Xssights   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun

Thread: Great time to buy guns and ammo

Light Bulb Great time to buy guns and ammo

Is this the calm before the storm?
    Or just good times?
    Nobody knows for sure.
    But guns and ammo of all types seem available and reasonably priced.
    I just ordered a 1000 rounds of Speer GDHP 357 Sig @ $499.
    Who says 357 Sig is expensive - LOL

Prices and supplies are indeed making a buyers market currently. It's all up to Trump whether it stays this way. I'm not waiting to find out.

Well..... .22lr is still over priced.

I have done a little buying, but it sure adds up... especially when I see a pistol at a good price. I don't think that I'll ever get a .308, but I would like to have one for a battle rifle... though I would never shoot it except to sight it in... thus, my reticence. I think of the ammo and magazines and other doodads... sights for the .308!

So far, I bought 3,050 rounds of 9mm... thought I would get a 2nd Glock 43 as primary EDC, then saw the deal on the black P40, so I need at least another 1,000 rounds of .40 FMJ. I did buy another case of .45 FMJ, so I need to look around for a good deal on .40, maybe some more PPU 180-gr light shooting FMJ. I'm still thinking of the ported barrel. I need to try some Blazer Aluminum in the un-ported new P40. That stuff is ferocious... with flash and recoil.

I did save some money by using the fairly recent... 2012/2013... Trijicon sights that I already had, by putting the rear XS Tritium Vee sight on the old P40 to match the front Big Dot sight.

It was more fun when my wife was working and I had 25-30K more to "budget"! Now I'm running a balance up on cards, but pay all off before due... so far!

USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Recently we bought a stack on safe to store ammo, now it's all locked up.

Don't forget to stock up on reloading supplies!

I am somewhat surprised that there has not been a surge in pricing given the uncertainty of the upcoming Presidential election and the record breaking number of NICS requests which accompany a purchase of a firearm but I have faith in the law of supply and demand.

During the 'shortages' of recent years three things were happening, civilian hoarding, significant military demand and a ramping up of production by arms manufacturers. Once production quantities satisfied the demand (civilian purchases/hoarding and military), manufacturers and suppliers have been faced with excess production capacities and inventories and have responded by aggressively cutting pricing. I have seen quite a bit of this in the last year or so.

Based on the repeated successive months of record breaking NICS requests that have been occurring for the last few years and, I assume, a commensurate pace of ammunition purchase, I am surmising that the combination of increased production capacity, decreased military and civilian/hoarding demand has resulted in what we are seeing now, good availability and stable to decreasing prices, even in the face of increased buying due to uncertainty surrounding the upcoming Presidential election.

All year is a good time to buy just being at the right place at the right time definitely puts a bigger smile on your face.
    I agree on the surge coming soon & have stayed ahead of the rush.
    BOB

I think this is a great deal: Ventura Tactical .380 ACP 56gr Fragmenting Fluted RN as target ammo. Its the Ruger/Interceptor ARX bullet which I really like, but in bulk packaging. I suppose they use their own brass and powder, I don't know. 87.50 plus shipping (about 15 bucks for me) for 250 rounds.
    Runs flawlessly through my P380 and costs about the same as round nosed fmj. I've burned through an entire 250 box now and just sent in my second order. Can't tell the difference between that and the higher dollar Ruger ammo, so I quit trying and use the Ventura for carry ammo as well.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

I hadn't made any great purchases of ammo for a while, including stuff that I bought for resale, but in the last two months I've bought 5,050 rounds of mostly FMJ for 9mm, .40, and .45.

Looking at the Lucky Gunner Ammo Tests I've been changing some of my defense ammo use... can't get everything that looks good, though, so had to settle. Got some non +P Remington 147-grain Golden Sabers for my wife's G43. I didn't want to put my +P 124-gr GDSB's in hers.

The Remington 180-grain defense loads were at the top of the charts for .40 and I DO have plenty of 180-gr Bonded Golden Sabers for my .40's. The normal Golden Sabers were the #1 for expansion with the Bonded coming in close at #3. Their Ultimate Defense was #2.

For .45 Winchester has several but I couldn't find any... or any that wasn't overpriced.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".