Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace

Thread: Sincere Thank You for the "New Kahr Prep" thread.

Default Sincere Thank You for the "New Kahr Prep" thread.

Found this forum a few months back when researching a new CW380 purchase. I'd never handled a Kahr firearm before, or even seen one at the local ranges, but it really seemed like the ideal pocket carry gun and/or BUG. Having spent mucho time toting around an M9 Beretta, I figured the bar dot sights would work well for me.

When I picked up the gun at my local FFL, I was shocked at how "rough" the action felt. And the recoil springs - yikes. Oprah's limo probably has softer springs! I could barely rack the slide without rubber grip gloves on. Having put a Bodyguard 380 through a pretty rough break in period (light strikes), I figured I'd give it a shot. My Bodyguard hated Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics JHP, and had every conceivable malfunction with WWB FMJ - until I polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish, and ran several hundred rounds of domestic manufactured FMJ ammo through it. S&W recommended US made ammo, as the primers were likely softer, and less prone to light strikes. On to the CW380.....

I followed the advise on the how to prep a new Kahr thread, and most of it was stuff I already do to a new semi-auto. Good, sound advise in that thread! The results were worth the effort, as my first 100 round range session was trouble free. The trigger smoothed out nicely, and racking the slide got easier as well. Polishing the entire outside of the barrel probably didn't hurt either, and looks good too.

After another good cleaning and lube, my next 100 round range session went off without a hitch as well. The CW380 ate every type and brand of ammo I fed it smoothly. And accurately! My suspicion that I'd do well with the Kahr bar dot sights was confirmed, and the smooth trigger helped as well.

I installed some rubber Talon grips, and put in a Lakeline stainless guide rod. The bluing on the factory guide rod was wearing off a bit, and besides, I'm convinced that Alfonse on this forum is a genius. His products helped my Taurus PT111G2 become the weapon I hoped it would be when I bought it.

Feeling pretty confident about the reliability of this tiny little gun, I figured I'd give it the "acid test". Perfecta ammo. Not a good move. Failure to go fully into battery, FTE properly on every round. After 3 mags of torturing the poor thing, I figured I'd just save that stuff for my Bodyguard - it actually likes it.

After 500+ rounds, I feel confident in carrying my CW380, and trusting it with my life. I shoot it better than my Bodyguard, and it hasn't even hinted at a problem - except for the failed Perfecta experiment. It's a joy to carry in a Desantis U7 Nemesis in my front pocket. My self defense ammo is Underwood Xtreme Defender +P 65 gr. Nasty little pills! Underwood advertises 1400 fps, and 283 ft lbs of energy for them. The little CW380 runs just fine with them, and a 2" group at 10 yds is no problem.

I'm really liking my CW380 - Kahrs seem to suit me fine. Was thinking about adding a CM9 to my 9mm collection, but stumbled on a heck of a deal on a new MK9 with night sights. I'll be adding the Hogue checkered wood grips, and the stainless guide rod from Kahr's website. I'd also like to visit the new Kahr facility here in Pennsyltucky, as I only live like 45 minutes away. Guess I'll have to give 'em a call and see if they'll let me do that.

Looks like Kahr has a new fan here, and a lot of the credit goes to the excellent advice I found here on this forum. Thank you so much!!!
    Last edited by Ed M; 08-23-2016 at 05:02 AM. Reason: sp

Welcome to the site.............................................. ..as a former Bodyguard owner, I can attest that you made a good decision purchasing the Kahr. Much better shooter. I put the Wolff set up in my MK, runs like a Deere. I prefer the dot the eye sights myself.

Welcome.

Ya might wanna get one of Alfonse's .380 strikers...just in case.

Great pistols you got there.
    ​O|||||||O

Striker very good idea! Welcome, and nice to hear the good report.
    Remember Muggsy. RIP Salty Dog. And the Tman

Thanks for the welcome and even more great advice.

I'm firmly in the camp of "Do it once, do it right."

Lakeline striker ordered and will be installed right away. It'd take a heck of a good throw to stop a bad guy with a CW380 that has a broken striker.
    Last edited by Ed M; 08-23-2016 at 05:03 AM. Reason: sp

Where can I find this new Kahr prep thread?

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...-of-a-new-kahr

There are several stickies under the kahrtech area that help.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks!!! The only site tech forum I was finding was the one for site technical issues. LOL

The Kahr Tech one is great!