharp edges. Never a FTF or FTE yet. I definitely trust this gun. At first I sucked badly at shooting this little gun but it has all clicked and I think it is very accurate now. I also added a lighter striker spring which helped lighten the trigger pull. Love this gun now and wish it held a few more rounds. I use a pocket holster or a OWB quick slide type holster. I like the OWB because I can't stand having something tucked in my pants.

I have read about and looked at the Lakeline followers. It seems strange to me that you have to buy 20 dollar followers to make the factory magazines work correctly. But I did notice that the last round loaded into a mag had to be forced in to make it point in the right direction. I really like the size of this pistol and the feel of the trigger but, so far anyway, I have been really disappointed in the way the gun came from the factory with all the crud in it. And the funky magazines. I worked in the engineering business for 42 years. This whole gun seems to be a really great design that is poorly executed with not quite enough attention put into the last details.
    I am not giving up on it but it will be a while before it replaces my J frame. If ever.

You don't NEED the Lakeline followers but they are a good product. Your pistol is designed to run well on its own and it will. This forum is full of accounts from members just needing to work through the break-in, experiment with various ammo, and mate with their pistol. CJB does a great job of explaining how the springs work. You can browse around if you are looking for comfort. I don't apologise that it sometimes requires some patience because Kahrs are worth it. Best to you.
    ​O|||||||O