Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk about stones. Great big stones

Default Talk about stones. Great big stones

Ok, so I was reading another site, came across this story:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...turning-favor/

Couple of things ran through my pea brain. First, I watched the video, dude has a pair of hangy down thingies, of steel to let a black bear get that close and chuck a spear into it. Wow. Second, the flap with Under Armor WTF are they thinking? They cancel their sponsorship of his wife? Because some whiney goobers who wouldn't be caught dead in under armor anything start a change.org petition? I have a sneaking suspicion, the FUDD's will show their wrath, and maybe the same FUDD's will wake up to the rest of the troubles we face. I hope so.

Anyway, much respect to the person who spears a bear, black or otherwise, knowing that pointy stick will, not may will pizz that animal off. An animal that can not only fight back, but stands a pretty fair chance of winning that fight too.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Hey personally we spear bullfrogs here in Florida, as well as fish from above water - in a boat or on shore. I thought the bear spear was just a bigger, browner, meaner.... bullfrog! Cannot see the problem. Razor tipped spear, or arrow... bullet, or trap are all legal in one location or another. Use of dogs is also permitted in some locations. As long as the method used, and game taken is legal... they ain't go doodly damn squat diddy doo to say 'bout it.

In Florida, the use of dogs is perfectly legal in the taking of feral hogs - a non game, but nuisance species. There is a season for taking them on public lands, but can be taken at any time on private lands (last I checked at least). The usual hunt is for dogs to find, and chase the hogs, and the hunter will either slit the hogs throat to kill it, or release a .22LR from a handgun to kill it. I do not personally like that method, as the running hog will have strong tasting, almost tainted meat, no matter how it is left to bleed out. A walking hog just tastes better than one that died after it was running for a while being chased. But, folks eat 'em, and mostly will smoke the meat. I've eaten that, and its actually quite good.

Dunno what you do with bear. We got a few here, but folks go pineapple-thru-the-rectum whenever you hear about one being killed.

While I personally don't agree with the manner in which the bear was taken and yes he has brass ones I disagree much more with UA stance I've never bought their gear always felt it was over priced
    Al

I was wondering how he would fare after throwing the spear... standing there basically unarmed! the camera on the spear handle was really weird.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Probably had 4 friends out of camera view with 416 Rigbys just in case. That's what I would do.

Better safe than bear poo.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That's probably true, but he did look out of sorts after the spear was stuck in the bear. There's probably some hunting rule against having a firearm when you're hunting with bows or spears.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Rules are meant to be broken in love, life and youtube.

Firearms were not allowed during bow season back in my vertical days and probably still not but I never went without medicine for 2 legged vermin. I figured a 45 wasn't a hunting gun like the Ruger or Smith 44 I carried during rifle season.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    ...but he did look out of sorts after the spear was stuck in the bear. ...
    The video was a little weird, but UA's response wholly not kosher.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Completely agree jlottmc.

You've been awol for quite a spell, you and the wife both. Thanks for stopping in again and hope all is well down south there.
    I was just looking at some of the mesquite you sent up long long ago. Plenty of it still around of course.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

I know, things have been, well interesting. I'll tell you about them later in a PM or 5 if you want.